Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to trade out of my 2004 EX-L-RES with 114k miles into a 2008 Touring with 9k miles for a good price. I was pretty excited until I started reading a little online and seem to see alot of complaining about issues, particularly torque converter problems, but also just alot of low-rent issues that I'm not sure I'm prepared to deal with. To be honest, the current van has not been immune to issues with the cheap parts inside and out (vent windows anyone?) but mechanically it's been stone cold reliable. It is giving me alot of those tell-tale signs and think it's time to get out while the getting is good. Wondering if anyone feels like sharing any concerns about buying a 2008 model or good experiences as well. Any tips for things to watch out for on a 2008? Thanks for any help, it's a huge purchase for me, don't want to get burned if I can help it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
fizzyhawk, I cannot comment on the reliability of the 2008, but since I am in a similar situation to yours, I will share a few thoughts about buying the used 2008 Touring. I have a 2004 with 103k and have been shopping for an upgrade for months. We do not trade cars often either.

Regarding whether it is a good buy, I would seriously consider a 2010 Touring which dealers still have and are offering huge discounts. Are you comparing its price to the 2010 or 2011 MSRP, or to the KBB price? If the 2008 is only good compared to MSRP, then you might want to seriously consider a new 2010 or 2011 van. What if a new 2010 (maybe even just an EX-L instead of Touring) is only a $1000 or $2000 more than the 2008?

Also, you have to consider that your 2008 is 1/4 of its way into the warranty mileagewise, and possibly near the end of the warranty timewise (when was it put into service?). Also, why does it have so few miles? Seems odd, but maybe not.

With all that said, I guess my point is that the 2008 is the last generation and style, which may not matter to you, but it will be what you drive for several years and will affect your trade in value. I have seen so many used 2008s listed for sale that were tempting, but their price was just too high compared to new.

Anyway, that is just my two cents on buying the 2008 vs. a new 2010 or 2011. But, if it is a remarkable deal (but not too good to be true), then maybe you should get it. Good luck. Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All great points. I have noticed that the resale on the used ones makes it almost pointless to pass up just buying new. I haven't gone to the dealer to try to wheel and deal on a left 2010, but I bet they are letting them go cheap. I should be able to the 2008 I'm looking at for 25k difference. Even if they are really dealing on a 2010 Touring, it would be probably be around 30-31k difference, so we're talking about 5-6k for the newer model. No history on the original driver, but the van is spotless, it looks like it's sat in a showroom for 3 years, so my guess is grandpa and grandma had it and just didn't drive it much.

It's a tough decision. I really ppreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does it have PAX?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Why would it be a money pit? That's an odd conclusion, I think, particularly from a Gen II owner (who seem to greet each other with transmissions counts).

Without raw dollar figures there's no telling if your pricing is good. Your out the door figures are not helpful. You can see the prices paid for 2010 post here, too. Unless you know the history or owners, all buyers who are not expert should get a body integrity inspection by a qualified body shop (not a mechanic) for past wreck and repair detail.

You can get service history from a Honda service dept., but not if none exists (if it never experienced a warranty claim). At least the TSBs and recalls should be recorded as done.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just upgraded my 08 EXL-RES to a 10 Touring on Saturday. I did not have any major issues with the 08, with the exception of the usual TSBs and the recall. (low break pedal and the judder)

Make sure that the Recall has been done. What color is it? I think that 9k on an 08 is a great milage. I loved my 08 but I always wanted the Touring.

Good Luck

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts