Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help. I have a battery draining issue on my 2008 Touring and here is what I know. There is a 0.75 amp draw when the car is off and nothing is left on. I have load tested the battery, checked the alternator and it is all good. What I did find on the internet is that when they ship these vans they pull the "Backup Acc" fuse to prevent battery drain. Sure enough when I pull that fuse the current draw goes away and my battery is fine. The problem is that fuse powers nearly all the accessories inside. So then I put that back in and starting pulling the fuses out one by one to isolate where the short is coming from. But I am coming up empty. Oh and this battery draining - current draw only happens in the cold weather. Any ideas? Also what is the STS fuse? Is there wiring diagrams online? Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with my 2008 Touring. I bought it on 11/12/2010 with 33k miles on it. When I was test driving it the nav would not work because they needed the code. They said that the battery had died the night before and that they had jumped it off right before I got there. They obtained the codes while I was out on the test drive and everything seemed to work. Since then, I have noticed that there was a possible drain issue since I lost the seat memory setting once after playing around with the van while it was not running. Yesterday, I left it at a shop to get new tires put on it and when I picked it up, the battery was dead and it had to be jumped off. I don't know if the battery has a bad cell or is just on its way out but I am going to have the dealership test it next week. Also, yesterday was the first major cold day since I've had this car. I've read that there is a 3 year warranty on the battery with the third year being a prorated amount. I have not decided if I am going to go with another stock battery or buy something a little better if I have to replace the battery.

Sorry I can't be any help with a solution but maybe it helps that there is another 08 Touring owner out there with a suspected battery drain issue. Could the .75 amp draw be the clock or nav system?

·
Registered
57 Posts
battery issues

i don't know about anyone else, but this is our second ody (previous was a '04) and both have had imho, relatively crappy factory batteries...

don't know who makes the honda battery, but after the second on died in our '06 ('06 touring, res/nav, silver pearl metallic/black, currently almost 84k miles)...

we just ended up replacing with a battery from costco...

been fine since then...the only thing i need to watch out for is every now & then the kids'll leave their 2nd row reading lights on...obviously, easier to notice in winter when it gets dark sooner, but during the rest of the year, there have been a few times where i've walked into the garage at night and noticed a light on...

the other thing i've done, but my wife isn't a huge fan of, is to simply use the rocker switch on the dash near the shifter to shut all the lights off...

i assume this button exists on the '08...if so and the switch is set to "off", is there still the minimal draw you notice??? curious...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same problem with my '07. I hear Honda now has a power management system for the '11 models. I plan to get an interstate battery soon. I've been left dead in far to many places.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the '08, but I will toss out an idea in case it helps. On the earlier models at least, the multiplex control unit goes into "sleep" mode after the van has been locked for 3 minutes. It draws less current when sleeping. Presumably, they built in the sleep mode so it wouldn't drain the battery.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
davedrivesody said:
I'm not very familiar with the '08, but I will toss out an idea in case it helps. On the earlier models at least, the multiplex control unit goes into "sleep" mode after the van has been locked for 3 minutes. It draws less current when sleeping. Presumably, they built in the sleep mode so it wouldn't drain the battery.
Actually, models that use B-CAN communications take up to 30 minutes before going to sleep mode. Once in that mode, anything over 75 miliamps is excessive draw.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Back at the Honda dealer again. Some routine serivce, and the battery. Guess what?Itt finally failed after numberous complaints over two years. No longer covered under warranty. Ain't that just dandy, and convenient.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 odyssey battery problem

Our Odyssey is 1.5 years old. I am about to take it in for the second time to have the battery replaced. I have to jump the car first. 9 months ago, when I asked them to search for why the battery kept dying, they said there was no problem. I am loosing my confidence in Honda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my battery tested last week at the dealership. They said that it was fine.

This afternoon, I sat in the van for 6 minutes exactly listening to the radio and setting up the multi-information display and the battery died. This was after driving around for 20 minutes. I know the times because I was trying to kill an hour and did not want to walk back into my office until 3:00.

I am going to pick up a new battery this evening on the way home. A battery should last more than 6 minutes with the radio playing while the display is being programmed. If the OEM battery only lasts 35k miles then it is not worth getting another OEM battery.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
AMM0029 said:
I had my battery tested last week at the dealership. They said that it was fine.

This afternoon, I sat in the van for 6 minutes exactly listening to the radio and setting up the multi-information display and the battery died. This was after driving around for 20 minutes. I know the times because I was trying to kill an hour and did not want to walk back into my office until 3:00.

I am going to pick up a new battery this evening on the way home. A battery should last more than 6 minutes with the radio playing while the display is being programmed. If the OEM battery only lasts 35k miles then it is not worth getting another OEM battery.
You're right, 6 minutes of this activity should not drain a battery. But on the other hand, driving even for 20 minutes could actually drain the battery if the speed is slow and high-power accessories were on (e.g. seat heaters, fan, lights, AC, etc.)

If it were me, I would get the battery tested before springing for a new one. The OEM battery is not the best, but further diagnosis would be in order if it tested okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just had the original battery replaced at warranty on our Touring 2008.

Dealer said "the bad cell was draining the battery".

Will see how long the new one lasts...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery Drain (Possible) Fix

I have a 2004 Odyssey and recently went through the draining battery deal.I would leve for a biz trip come back and have a dead battery at the airport.

The fix for me: It was traced to the radio and the shop said it is common. Open the hood find the fuse box (mine is a little box 3x3", front and center right). find the fuse titled "Entertainment", mine is green and has "20" written on it- You should probably refer to manual. Pull the fuse and see if its the fix. You will need the code # for your radio if you have a security system, when you put fuse back in. If thats the fix go buy a new radio at a sterio shop and have it installed/hooked up to DVD... The Honda repalcement radio is $1100 and may end up doing the same thing.

Best,
Charlie

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a 2004 Odyssey and recently went through the draining battery deal.I would leve for a biz trip come back and have a dead battery at the airport.

The fix for me: It was traced to the radio and the shop said it is common. Open the hood find the fuse box (mine is a little box 3x3", front and center right). find the fuse titled "Entertainment", mine is green and has "20" written on it- You should probably refer to manual. Pull the fuse and see if its the fix. You will need the code # for your radio if you have a security system, when you put fuse back in. If thats the fix go buy a new radio at a sterio shop and have it installed/hooked up to DVD... The Honda repalcement radio is $1100 and may end up doing the same thing.

Best,
Charlie
:rollingeyes:

You've got to be kidding... :huh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
battery follow-up

well...we ended up replacing the Honda battery with one form either Wal-Mart or Costco...I think it was Costco...in any case, that one crapped out as well (within a week)...took it back to Costco, they replaced it, of course...took it to our local independent mechanic...apparently a lot of acidic crap had built up on the terminals...our Ody ('06 touring / pearl siver metallic-black / res + nav)...our mechanic cleaned off all that junk...listened to what I told him about how many problems we'd had within the recent, ridiculously-short time frame (to have so many battery issues)...he clipped off the "fancy" Honda factory battery terminals (w/red plastic cover, etc.), dipped the battery cables in a cup w/ a baking soda/water blend for a while (this apparently eats away the corrosion thats occured, even up along the cables, not just at the cables clipped ends) as the concoction turned blue-ish...attached onto the cable ends some "old school" battery post terminals, and "cross-my-fingers", we haven't had that problem since...

i'm not an electrical expert, but perhaps Honda has simply over-engineered something that should remain relatively simple...

whatever happened to Honda's old advertising slogan? "we make/keep things simple"???

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The problem with after market radios is they are being connected to a hot lead from the battery. If they are connected to a switched fuse they would hot be drawing power when the switch is off and it would eliminate the drained battery.
Even if the soaking the corroded cable end removed some corrosion it is still there and will be back in time. The solution is to replace the cable. The problem is started by a leaking battery terminal in the first place If the post is corroded the battery is leaking and needs replaced and the corrosion cleaned up before it starts up the wires. A coat of silicon grease will help preventing the corrosion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello jecarter,

Have you found a solution to your battery draining problem? I found your question while researching my own Odyssey battery draining problem. I think it is the same as you experienced. This is what I found:

With the car off, the battery current drain settles to 750mA. I think that is too high, but do not know the normal current drain for a 2006 Odyssey Touring.

Removing the "Backup Acc" fuse located in the engine compartment, the current drain settled to 1.8mA.

The current drain was traced to Fuse #7 (BACK UP) in the fuse box located under the dashboard. Fuse #7 appears to control the clock backup on the radio, keyless entry and door signal.

Further tracing would require removal of the dashboard to access the radio.

Were you able to fix your battery draining problem? Was the current drain caused by the radio, or some other source?

Best regards,
Jon

I could use some help. I have a battery draining issue on my 2008 Touring and here is what I know. There is a 0.75 amp draw when the car is off and nothing is left on. I have load tested the battery, checked the alternator and it is all good. What I did find on the internet is that when they ship these vans they pull the "Backup Acc" fuse to prevent battery drain. Sure enough when I pull that fuse the current draw goes away and my battery is fine. The problem is that fuse powers nearly all the accessories inside. So then I put that back in and starting pulling the fuses out one by one to isolate where the short is coming from. But I am coming up empty. Oh and this battery draining - current draw only happens in the cold weather. Any ideas? Also what is the STS fuse? Is there wiring diagrams online? Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a similar issue. battery drains out if car not used for 3 days. My current draw when van is off came in a little over 1 amp - very high. When I pull fuse 5 (radio) it drops to 0.5 amps and fuse 7 (back up) also another 0.5 amps. I tried pulling every other fuse but nothing drops the current draw. This is unacceptable if the van draws this much power when not running. Let me know if anyone any found any solution to this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
so here's where we ended up with our battery drain issue...2006 ody r + n, 107,xxx miles...took it into "HONDOCTORS" here in North Las Vegas...they found that there was a 3amp draw...someone suggested this somewhere else...in any case, they traced it to be coming from the A/C compressor Clutch relay...replaced the relay...seems it continued to stay "stuck" in the "ON" position, thereby generating the draw...approx. a $6 part for a solution to a ridiculously huge headache over time...perhaps our earlier bouts of dead battery were a sign this is dying...in any case, for now it seems to be resolved...heads up...i am not sure this is completely related, but ever since our timing belt/water pump service was performed, it seems the something's been working "harder"...i.e. it seems a bit rougher running at idle...my guess at this time is the belt was over-tightened when replaced and perhaps this accelerated the a/c compressor clutch relay burnout...just throwing that out there as it is the only other issue with the van at this time..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rough idle

Working "harder" or rougher idle points to incorrectly installed timing belt. It can be off by a tooth, and still seem to work ok, but you will feel slight difference in performance when driving. Tension is not the cause. I'd suggest going back to doctors and have them set it right. The thing is, it's not that simple, and it may be very tough to persuade them to do something about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thanks...i probably will take it to them...they're not the ones who did it...i have a general all-around independent mechanic i've been using for about 13 years who did it, but having not gone right back to him, i don't know that i have much of a case...regardless of that, these "hondoctors" have come highly recommended by a few people and are located substantially closer to our house, making it more convenient to use them, AND we've been looking for someone a little closer to who who performs good quality, reasonable service...i was considering using hondoctors for the more substantial 30k service as well, but have discussed the possibility of going to them and having them re-do the timing belt/water pump service to see if we get a better result...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts