Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2008 Honda Odyssey Cylinder 1 Misfire + VSA Light

2343 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  thscott
I recently had an issue with my Odyssey where I was getting a cylinder one misfire along with the VSA warning light. I took it to the dealership being that I had never seen the VSA light come on with a misfire and the dealership is telling me that I should replace the piston rings. I know that this is a common issue with this year range Odyssey however I asked them how they came to that conclusion. Basically they said they just read the code and noticed that there was oil on the plug I asked them if they did a compression test and they said no. I took the van home and completed a compression test and surprisingly that cylinder is reading the same/better compression as all other cylinders. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to have a bad piston ring while still having good compression? (my assumption is no)
2. Where do I go from here? What are other common causes for having oil fouled plugs while having good compression?

After driving the vehicle for a while you can definitely smell oil burning coming from the engine bay. It doesn't seem to be consuming a too much oil however I still need to monitor this closer. There is a very small amount of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe it seems to be completely white no blue tint and not crazy amounts (this is at idle, unsure about when on throttle but there is not an increase in smoke while driving, may update post later with picture)

Below are the pressure readings for each cylinder and cylinder one is showing 175 PSI as compared to 170 on a majority of the other cylinders. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,039 Posts
How many miles and what trim level?

Read this;

Change plugs.

Install this;

Add this to fuel;

Then keep an eye on plugs.

And avoid dealer.

JMTs

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L | 110,000 MI |
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles and what trim level?

Read this;

Change plugs.

Install this;

Add this to fuel;

Then keep an eye on plugs.

And avoid dealer.

JMTs
I already read a majority of the thread on VCM just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing other potential reasons for oil seeping into the cylinder. And also confirm that if the compression is not bad the cylinder rings cannot be bad.

I appreciate the information on the bypass for the VCM as that was the next thing on my list to research.

It is a EX-L with 125k.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
As said, your issue is quite common; reported and discussed here once or twice every week it seems. It is caused by the VCM. Muzzle the VCM and you should be fine. Never go to the dealer. They clearly gave you bad advice in this case.

· Registered
3,671 Posts
I took it to the dealership being that I had never seen the VSA light come on with a misfire
You have had misfire codes before, but without VSA being turned off, on this vehicle?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have had misfire codes before, but without VSA being turned off, on this vehicle?
Yes, cylinder 6 had a fouled plug, replace the plug and it ran fine. I have not had any further issues with cylinder 6 and the spark plug looks like new still, replace about 18 months ago. I will say that I replaced the cylinder one spark plug probably 2 to 3 months ago and it's already coated in oil tip and threading.

Both times I had misfires vehicle stability was on however this is the first time I had the VSA light lit on the dash indicating an issue.

· Registered
3,671 Posts
Interesting. Generally, VSA is turned off when the MIL comes on.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
These J series V6 engines are solid. Outside of VCM they usually don't have ring issues.

· Registered
29 Posts
While I am new to the VCM issue I would take the advice of @thscott and get the VCM tuner.

However, I would also question the condition of the valve guide seals.
In the "olden days" this was a common issue with oil fouling plugs but compression being good.
No real test for it but changing the seals thus I would go with VCM tuner first.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
While I am new to the VCM issue I would take the advice of @thscott and get the VCM tuner.

However, I would also question the condition of the valve guide seals.
In the "olden days" this was a common issue with oil fouling plugs but compression being good.
No real test for it but changing the seals thus I would go with VCM tuner first.
VCM Tuner II

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VCM Tuner II
I appreciate the additional opinion, that's the route I'm going. Once I install the VCM Tuner and swap out the spark plug and try to burn out all the crap back and let her know if this resolve the issue and troubleshoot farther from there if necessary.

I was hoping I would be able to troubleshoot this first because I have a bunch of other things on the list to do like brakes all around, new tires, new canister pressure valve so I'll cross my fingers.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
I appreciate the additional opinion, that's the route I'm going. Once I install the VCM Tuner and swap out the spark plug and try to burn out all the crap back and let her know if this resolve the issue and troubleshoot farther from there if necessary.

I was hoping I would be able to troubleshoot this first because I have a bunch of other things on the list to do like brakes all around, new tires, new canister pressure valve so I'll cross my fingers.
I was not offering an additional opinion. I was simply correcting post #9 that referred to VCM Tuner vs VCM Tuner II. The latter is the one to get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.