Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, folks. New guy here. My engine growls at me. The sound is constant - if the engine is running there is the sound - and it changes pitch with the RPM of the engine: greater RPM = higher pitch. When I put pressure left or right on the steering wheel, the volume increases somewhat. It's not chatter-y sound, but a smooth-ish sound. The engine light isn't on, plenty of oil, power steering and brake fluid, everything appears to be running like it should. With the hood up it's coming from the passenger/belt side of the engine; I thought it might be a belt but I can't see anything rubbing up against anything else. Anybody else have this sort of experience?

Bill in Kansas City, MO

- Measure with a micrometer. Mark with a crayon. Cut with an ax.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
956 Posts
Is it more of a whine?

Alternators and power steering pumps are known to whine on these cars.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You can also use a short length of heater hose or some other tubing as a stethoscope. Hold one end at your ear and the other end at the power steering pump and then near the alternator. Be very careful not to get caught up in the moving belt. You should be able to isolate where the noise is coming from. Could also be the compressor, Tensioner pulley or the idler pulley. The hose stethoscope will help pinpoint this for you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hiya, folks. New guy here. My engine growls at me. The sound is constant - if the engine is running there is the sound - and it changes pitch with the RPM of the engine: greater RPM = higher pitch. When I put pressure left or right on the steering wheel, the volume increases somewhat. It's not chatter-y sound, but a smooth-ish sound. The engine light isn't on, plenty of oil, power steering and brake fluid, everything appears to be running like it should. With the hood up it's coming from the passenger/belt side of the engine; I thought it might be a belt but I can't see anything rubbing up against anything else. Anybody else have this sort of experience?

Bill in Kansas City, MO

- Measure with a micrometer. Mark with a crayon. Cut with an ax.

Assuming this noise is due to the PS system, what color/how old is the power steering fluid? Also, does your Odyssey have the revised power steering fluid reservoir? The revised reservoir has a white dot marked on top. The old version of the reservoir can starve the PS pump of fluid, causing noise.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And of course when I start the engine today, it doesn't make the noise. I'll have to take it out driving and see. Assuming it IS the power steering pump, is this something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
38 Posts
And of course when I start the engine today, it doesn't make the noise. I'll have to take it out driving and see. Assuming it IS the power steering pump, is this something to be concerned about?
Yes, power steering pump is essential to driver's overall control of the vehicle. That being said, my advice is don't get too caught up with the PS pump. Start with cheap things first (Checking fluids/reservoir) before moving to more expensive items (PS pump).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts