Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the same situation. I replace leaking gaskets and a couple days later received. P3497. I have since done a complete oil change. No difference. Changed out the oil pressure switch on the spool valve, No change. I did find that typically I can drive low speed with no issue, eco light comes on and goes off. As soon as I am at a higher highway speed, Check engine light comes on and code P3497 shows back up. I cant help but to think that the issue was started when changing the gaskets. Possibly while moving the wire harness out of the way? Old wires getting brittle. I have not jumped the solenoid to verified correct functionality of it yet. I will post anything else I try and hopefully we can find an answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took the solenoid assembly off this morning. I wanted to look at just what may have transpired when I changed gaskets and torqued it down without a torque wrench. There is a spring loaded piston in the assembly, I moved the piston using a small rod. From the wear marks you could tell it was not traveling as far as it normally did. After moving it back and forth it finally broke free and started traveling the full stroke. Maybe something got in there? Maybe the housing tweaked do to me over torquing it? I reassembled the unit. Took it for a test drive. After a couple high speed passes (65-75mph) letting it drop to eco mode, the light came back on. After the engine cools I will pull it apart and see if the rod still has full travel or if it is hanging up once again. If it is hanging up I will assume I doomed the part from over-torque. If it still slides the entire distance, I will find a wall and commence beating my head into it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WE HAVE SUCCESS! After all the troubleshooting I had done I figure that even if the solenoid was opening, it the gasket is not sealed (small hole that goes no where) The oil pressure that should be directed to open the valve would flow elsewhere and would not work correctly. This may have been from me over torqueing the original gasket set that I bought off of amazon. I had already replaced the oil switch which did not change the issue. At this point I knew next steps would be solenoid. For the price of the sensor, solenoid, gasket I could have purchase Dorman 918-056 off of amazon for $90+. The part included sensors, slide valve, solenoid, gasket, metal plate, new bolts, and standoffs. After getting the package and the wife finished sanitized the crap out of it (seriously) The gasket definitely looked different. I installed the part and made sure to stick with torque specs of 6 ft lb, or 72 in ln (no newton meters). Took reassembled the harness and such and took the van on the run that has failed every time so far. No check engine light! Took it on a longer high speed run and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! Continued to drive and get annoyed how many times it actually goes into ECO mode. No check engine light. Brought van back to the house, wife sent me out to get dinner (more test for the van) more success! If you just replace the gaskets and didn't properly torque the bolts by the part I did. Wife will be happy and now I have to fix the drywall that I damaged pounding my head on the wall with this issue. Also oil leak is still gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
400 miles after oil change now have check engine light again and rough idle and lack of power.
haven’t pulled code yet any help appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WE HAVE SUCCESS! After all the troubleshooting I had done I figure that even if the solenoid was opening, it the gasket is not sealed (small hole that goes no where) The oil pressure that should be directed to open the valve would flow elsewhere and would not work correctly. This may have been from me over torqueing the original gasket set that I bought off of amazon. I had already replaced the oil switch which did not change the issue. At this point I knew next steps would be solenoid. For the price of the sensor, solenoid, gasket I could have purchase Dorman 918-056 off of amazon for $90+. The part included sensors, slide valve, solenoid, gasket, metal plate, new bolts, and standoffs. After getting the package and the wife finished sanitized the crap out of it (seriously) The gasket definitely looked different. I installed the part and made sure to stick with torque specs of 6 ft lb, or 72 in ln (no newton meters). Took reassembled the harness and such and took the van on the run that has failed every time so far. No check engine light! Took it on a longer high speed run and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! Continued to drive and get annoyed how many times it actually goes into ECO mode. No check engine light. Brought van back to the house, wife sent me out to get dinner (more test for the van) more success! If you just replace the gaskets and didn't properly torque the bolts by the part I did. Wife will be happy and now I have to fix the drywall that I damaged pounding my head on the wall with this issue. Also oil leak is still gone.
did it cause the engine to run rough?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you so much so how does misfire clear?
I was hoping that my plugs are not fouled out because of oil consumption.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cleared the misfire code with a basic cheap obd scanner. The plugs were fine, it just treated as a misfire after running it while it was in the crappy running mode. (Like eco mode was stuck on)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Rather than "hoping" why not pull the plugs and verify? It's easy enough to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rather than "hoping" why not pull the plugs and verify? It's easy enough to do.
Totaly agree, 10mm socket, spark plug socket. Your are on the front side of the engine so its super easy to get to. Verify your plugs are good and it eliminates a possible issue while diagnosing. (BTW check your warranty on plugs, some plugs come with lifetime warranty even if they are fouled)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My code is p3497
VPS stuck off.
I did purchase the dorman part will change next chance.
today van didn’t run bad just light is on
will check plugs. Thanks again fur help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totaly agree, 10mm socket, spark plug socket. Your are on the front side of the engine so its super easy to get to. Verify your plugs are good and it eliminates a possible issue while diagnosing. (BTW check your warranty on plugs, some plugs come with lifetime warranty even if they are fouled)
FYI original plugs 150,000 miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
The front plugs look fine no oil deposit just 150,000 old

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cleared code,and drove a few miles under 65 mph. No light.
I tried checking torque on mine just now Also.
My torque was over 72 inch pounds on original equipment gasket change out.
So I guess I’ll change out to new part with new gaskets and take her down road for 65 mph. Trip. I read in someone else’s that a re torque fixed there issue.
obviously not with my case. sure strange that it works for 400 miles before it throws a code again.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts