Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something for all you great diagnostic people. I am a brand new owner of a used 2008 Honda Odyssey, had it 3 weeks, bought it from a Honda dealer 100 miles away. Random times, but almost always when it hasn't been run recently(like first morning start), the engine takes a delayed time to start. My normal habit is to stick the key in and turn it and then release with a started car, I don't wait to hear if the car has started, in my world, a good car always starts..... my problem is this is a new car to me, it is delaying on the start. Complained to dealer who said I may just have to get used to it starting slower, it does start if I hold it in the start position, sometimes its 2 seconds, sometime 3 or 4, but i am not used to holding it down. Took it to a different honda dealer closer to me, diagnostic come back clean, I have no warning lights on, their suggestion: hold it down til it starts, and if it gets worse, bring it back.....umm hello ?? I know I have been hearing great thinga about Hondas, trading in a 11 year old Dodge Grand Caravan that i loved and had no starting problems with for this?? Not a fan so far, PLEASE help me be a honda lover too. The Car is garaged, I live in Michigan, weather has been in 50's at worst for low's, 80's for highs, but this is more of an issue when the car has sat overnight or a few hours. Thanks for any advice/help

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here's something for all you great diagnostic people. I am a brand new owner of a used 2008 Honda Odyssey, had it 3 weeks, bought it from a Honda dealer 100 miles away. Random times, but almost always when it hasn't been run recently(like first morning start), the engine takes a delayed time to start. My normal habit is to stick the key in and turn it and then release with a started car, I don't wait to hear if the car has started, in my world, a good car always starts..... my problem is this is a new car to me, it is delaying on the start. Complained to dealer who said I may just have to get used to it starting slower, it does start if I hold it in the start position, sometimes its 2 seconds, sometime 3 or 4, but i am not used to holding it down. Took it to a different honda dealer closer to me, diagnostic come back clean, I have no warning lights on, their suggestion: hold it down til it starts, and if it gets worse, bring it back.....umm hello ?? I know I have been hearing great thinga about Hondas, trading in a 11 year old Dodge Grand Caravan that i loved and had no starting problems with for this?? Not a fan so far, PLEASE help me be a honda lover too. The Car is garaged, I live in Michigan, weather has been in 50's at worst for low's, 80's for highs, but this is more of an issue when the car has sat overnight or a few hours. Thanks for any advice/help
I guess I don't quite get what the problem is. Every car requires time for the starter to crank the engine enough to start. I mean if you just turn the key to the start position and release it immediately, the starter will crank just that little bit of time, but not enough to start it. The ONLY exception to this is on cars with some electronic thing that automatically cranks until the engine starts. I know the newer Acuras have this and some other manufacturers too. That kind of ignition system is like "start by wire". When you turn to the start position, it just tells the computer to start the car. Then the computer handles energizing the starter until the engine starts. You don't have to hold anything. A fraction of a sec in the start position is all it takes to activate the process. In our Hondas, the start position is directly tied to the starter. When it's in start, you are energizing the starter directly... so you hold until the engine starts.

It always takes a second or two for the engine to start. I mean I understand that it be an issue if you crank for like 4 or 5 secs, but not 1 or 2.

Does this make sense?

P.S. Also on the "start by wire" cars, if you forget that the engine is already on and you try to start again, it won't do anything. That's so nice! If you forget on our Hondas and try to start it with the engine already on, you get that dreaded CRKKAKKAKAKAKAKKAKAA sound because you are activiting the starter on an engine that is running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is a long enough delay on the start for service people to agree there is a delay, I am using the one one thousand, two one thousand count method, when i get to 3 and 4 seconds, i consider that delayed. It also isn't every time I start it that I need to hold it so long. Husband owns an accord, 11 years old, I don't have problems with his start being delayed, best friend owns a CRV, no delay on hers either. My previous vehicle was a Grand caravan, 11 yrs old, i don't think it had any fancy start mechanics, so this is something i have to do special for this vehicle, and my concern is either this problem will get worse once it is out of its 90 day dealer warranty, OR I will have to get used to holding down the ignition and end up with a bad habit of over doing it on every other vehicle. There are some other strange little hiccups while driving that could possibly be a fuel surge, or the recovery from a fuel pressure dip, but I have trouble replicating them or finding a pattern to them in my short 3 weeks of ownership, husband has noticed it while slowing to make a turn ( like fuel moving in tank caused it?) I notice it more when on a straight level surface holding a consistant speed, that I get a little hiccup that shows a tachometer bump, which i don't know why the little hiccup if I wasn't asking for more speed/power.

The battery has been tested at both dealerships and is deemed good.. This car has 42,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
this is a long enough delay on the start for service people to agree there is a delay, I am using the one one thousand, two one thousand count method, when i get to 3 and 4 seconds, i consider that delayed. It also isn't every time I start it that I need to hold it so long. Husband owns an accord, 11 years old, I don't have problems with his start being delayed, best friend owns a CRV, no delay on hers either. My previous vehicle was a Grand caravan, 11 yrs old, i don't think it had any fancy start mechanics, so this is something i have to do special for this vehicle, and my concern is either this problem will get worse once it is out of its 90 day dealer warranty, OR I will have to get used to holding down the ignition and end up with a bad habit of over doing it on every other vehicle. There are some other strange little hiccups while driving that could possibly be a fuel surge, or the recovery from a fuel pressure dip, but I have trouble replicating them or finding a pattern to them in my short 3 weeks of ownership, husband has noticed it while slowing to make a turn ( like fuel moving in tank caused it?) I notice it more when on a straight level surface holding a consistant speed, that I get a little hiccup that shows a tachometer bump, which i don't know why the little hiccup if I wasn't asking for more speed/power.

The battery has been tested at both dealerships and is deemed good.. This car has 42,000 miles on it.
OK... if it takes getting to 3 and 4 counting by one-onethousand, two-onethousand, then yes, that is too long. I am a long-time Honda and Acura owner, and every one of my 6 cars starts in about the same number of cranks.... regardless of 4 cylinder or V6 and none of them take that long.

Since you also describe inconsisent power while driving, I would suspect a bad fuel pump, bad fuel pressure regulator, or clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Yes, it could be a fuel issue, although that is not a common problem with this van.

Do you always buy your fuel at the same station? If so, try another of a national brand. Not all fuels are the same. Some have water problems for example.

Try a bottle of a good quality fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam.

Next try waiting two seconds with the key in the run position before turning it to the start position. The fuel pump runs for just two seconds to build up pressure in the fuel rail. That may solve your problem.

If not, have the fuel system pressure tested. It might cost you an hour of garage time, but it's better than needlessly replacing expensive parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so here is the UPDATE so far. The current honda service department agrees that it has a delay on the start time, so they tested the battery and the fuel pressure, everything tests out ok, so their advice is to keep driving it til it gets worse or stops starting at all, which to me on a car that I have owned for 3 weeks, bought from a certified dealer seems terrible. I hate having a car with a problem that mechanics don't know why it is doing what it is doing, but agree it is doing it.

Dave, I may try you fuel cleaner additive idea, can't hurt. I am only on my 3rd tank of gas, first was from station next to dealer where they get fuel for every car on their lot. second and third tanks have been from Speedway, but 2 seperate locations.

as far as waiting with the key in "on" before starting, well to me that is like fixing a leak with a bandaid, I know its doing the delay, the service department knows its doing the delay, the dealer I bought it from wants to do nothing about it because it will start (eventually), the other dealer wants to do nothing because it tests out ok even though they agree it is delayed. meanwhile my 90 day warrenty will expire and I bet then when i get to pay for it someone will know what is wrong.

I never buy used cars, always new, then keep them 8 to 10 years. I was assured by so many honda owners that buying a certified used honda was as good as a new one only cheaper, i am left not agreeing with that statement. I don't know if i have the one honda lemon in Michigan, or if this is a small repair i will have to do down the road and then never have any big issues, but it scares me. I am not a negative person, nor does anyone but my children think i am crazy :) However, having this issue is pushing me towards insanity

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Try this

Turn on the key, wait until all the yellow lights go out and then count to four seconds.

Now if it starts instantly, your fuel pressure regulator is leaking and needs to be replaced.

- Vikas

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
***snip***
as far as waiting with the key in "on" before starting, well to me that is like fixing a leak with a bandaid,
***snip***
Sorry, I should have explained more thoroughly. If the engine starts normally after this procedure, the problem is a lack of fuel pressure. Then you proceed from there to find the cause. Also, see sontakke's post ^^. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Your problem is not the vehicle but the dealer :-( He has zero incentive to fix your problem. He has your money and unless you put pressure on him (i.e. contact the owner of the dealership) you are better off taking it to your own *trustworthy* mechanic. If you do not have one, I am sorry, but you should not be purchasing a used vehicle.

- Vikas

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here is your problem as I had it too.

There is a sensor in the top of your throttle body that has gone bad. Good news is it is easy to fix, the bad news is Honda doesn't make just that sensor you have to replace the whole throttle body.

I am a shadetree mechanic, and it took me about an hour. Its not difficult at all. there are two bolts that hold the air filter on and a clamp, remove that. Then four bolts that hold on the throttle body, and some air hoses. remove those and the air hoses and then remove the throttle body.

I would also order a replacement gasket as well.

16400-RKB-003 part number for 06 honda oddysey. should be the same part for an 08 as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts