Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey that all of the sudden has engine light on, hard to start, jitters every now and then when it is running, VSA light on, and heat gage at H when engine starts right up.

I took the van over to O'reilly's today to get the codes read, and the codes I have are 83-1 and 86-1. ECM is the 83-1 code while 86-1 is failure of communication with network.

I thought these things never fail especially at only 103,500 miles!

Called the local Honda dealership they're telling me $1,550 to replace. The part alone is $1075.00.

Anyone had an ECM fail?

One note I did install a VCM Muzzler II onto the vehicle about 3-4 months ago. Could that be what killed it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other details probably need to share.

Last summer I had the timing belt changed. THe Honda dealership forgot to reattach the PCM and it bounced around all over I'm assuming, and on the way home the van just died. It would power back on then die again. It took them two weeks to figure out they didn't reattach the PCM. Long story short it was damaged beyond repair and they went ahead and replaced it.

9,000 miles later I've got the ECM going out.

Only thing I've done since the PCM was changed out in August 2016 is add a VCMuzzler II earlier this year.

Could the ECM been damaged too when the PCM was damaged? To me those are two separate units but I don't know a damn thing about these computers. I do know it is very rare for them to go out let alone both of them to go out.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would be inspecting grounds and wiring. You could have a rodent that chewed into a wire harness.

There are companies that will repair PCMs. You can also usually buy them used off of ebay as well. But then you need to get it programmed to your car.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
There's only one computer that controls the engine and transmission. It's often called the PCM (powertrain control module) but it goes by other names too.

I too would suspect wiring to the PCM rather than the module itself. The wiring or its connectors may have been stretched or chafed by the unattached PCM incident.

I doubt the installation of the VCM muzzler has anything to do with it.

This could be a tough problem to solve even for an experienced tech. I would start by returning to the dealer who forgot to attach the PCM. Try to get them to have a look at it. There's a good chance that's where the problem began, but it may be difficult to pin it on them since it happened more than a year ago. (Normal warranty period is one year.)

Dave

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
It's not possible for the VCMuzzler to cause any damage to the PCM. The Muzzler attaches to a thermistor. A thermistor is designed to short the signal wire to ground through a resistor. That means the circuit is designed to be pulled to ground. You can directly short the wire to ground with no damage to the PCM. I'd suspect a wiring issue at the PCM due to the unattached PCM incident.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Going on a bit of a rant here...

Honda should have kept the PCM inside the cabin, like on the Gen 2 Ody's, where it was well protected from weather and damage. It looks like they moved it to the engine bay in Gen 3. That's a very hostile environment for such an important and expensive component.

Dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
Going on a bit of a rant here...

Honda should have kept the PCM inside the cabin, like on the Gen 2 Ody's, where it was well protected from weather and damage. It looks like they moved it to the engine bay in Gen 3. That's a very hostile environment for such an important and expensive component.

Dave
Most PCM's are located in the engine bay because it reduces wiring complexity and length. The modern PCM also runs faster and hotter than the PCM's of old and placing them in the engine bay allows for better cooling.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Ahhh...both those points make good sense.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE:

I have had it now at the local Honda dealership for several days and they called me earlier today and said they "can't find what is wrong".

What bothers me is the bastards refused to replace the wiring harness last year. They said, "We'll replace the PCM but lets pray it isn't the wiring harness".

Now I'll bet it's the wiring harness and I wouldn't be surprised if those bastards try to get me to pay for it.

Such a crying shame because until those BASTARDS serviced my van and ruined it it had been absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Unplugging the PCM makes it a little easier to get in to the side engine mount but I've always worked around it.

That said, anyone who replaces a while wiring harness on a "prayer" should be taken out and hog tied. On something like this you pick a code and diagnose that code. Wiring diagrams and some knowledge/experience, both of which the dealers are often lacking, is needed.

As for what happened in this case, we'll likely never know. It's been too long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts