Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Odyssey and it's great, but the navigation is very old and sluggish.
I have searched and haven't come across something in the last 8 years where someone replaced the stock nav with anything like an aftermarket Android based radio.
Included is some pics of what it looks like, there's a giant cd changed behind the navigation by the way.

·
Super Moderator
13,558 Posts
Just like how you still bought a 12 year old Ody, the information that is 10 years old is still very relevant.

That thread should have almost ALL the information you need for your install of a newer than last 8 years radio. Good luck with the install. Do grab a lot of pix and post a new thread for others. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's a really good video by dial2fast on YouTube on replacing this model headunit on the third get Odyssey.

I followed the video exactly and replaced the head unit and added a backup camera in the same process.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Im on the same boat, but what I have done is get a Bluetooth receiver, connected to the aux port, I use my phone with Android Auto + Bluetooth is basically what newest cars have. For the rear entertainment system, I have a Chromecast connected to the video port in the third row which allow me to cast stuff for my kids while on the road (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc...) I use my phone as a hotspot to be able to cast. I had an echo dot a few years ago for voice command (music, weather, Smartthings) but I didn't end up finding a good reason to have it in the car. On the other hand GPS I think all the oem ones are pretty useless as long as u drive a Tesla, nothing better than google map on your phone. Pretty much all those little devices have help me bring my 08 to 2020. LoL. In our vans (EX-L Res) if you remove the oem headunit you will loose the voice command feature (Alexa's Grandma) which I never use but hey at least I know it is there, I rather keep mine as OEM as possible, while adding devices that cover my needs with messing with OEM equipment.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So
Im on the same boat, but what I have done is get a Bluetooth receiver, connected to the aux port, I use my phone with Android Auto + Bluetooth is basically what newest cars have. For the rear entertainment system, I have a Chromecast connected to the video port in the third row which allow me to cast stuff for my kids while on the road (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc...) I use my phone as a hotspot to be able to cast. I had an echo dot a few years ago for voice command (music, weather, Smartthings) but I didn't end up finding a good reason to have it in the car. On the other hand GPS I think all the oem ones are pretty useless as long as u drive a Tesla, nothing better than google map on your phone. Pretty much all those little devices have help me bring my 08 to 2020. LoL. In our vans (EX-L Res) if you remove the oem headunit you will loose the voice command feature (Alexa's Grandma) which I never use but hey at least I know it is there, I rather keep mine as OEM as possible, while adding devices that cover my needs with messing with OEM equipment.
How long did it take to fully do?
Any suggestions or products you would recommend, and anything you used you think would be helpful for me to do?
How much did it cost and how long ago did you do it?
Would you recommend the guide listed above as a good guide to starting to replace the head unit and just remove all nav radio and overhead DVD and replace all of them?

·
Registered
259 Posts
So

How long did it take to fully do?
Any suggestions or products you would recommend, and anything you used you think would be helpful for me to do?
How much did it cost and how long ago did you do it?
Would you recommend the guide listed above as a good guide to starting to replace the head unit and just remove all nav radio and overhead DVD and replace all of them?
@kaimanson kept the the factory system and just added a Bluetooth audio receiver connected to the front Aux jack to stream audio from his phone through the audio system.

I did something similar, but since mine is an '07 I don't have a front input, and needed to cable it back to the Input by the third row seat. The one I used was only about $10 and can also handle calls. When I'm using another source (CD, Radio, etc.) I have a Bluetooth visor mounted speakerphone for calls. Basically for navigation I use the phone for turn by turn directions, and use the built in GPS for a larger map I can zoom in and out on to give a overview I don't get with the phone.

Here is a link to a thread on the topic: Best Bluetooth Setup with aux port

Note in Post #5 someone recommended a more elaborate Bluetooth Adapter that integrates with the system and in Post #10 there is a link to the Bluetooth adapter I use and find works well.

I personally couldn't see spending much money just to stream audio from my phone given the age of the vehicle.

·
Registered
779 Posts
@BertS is completely correct. I'm still on OEM equipment from Nav to Res. Everything is connected to the original Aux port and rear video port. Everything added up doesn't even get to $100.

Chromecast $25
Video converter from RCA to HDMI $15
RCA cable $5
Power adapter with two usb port $15
Bluetooth receiver $30

·
Registered
320 Posts
Id like to see a writeup of someone rigging up the motorized door over the changer so you can hide a six pack or your stash in there.
(I quit all that stuff 20 years ago but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts