Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first oil and filter change on the 09 since I bought the vehicle. The dealer did the prior ones before we bought the van.
Really a piece of cake. I have always changed my own oil and filters on every vehicle I have owned. So kinda knew what to expect. I used a floor jack on the tow hook to raise the van far enough to get under it. This helpful hint was mentioned somewhere else in the forum. Good Idea worked well! Oil plug came right out. Used a standard "small filter" band wrench to loosen the used filter. The filter is easily accessed from underneath. Filled a new Mobil 1 filter with oil and put it on, and then filled the crankcase with 5w-20 Mobil 1. Reused the same washer on the oil plug the same as I used to in the 60's, 70's and 80's on other cars. Looking forward to changing the tranny fluid in 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That actually is the front jacking point.

A question though: you were using the jack to hold the van up while you were under it?? :eek:

A suggestion for the oil filter: just before you take the old one off, slip a ziploc baggie over it. Collect the oil that drips out when you loosen & remove it, dump that in your oil waste containter and seal the filter up in the baggie.

·
Registered
664 Posts
wow you all are jack stand nuts

I've used jacks to prop cars while I worked under them for years for small things. I've only had one fail, and when it failed it was letting down slow, slow that it you had to jack it up a few inches every hour. Not really a big thing in the grand scheme of things especially when changing oil only requires you partially under the vehicle for less than 5 min.

As for working under the ody with a jack, as long as the tires are there you shouldn't have any problems. You can still shimmy out of there if the tires are on the car and the jack slowly fails.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
gregersonke said:
You can still shimmy out of there if the tires are on the car and the jack slowly fails.
Lots of "ifs"......not worth risking my life over, especially considering the minimal cost of jack stands...and the whopping few seconds it takes to install them.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
gregersonke said:
wow you all are jack stand nuts

I've used jacks to prop cars while I worked under them for years for small things. I've only had one fail, and when it failed it was letting down slow, slow that it you had to jack it up a few inches every hour. Not really a big thing in the grand scheme of things especially when changing oil only requires you partially under the vehicle for less than 5 min.

As for working under the ody with a jack, as long as the tires are there you shouldn't have any problems. You can still shimmy out of there if the tires are on the car and the jack slowly fails.
You may be correct that a hydraulic jack, when failed, usually leaks oil slowly and you have time to react.

But while it may be true that when the tires are still on, you may be relatively safe with the jack only, however the disaster happens when the car is raised on the jack and the vehicle rolls a bit ---> car collapsed (jack turned sideway). This has killed many people.

Just google "man killed jack collapsed".

A pair of jackstand is $30-40. Your life is worth more than that.

For oil change, I drive it up my wood ramps, no need for any jack.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Okay, I suppose if the tires are still in contact with the ground when the van is jacked up there is less risk of the jack tipping over. That may be high enough for an oil change. But after going that far, I jack it up high and look around under there at the same time. So I use the stands.

·
Registered
664 Posts
cnn said:
You may be correct that a hydraulic jack, when failed, usually leaks oil slowly and you have time to react.

But while it may be true that when the tires are still on, you may be relatively safe with the jack only, however the disaster happens when the car is raised on the jack and the vehicle rolls a bit ---> car collapsed (jack turned sideway). This has killed many people.

Just google "man killed jack collapsed".

A pair of jackstand is $30-40. Your life is worth more than that.

For oil change, I drive it up my wood ramps, no need for any jack.
That may be why, I've always used hydraulic jacks when under the car along with pieces of wood behind the tires in the back. I've used a siscor jack for odd little things or changing a tire but not for working under the car. In some ways I could see how that might effect ones judgment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts