Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Wondering if the 100,000-mile recommendation for changing the timing belt can be stretched a little. Maybe 125,000?

thanks,
Darrol

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
218 Posts
You probably could, but it's not really worth gambling on your engine.

The timing belt is technically 105k miles OR 7 years, whichever comes first. So really, all 3rd gen vans should have a new TB by now.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Agree. In theory you could stretch it to 300,000 miles but that would be risky. So would 125,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
IMO age plays an even bigger role in the risk. The recommendation is 7 years/105K miles because rubber degrades regardless of miles. The same time frame is recommended for tires. At 12 years it's already been stretched plenty IMO.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
218 Posts
IMO age plays an even bigger role in the risk. The recommendation is 7 years/105K miles because rubber degrades regardless of miles. The same time frame is recommended for tires. At 12 years it's already been stretched plenty IMO.
Agreed. I got lucky, didn't change mine for 13 years, and it lasted until I got it changed, but I'm definitely gonna stick to 7 years from now on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply everyone. The timing belt has been changed once before but not sure of the mileage. Have thought that it was changed around 100,000 to 110,000. However, the timing belt sales receipt shows bought 8/19/2016. So likely the timing belt has less than 100,000. I bought the van with 160,000 miles on it and now has 200,000. It's been a great van, and dependable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would change it. Why risk having to drop $2-3k in fixing the top end if it breaks? I picked up a 2010 a couple weeks ago with 166k, it was never changed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, good call on that one T_Duck, great example of how they wear with age and mileage.
I picked up an 06 Ody with the T-belt bird nested in the engine along with several bent valves and who knows what else, haven’t got into yet. Oh yeah, it had around 140k on it, guy was trying to stretch it out.
Funomance, I wouldn’t chance it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, good call on that one T_Duck, great example of how they wear with age and mileage.
I picked up an 06 Ody with the T-belt bird nested in the engine along with several bent valves and who knows what else, haven’t got into yet. Oh yeah, it had around 140k on it, guy was trying to stretch it out.
Funomance, I wouldn’t chance it!
Yeah, "they will stretch", until they break. LOL. That was my number one issue when haggling with the dealer, helped get the price down a lot and the service manager at the local shop said I'm very lucky that it hadn't snapped.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it's not a big deal to stretch it a little. You are taking a risk, though, and while the risk may not be high, it may or may not be worth it.

Logic would say that age matters just as much as mileage, but I'm not 100% convinced. I had my 13 year old belt replaced earlier this year because the tensioner was shot and the belt was loose, making a rattling noise. If I hadn't replaced the belt, and the timing jumped, I would be looking at a rebuilt engine. But, the 13 year old belt (with only 82K miles) itself was in perfect condition. I have never heard of (doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I've just never heard of it) a timing belt on a Toyota/Honda made in the past ~25 years breaking before it reached the recommended 105K mileage interval, even if it had well passed the time interval. I didn't change the belt on my Toyota Camry until 16 years old and 81K, but that is a non-interference engine, unlike the Odyssey.

So, your van has 200K now. Do you plan on selling it at 220K and only want to get another 20K out of it? Or do you plan on keeping it to 250K+? I think it's relatively low risk to push it another 20K if you weren't going to keep the car past that point anyway. If keeping it for longer, there's no point taking additional risk over the next year or two, just to have the belt replaced then.

You also don't know what was replaced last time. Like I mentioned earlier, my belt needed replacement because the tensioner was shot. If you're not sure what parts are new, you could be running a bigger risk of one of the associated components (i.e. water pump, tensioner, etc.) taking out the timing belt when they fail, even if the belt itself was fine.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Don't wait do it. I sometimes see cars from a human perspective. Once you get to certain age some test are expected to find any abnormality in your body, with the goal of fixing it before is too late. We should apply the same philosophy here just my three cents.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
218 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it's not a big deal to stretch it a little. You are taking a risk, though, and while the risk may not be high, it may or may not be worth it.

Logic would say that age matters just as much as mileage, but I'm not 100% convinced. I had my 13 year old belt replaced earlier this year because the tensioner was shot and the belt was loose, making a rattling noise. If I hadn't replaced the belt, and the timing jumped, I would be looking at a rebuilt engine. But, the 13 year old belt (with only 82K miles) itself was in perfect condition. I have never heard of (doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I've just never heard of it) a timing belt on a Toyota/Honda made in the past ~25 years breaking before it reached the recommended 105K mileage interval, even if it had well passed the time interval. I didn't change the belt on my Toyota Camry until 16 years old and 81K, but that is a non-interference engine, unlike the Odyssey.

So, your van has 200K now. Do you plan on selling it at 220K and only want to get another 20K out of it? Or do you plan on keeping it to 250K+? I think it's relatively low risk to push it another 20K if you weren't going to keep the car past that point anyway. If keeping it for longer, there's no point taking additional risk over the next year or two, just to have the belt replaced then.

You also don't know what was replaced last time. Like I mentioned earlier, my belt needed replacement because the tensioner was shot. If you're not sure what parts are new, you could be running a bigger risk of one of the associated components (i.e. water pump, tensioner, etc.) taking out the timing belt when they fail, even if the belt itself was fine.
I can somewhat understand this. I'd imagine the TB interval is somewhat conservative, because of the risk of the engine, and even I didn't replace my belt until 13 years, 90k miles, and it was still in fairly good condition.

I don't really agree with your second to last point about keeping it or selling it. If you're selling it, sure, it could go 20k, but if it doesn't, you'll have to do the belt before you can sell it, and a recently changed timing belt could potentially even increase the value a bit.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
I can somewhat understand this. I'd imagine the TB interval is somewhat conservative, because of the risk of the engine, and even I didn't replace my belt until 13 years, 90k miles, and it was still in fairly good condition.

I don't really agree with your second to last point about keeping it or selling it. If you're selling it, sure, it could go 20k, but if it doesn't, you'll have to do the belt before you can sell it, and a recently changed timing belt could potentially even increase the value a bit.
I guess my point is that the van at 220K miles won't be worth much... say, $1,500. Generally speaking, any maintenance money you put in the car you never get it back upon resale. The chance that the belt breaks within the next 20K miles is going to be small, maybe 5%.

Say he replaces the belt now. It'll cost $600+. Assume in 20K miles, he can sell the van for $1,700 since the belt was changed. Expected value of the van = 1700-600 = 1100.

If he doesn't replace the belt, he can sell the van in 20K miles for $1,500. There's a 5% chance the belt will break and send the car to the junkyard for $300 in scrap. Expected value = 95% worth $1500, 5% worth $300, so $1440.

Of course, you're still running the risk of the belt breaking while it's inconvenient and you have to deal with the whole mess of a broken-down car. But if this was me, I'd be making the decision based on how long I planned on keeping the car. If I changed the TB, I would be planning on keeping it longer than 20K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow--thanks you guys. When, I saw that the receipt for the belt was from 4 years ago and I think the guy didn't drive it a whole lot after that ---thought I should save the money and put into other things on the van--radiator, transmission fluid change, etc. Not sure how long I will keep it and presently living in while I travel all over the country. It is perfect for that and may be doing this some for the next couple of years??????. And so, I need to make a decision. Thanks so much for all your thougths.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Get the Aisin kit for $200 and have a trustworthy and competent mechanic install all the parts. It’s not that big of a deal.

If your current belt is only 4 years old and has less than 100,000 miles on it, it is low risk that it will fail soon. This important info was not revealed in your initial post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Wondering if the 100,000-mile recommendation for changing the timing belt can be stretched a little. Maybe 125,000?

thanks,
Darrol
My 2003 timing belt was changed at 150,000 miles, together with the serpentine belt, pump and tensioner and steering belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did ours at 125k on our ‘07, with the same stuff that Nap had done. With a motor mount and all OEM parts, it was under $1k.

·
Registered
65 Posts
07 EX with 95,000 miles, I’m at 13 years. I realize I stretched the time quite a bit. Was thinking about selling but it’s not worth selling because I probably won’t get too much for it. Relatively problem free van. I should probably get it replaced soon.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
218 Posts
07 EX with 95,000 miles, I’m at 13 years. I realize I stretched the time quite a bit. Was thinking about selling but it’s not worth selling because I probably won’t get too much for it. Relatively problem free van. I should probably get it replaced soon.
You probably should. My 06 EX had it done at about 13 years at 89k miles, and even then, it was a bit worn.

Reactions: nash1234
1 - 20 of 46 Posts