Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I have a 2008 EX-L that appears to be leaking transmission fluid from a sending unit of some sort. I had the ody on ramps and I was taking out the transmission drain plug and I noriced that the bottom of the trans is soaked with fluid. There is a sending unit threaded into the front of the transmission, that you can only see from underneath. I tried to get a wrench on it but I'm bumping into crossmember and the bottom of the radiator. I searched the forum but I'm not finding any similar posts. Any input would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Al.

Based on your photo, it appears that I have a leak from the threads of the third clutch transmission fluid pressure switch, just above the s/n tag on the tranny case. Attached is a photo of my situation.

I'm 1 year out of warranty, but this has been sneaking up on me for awhile. Although the bottom of the tranny case is covered with fluid, I haven't had any spotting on the garage floor. I'm guessing that the leak is at it worst when the fluid pressure in the third clutch is high, like when I'm rolling down the highway. This explains why I see splatter on the undercarriage aft of the tranny.

I've been a forum member for ten years and I can't believe that I have the first example of this issue. Let me know if you are aware of any related threads etc.

....Mark

08 Ody EXL Tranny leak caption.jpg

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Any oil leak must be approached logically. The problem with any oil leak is: what appears to be the source is not.
This is because when going down highway, there is so jmuch wind blowing that 2-3 drops of oil can fly to different places.

My suggestions:
1. Clean the area really clean and wipe it dry.
2. Once a day, drive it up the ramps and use a flashlight to pinpoint the source of the leak.

Having said that, the #1 cause of ATF leak in the 3rd generation Ody is the Auto Trans output seals (I have talked to many Honda mechanics and this is what they told me).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mark, while I don't necessarily think this is your problem by the attached photo, the porosity (sp?) of the trans cases from Honda are also suspect for this gen. Ody. Just something to keep in mind. My '07 has weeped ATF for 40K miles. I monitor my trans cases and ATF levels when I change my oil and clean the trans cases regularly to be certain their are not leaking from somewhere else. I guess every vehicle has its own quirks.

As cnn, suggests clean everything up and start trying to identify where the leak(s) are originating from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts