Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called the dealer for a quote on the 15k maintainence for my 2009 Odyssey EX-L. They want $360 + tax. That comes out to about $390. Here is what they do:
Oil & oil filter replacement (not needed, 50% life, but it is worth $40)
Check & adjust fluid levels & tire pressures (can check them myself for free)
Rotate & balance four tires (just had them rotated with last oil change)
check, clean & adjust rear brakes, if necessary (no dust in them and they work fine)
Engine air filter replacement ($25)
In-cabin pollen filter replacement ($29)
Wiper inserts replaced ($12)
Inspect steering, exhaust & suspension components (not really needed at this point)
Complimentary car wash (bogus)

So as I see it, there is about $105 that is legit. Where is the other $255 coming from? labor cost? I plan on doing most of the stuff myself but i am not sure about the Pollen filter and the Engine air filter. Anyone have any experience with the 2009 Odyssey?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would check the display on the speedometer for the maintenance code number.Then only do what is listed. I would replace the oil only if it shows it needs it.Honda in 2008 recommended when 15% left or at one year which ever is first.The code will tell you if you refer to manual what is required. Dealers often want to do things not on the maintenance schedule ;which is your choice.Many of thsoe checks should be included in oil change. My dealer charges 29.95 with the standard checks for oil /filter change. Yours maybe higher depending on location tho.Personally I don't think it needs all those services or even a oil change unless it been a year. But check the code and do waht the mnaual recommends.If no code then it needs no service my dealer says.

·
Registered
513 Posts
mrxclnc said:
I just called the dealer for a quote on the 15k maintainence for my 2009 Odyssey EX-L.
Oil & oil filter replacement (not needed, 50% life, but it is worth $40)
I am confused: Are you just checking the cost for the heck of it? I thought there is no such thing as a 15k maintenance on the 05+ Ody, only what the maintenance minder thing tells you when the oil goes below 15%. Once that happens the oil won't be bogus. ;-)

As to cost, I go to independent shops that charge per hour+materials, so it should cost a bit less.

Anyhow, we should be able to compare soon as my oil is at 15% and is giving me the B1 that means what you list... :)

Edit: One thing re. warranty, one thing these maintenance items do is establish a record of the car's status. If you have a problem with a lack of fluid somewhere in a few months you can come back to the bill for the maintenance to demonstrate you checked it and it was ok. When i did maintenance on my previous car (kids take up my maintenance time nowadays...) I would print out the list of maintenance items and check them off as I did them, to get the same result. When I go to an independent shop I have them list everything they do and check that they do all that is required, not just the oil.

Nicolas

·
Registered
887 Posts
Your list compares to a B2 service. The 2 being the filter replacements. The B for inspection, oil change, rotation, etc. This is listed in the owners manual. In my area, honda dealers usually charge $270 for this. However, the service usually does not include the wiper inserts, which are $10 and the service writer puts them on for free, or balancing of the tires.

I agree, follow the maintenace minder. Honda dealers do have 15k service, 30k, etc., for older models and will recommend them if you do not follow the mm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too have the same question. My van just pass 15k and I was at the dealer yesterday and they asked me to do it or not. I decided not to, since my oil still show 60%

Do people just bring it in every 15k or wait til the maintenance code to come up? I think we should follow the later, right? I have a 09 as well.

·
Registered
513 Posts
cw30000 said:
I too have the same question. My van just pass 15k and I was at the dealer yesterday and they asked me to do it or not. I decided not to, since my oil still show 60%

Do people just bring it in every 15k or wait til the maintenance code to come up? I think we should follow the later, right? I have a 09 as well.
Don't do it. Dealers have rent to pay so they try to talk you into something that is no longer appplicable to your Odyssey.

Next time they'll offer to adjust the carburetor mix and clean the distributor points... :)

Nicolas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts