Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm pretty sure the torque converter in my wifes Ody is failing. I noticed a lot of surging/stumbling at fairly constant speeds around 100 to 115 Kph yesterday. Since I don't drive it much, I was not aware how often this surge was happening although I have felt it occasionally in the past. It appears that this is a well documented problem with the Ody torque converter.
Since the Ody was purchased in the US, I doubt there would be any coverage by Honda Canada for repairs. I will be making a driving trip to the US in Feb 2011. If Honda USA will cover repairs under warranty i'll take the Ody down.
Couple a questions-
1. Anybody else with a US Ody get warranty work done in Canada or US
2. Would the torque converter fall under the powertrain warranty

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Read the shudder/judder thread. Its long but has very good information.

The torque converter does indeed fall under the powertrain warranty so you have 5 years 60K miles. That said, there was a recall issued for a s/w flash. So, if you drive down, don't just expect them to put in a new torque converter for your Oddy. Odds are that they would flash your van and then if it still is a problem then they replace the torque converter. You might need 2 trips to the US to get this done.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you can get warranty at all you'd have to goto the US as Honda does not warranty grey market vehicles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Honda US says "transmission", not mentioning the TC, so I guess it is part of the powertrain warranty:

http://automobiles.honda.com/information/honda-care.aspx#powertrain

As to US vs Canada, while Honda denies coverage of US vehicles in Canada, you could take it to a dealer to perform the software updates (even if they charge you, it should not be too much).

Once that is done, and if the problem continues, call the same dealer, check out what they can do and if they cannot help under warranty, start calling the US.

Good luck.

Nicolas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess i'll check with the local Honda dealer about the cost to have the flash done here.
I will be in the States for 5 weeks so if they do the pcm flash and it doesnt solve the problem, I have the time for the torque converter fix.
I'll just have to see if I can find a US dealer that says they would cover it under the US warranty.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the 2nd judder update done by a Canadian dealer as well as the brake plugs. I have a US imported Ody. Canadian dealers will do recall work but nothing else. Bring it in to the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Monky,
Did the update cure your judder problem??
I'm a little skeptical if that would work and I've read thru these forums that in some cases it made the judder worse :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
dingodad said:
Hey Monky,
Did the update cure your judder problem??
I'm a little skeptical if that would work and I've read thru these forums that in some cases it made the judder worse :(
I actually didn't have the judder issue but Honda suggested I get the update done. It was the 2nd update and now I think I have the judder issue. The dealer has been awesome and has been working with me to diagnoise it but they said the judder is very slight. It is one of those things that never happen when the dealer has the car. The dealer needs to have a computer attached to collect data for Honda to approve additional work.

Two other things I noticed with the update is (1) worse fuel mileage avg 15.5 mpg before and now 14.5 mpg (2) weird shifting as if the tranny didn't know where it is. Notice it when coming to a rolling stop and going again during traffic.

I am currently monitoring and to see if I can reproduce the issue consistently, I will bring it back. Also, there is some chatr of a 3rd update? If so, I might get it done.

Since you think you have it, take it to your dealer and see what they have to say. If it is the judder issue, get the update done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts