Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wassup guys
long story short. My van broke down after the cam shaft seized.
I am weighing my options right now. Sell as is or fix.
The VCM motor is too expensive so I am wondering what is needed
to replace with the NON VCM engine. I found one with low miles $1000
Do I need to swap trannies and ecu too?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need help.
My van broke down and I need to replace the engine.
What do I need to do to swap a NON VCM engine into my van?
Just the block? Tranny? ECU? Harness?

need advise asap.
thanks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Short answer- you want to swap a 2008-2010 VCM engine in your 2008 touring. Then put a 'muzzler' on it to turn off the ECO. Too many differences with earlier and non-VCM engines.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
636 Posts
What kernel said. While it is technically possible to swap in a non-VCM engine with some modification, it'll never truly work "right", as in you'll likely have a permanent CEL code.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Agree with above replies. There’s nothing wrong or bad about the VCM engine. You just need to muzzle the VCM.
Curious why you think you need a new engine? What happened to your current engine?
Did the timing belt fail?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
And don't cross post to multiple sections. This is the best section for your question. You should have edited your first post or posted this info into this thread:
My van broke down after the cam shaft seized.
I am weighing my options right now. Sell as is or fix.
The VCM motor is too expensive so I am wondering what is needed
to replace with the NON VCM engine. I found one with low miles $1000
Do I need to swap trannies and ecu too?
No need to swap the transmission. If you stick with the VCM engine, no need to swap ECU or engine harness or whatever else may come up in the Frankenstein swap.
Maybe you just need to repair/replace the cylinder heads?

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Merged your threads OP. Welcome to the Odyclub forum albeit we would have preferred you come in more pleasant conditions rather than looking at a replacement engine. That said, please don't open multiple threads in different sections for the same issue.

Reactions: vanzilla

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
You can swap in the non-VCM engine but you will need wiring harness and PCM. It will then require reprogramming to get your keys to work. You may also end up with other issues that make it impossible to clear a check engine light. Why not just replace a cylinder head? Is the engine that damaged?

Reactions: Azdude

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Merged your threads OP. Welcome to the Odyclub forum albeit we would have preferred you come in more pleasant conditions rather than looking at a replacement engine. That said, please don't open multiple threads in different sections for the same issue.
sorry about that. noted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can swap in the non-VCM engine but you will need wiring harness and PCM. It will then require reprogramming to get your keys to work. You may also end up with other issues that make it impossible to clear a check engine light. Why not just replace a cylinder head? Is the engine that damaged?
I'm going to open up the head, and see if it got damaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts