Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was curious if there is a write up on replacing the brakes (rotor / pads) for the Ody?

Are there any special tools needed aside from standard mechanic tools?

Is there any online stores I should buy from or stay away from?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's like any other disk brake job. Let me know if you need me to type a write up. You will need (i'm sure i'll forget a socket or wrench):

22mm socket (lugs)
17mm socket (optional to remove caliper, mandatory for new rotors or resurfacing rotors)
I think 14mm socket (to remove caliper stud bolts)
19mm wrench (for same as above)
C-Clamp or Piston Compressor tool
Torque Wrench
Caliper bolt grease
Brake Cleaner
Disk brake quiet or equivalent (the stuff you put on the back of pads)
Impact screwdriver with proper bit (Rotor Screws)
Flat head screw driver (rubber piece in rear rotors)

If Bleeding
Fluid
Container with tubing
10mm wrench

Also why new rotors on an '09?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

My wife really really loves to stomp on the brakes & gas. It needs tires as well & only 35K miles.

Any other details would be great!

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
606 Posts
brakes

cnthinkoname, You're a nice guy to do that!

While I have not done them yet on my new/used '06, I have done brakes on cars for many years, and from what I can tell brakes on the Odd are no different than on many cars. Are you sure its not on the board already? Youtube? Of course more power to you if you can write it up.

I guess I'll do one on the PS pump job when I get around to it. Seems like that hasn't been done yet. Or the timing belt, but mine is ok for now. (GRIN)

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
RichTJ99 said:
I was curious if there is a write up on replacing the brakes (rotor / pads) for the Ody?
Did you try to search on here?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My way of doing it (there may be others).

1. Loosen all lugs (if doing all 4 wheels) with a 22mm socket.

2. Apply parking brake and chock the wheels that you aren't working on. Jack the vehicle up and support it with jack stands

3. Remove the wheels.

4. Loosen the 2 caliper mount bolts (i believe 17mm might be 19mm)

5. Hang a bungee cord on the top of the spring and connect to hold the caliper once you unbolt it.

6. Remove caliper bolts and caliper.

7. Pull both halves on the caliper apart slightly, grab the boot on the end with the head of the bolt and pull the boot down, then separate both halves just to grease the pins.

8. Grease the pins and assemble both halves, make sure the boot is properly compacting, if not give it a squeeze which will release excess lubricant, clean excess lubricant.

9. Pop out old pads and clean caliper with brake clean.

10. Match new and old pads, put disk brake quiet (or equivalent) on the pads. Be careful not to touch the face of the pad that contacts the rotor with dirty hands.

11. Grease the clips that hold the pads slightly, after compressing the piston(s) pop in new pads.

12. Remove the 2 rotor screws with an impact screwdriver. You likely don't have one and won't listen and will try a regular screw driver, the threads will strip and then drill out :).

13. Slide off rotor. If rears spray brake clean in the parking brake assembly.

14. Put on new rotors and screws (unless you drilled them, they are not necessary).

15. Spray rotors with brake clean and wipe 'em good.

16. Put on caliper and bolt it on

17. Torque caliper bolts to the proper spec (should be 101 ft pounds, it helps to turn the wheels to allow access)

18. Put on wheels and hand tighten lugs. (or bleed the brakes)

19. Remove jack stands and lower vehicle.

20. Torque lugs to 95 ft lbs.

21. Remove parking brake and wheel chocks.

22. Take it for a spin! (After pressing the brakes a few times until the pedal is firm, this is to expand the piston so the pads touch the rotors)

·
Registered
419 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts