Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I noticed this a couple months ago on my wife's 2008 Odyssey Touring but really noticed it on a recent trip.
Notice this the most when driving slowly in enclosed areas like our garage but can hear it on and off driving around town.

The engine area seems to make a whining sound. Somewhat like a high pitched sewing machine or even a Porsche engine :)
It seems to waver up and down with the RPM. Maybe it's alternator, drive belt, water pump or even transmission?

Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should clarify that the whine isn't that high pitch. It sounds like a smallish electric motor whirring with varying rpm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like your Power Steering Pump. Honda has issued a service bulletin / extended coverage of this issue. Dealer should take care of this without question.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had this issue with my Odessey and took it into the dealer about 3 weeks ago, they replaced the power steering pump and the next day I had the same noise, then it went away. Then the noise came back last week I took the van in again on Friday and they replaced the pump again, then on Sunday the noise was back, so not sure it is the pump, any other ideas.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Maybe if they replace the pump FIVE times (dohhhhh). I love the dealer that would just replace the pump multiple times. Are you under warranty?

What is level of PS fluid? Mine was at the low mark and when I filled it it seems (knock on wood) that my intermittent sound went away. I assume that the dealer would have topped off the PS fluid though, if they were replacing the pump....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts