Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dealer sold me a vehicle, initially he said that the damages were cosmetic but as I saw the final report , it had little more than what I had bargained for. It has some AC Repiar , coolant changes and so on.

Dealer is offering a $3100 maintenance package which they say will cover if any issue is found during the next 5 years or 60,000 miles. I am not sure if I should take this package. It seems good option but again does 2008 ODY has lot of problems ?

I used to own a Honda Accord , I did not encounter a single problem with my Accord.

I also reviewed the 2008 Recall on Odyssey's VSA Brake issue. I will ask the dealer about it and ensure that this problem has been fixed on this vehicle.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated as I am loosing my sleep over the deal. Will this Odyssey work like the accord or will I end up having issues. Please advise what are my option's. Does Honda offer any packages for Used vehicles that I can avail of.

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
You're even thinking of buying a vehicle with more damage than first disclosed? If they misrepresent something obvious, what else are they hiding from you? What's wrong with you? Pass.

You're thinking of spending $3100 for an after-market extended warranty (at best, a ripoff in any case)... on a Honda? What's wrong with you? Pass.

There's other vehicles out there...

Oh, wait... I just noticed... you've bought the vehicle already?!?

What's wrong with you?

·
Registered
205 Posts
For the 2008 there was also a recall for the transmission where the firmware was reflashed to prevent the shudder/judder. The VSA fix and the tranny firmware update are the only two recalls I know of for that model tear. There were a number of TSB's but fortunately none affected me. You can find the TSB's in the stickys at the front of the forum. Read thru them before you go shopping as they could be potential problems and if you are out of warranty, you pay for out of your own pocket. Good luck in your search.

You should still be able to get a Honda Care extended warranty. The is a forum here that is for extended warranties.

BTW not everyone on this forum is as judgememtal as BoogetyBoogety and most are more helpfull too.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If you are loosing sleep over it WHY are you even considering it? You will be shaking in your boots every time you get in it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dealer sold me a vehicle, initially he said that the damages were cosmetic but as I saw the final report, it had little more than what I had bargained for.
What exactly were the damages on this vehicle? Did you have it inspected by another mechanic before you bought it?

Dealer is offering a $3100 maintenance package which they say will cover if any issue is found during the next 5 years or 60,000 miles. I am not sure if I should take this package. It seems good option but again does 2008 ODY has lot of problems? Does Honda offer any packages for used vehicles that I can avail of?
I bought a 2008 EX from a private seller a few months ago and then bought a third-party mechanical breakdown policy that was almost a third of the cost ($1,100) of what the dealer is trying to sell you. Honda Care was not an option for me and I don't believe it is for you either. But there HAS to be a better policy out there and one that does not tie you to a specific dealer for service!
Send me a PM if you have other questions. I also live in the Atlanta area (Decatur/DeKalb Area)

·
Registered
411 Posts
BTW not everyone on this forum is as judgememtal as BoogetyBoogety and most are more helpfull too.
Sorry you feel I'm coming down hard on someone for something obvious. At least I can spell "judgemental."

Do the following: Google "[name of aftermarket warranty offered] complaints" before you buy any of those ripoffs and devote an hour or two to read what you're in for. There is not a single, solitary, not one aftermarket warranty worth a flip out there. None. You're better off banking the money and paying for repairs out-of-pocket.

Most of those warranties' representatives are really good at weaseling out of providing "covered" repairs. Example: Say the fine print doesn't cover vague "electrical" problems, but your fuel pump supposedly is, and your fuel pump goes out. They'll ask if you have a manual or electric fuel pump. Since it's electric, they'll say "electric components are not covered."

Good friend of mine, a lawyer, worked closely with the Texas Attorney General's office for a number of years, and he loved sharing the horror stories from these many outfits that crossed their desks. So I'm not being... judgemental here. Just trying to save you more grief.

Now, if you can get a manufacturer's extended (HondaCare) or CPO warranty, by all means. They have skin in the game, and they'll take care of you. But an aftermarket warranty? The commission on those can approach 80% to the salesman. You'll just be burning money...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dealer is offering a $3100 maintenance package which they say will cover if any issue is found during the next 5 years or 60,000 miles. I am not sure if I should take this package. It seems good option but again does 2008 ODY has lot of problems ?
Your van currently has 49k and they are selling you warranty for up to 60k. So you are paying $3100 for 11k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts