Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search for this on the forums and didn't find this, so I apologize if I am being a total newb here...

I am looking to buy my first (GULP) minivan and as a current Acura owner, there is no doubt that I am going with the Odyssey.

Having said that, my price limit is about $20,000 and it looks like most of my choices are between 2007 and 2008 vehicles. I am pretty sure I want the EX-L and nothing lower. I have been reading about the run flat wheel issue, but is there anything else I should be aware of? I remember when I bought my Acura MDX I wanted a version that was one year later because of the side airbags, so I realize that one year CAN make a huge difference sometimes.

So, is there any major reason that I should avoid 2007 and earlier? Or do I NEED to go with a 2009 even?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
513 Posts
The main change happened between 2006 and 2007 for the tranmission, with the 2007s getting what seems like a more robust model.

The 2008 has the new look front and back ends, the EX-Ls also gain an AUX input in the front, temperature-based AC in the back and backup camera with an LCD in the rearview mirror (not sure if the last one was standard.. Probably other things, but that's what I know...

Take your time reading the site.

Nicolas

Nicolas

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you - that is helpful. Regarding the PAX/wheel thing that seems to be a problem. Is that standard on the 2007 EX-L and optional on the 2008?
Meaning, if I buy a 2007 EX-L, I have to have the PAX, but if I buy a 2008, I will have to check with the seller to see if the vehicle has it or not?

I have been reading a lot on here and it seems like everyone dislikes the PAX and I am assuming I should avoid it at all costs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thank you - that is helpful. Regarding the PAX/wheel thing that seems to be a problem. Is that standard on the 2007 EX-L and optional on the 2008?
PAX only came on the Tourings from 2005 to 2010. EX-Ls have the same wheels and tires as the EXs. Do check the tires and wheels as someone here told how they got their Touring de-PAXed by the dealer they bought it from, and that dealer just switched wheels with an EX/EX-L.

Nicolas

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an '07 EX-L and I believe I remember the equivalent '08 comes with these improvements (you'll want to double-check on an '08):
  • Aux input on the stock radio
  • Daytime running lights with auto on/off headlights
  • Plastic grill for the lower-front opening to help prevent issues with A/C condenser punctures
  • The VCM engine runs with either 3, 4, or 6 cylinders (the '07 is just 3 or 6)
  • In my opinion, better-looking stock wheels

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought used 2007 Odyssey from dealer. I bought extended warranty and after 4 years transmission died under warranty. A year later, died again!
Found out on Consumer Reports, 2007 Odyssey had a big black circle on transmission. Had transmission rebuilt and was told factory bad part in tranny that year.
Bought new Odyssey.
Check Consumer Reports before you buy.

·
Registered
543 Posts
PAX only came on the Tourings from 2005 to 2010. EX-Ls have the same wheels and tires as the EXs. Do check the tires and wheels as someone here told how they got their Touring de-PAXed by the dealer they bought it from, and that dealer just switched wheels with an EX/EX-L.

Nicolas
While they all had pax the '08+ had it optional. The wheels look very different for the pax vs non pax. Non pax is a 5 spoke wheel and the pax wheel is a 10 spoke.

Other than that I wouldn't hesitate getting an '08- '10 touring or the '07 - '10 EX-L since they didn't have the pax issue and the upgraded transmissions

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Not sure why this 6 year old thread is back, but keep in mind the EX-L has VCM so you would want to disable that with VCMuzzler or equivalent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts