Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just the other day my wife reported a blinking "D" on the gear indicator on the dashboard of our 2008 EXL (214k). My cheap scanner showed no codes, but did the jumper trick to get a 40 which indicated that the torque converter clutch was stuck off. Brought to a local AZ where we ran the codes with their better scanner and got the P0741 which validates the 40 code.

Fluid was changed at 100k miles by the dealer, then at maybe 190k by me (3x drain and fill with a 500 mile interval between). A check of the fluid this morning showed a nice red color with no signs of a burning smell, with the level perhaps a bit high, but certainly not low.

The blinking "D" occurred after a hard stop on the highway after sitting in some traffic and no longer showed when the car was restarted next. I took it for a long drive this morning with equal parts highway (up to 80mph) and back roads with no reappearance of the D. Was hoping I could feel the TCC kick in once I got into 5th, but the VCM engagement "shudder" made it very hard to discern.

My plan is to keep an eye on it for now as I believe the only downside (and looking for the Forum's collective feedback here) is that we lose some economy in top gear.

I was able to strip down the airbox and battery/tray today to get a bird's eye view of the solenoids, however I'm not sure which one controls the TCC. I THINK based on some browsing of the interwebs that it's the "double" one fitted into a square housing with 6 bolts on the driver's side of the transmission vs the "single" one in a housing with 4 bolts just aft of the hook on top of the transmission.

I think to properly test it I'd need to remove the right one and test it on the bench (resistance and apply voltage/listen for clicking).

I suppose I can also drain out the fluid and strain it for chunks. When I replaced it at 190k it was darker red, but not black or burnt.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Keep and eye is the best thing you can do. Let it ride and hopefully was just an "Opps" moment on the Ody.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
Reactions: Odyssey.owner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 days and a couple of hundred miles later...no blinking D. Still have air in the power steering system after changing the pressure hose, but that's a different thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts