Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the filters for the 2010 (and maybe other years) have little "feet" on them that allow them to only sit in the filter housing a certain way?

I pulled my filter out at 6,000 miles to look at it and noticed this.

In addition, the filter housing has a curved chamber of sorts that forces the bulk of incoming air to filter through approximately 50% of the filter surface.

What this does is cause the filter to get extremely dirty in a curved swath on the filter and leaves the rest of the filter clean. In addition, those little feet that let the filter only drop into the housing 1-way...almost assure that you will replace the filter sooner than needed.

Today, I cut those little feet off and turned the filter around. Please note that the same side was still down...I just rotated it 180-degrees. This presented the incoming air with clean pleats instead of the dirty ones.

This design is a bit odd and begs the question...

Has anyone cut those curved vertical ramps out of the air filter housing? If you did, did it have an effect on noise, filter life, fuel economy, etc?

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Yessydo Adnoh said:
Has anyone noticed that the filters for the 2010 (and maybe other years) have little "feet" on them that allow them to only sit in the filter housing a certain way?

I pulled my filter out at 6,000 miles to look at it and noticed this.

In addition, the filter housing has a curved chamber of sorts that forces the bulk of incoming air to filter through approximately 50% of the filter surface.

What this does is cause the filter to get extremely dirty in a curved swath on the filter and leaves the rest of the filter clean. In addition, those little feet that let the filter only drop into the housing 1-way...almost assure that you will replace the filter sooner than needed.

Today, I cut those little feet off and turned the filter around. Please note that the same side was still down...I just rotated it 180-degrees. This presented the incoming air with clean pleats instead of the dirty ones.

This design is a bit odd and begs the question...

Has anyone cut those curved vertical ramps out of the air filter housing? If you did, did it have an effect on noise, filter life, fuel economy, etc?
Check your filter again at 15K miles or when the maintenance minder sub-code 2 comes up around 30K miles for replacement. I think you'll then notice that the filter surface will be dirty in a more spread out pattern, even more toward the edges.

The bottom of the filter design has the staggered "feet", so that the filter is keyed...meaning it is meant to only fit in the airbox one way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: 2010 Air Filter and Air Box

EE4Life said:

The bottom of the filter design has the staggered "feet", so that the filter is keyed...meaning it is meant to only fit in the airbox one way.
I noticed that and stated that earlier in my post. It wastes a lot of the filter surface.

I am at 14,900 now and I just cut the feet off of the filter last week and turned it around. The rest of the filter was very clean and only the curved swath was dirty. By cutting off the feet and turning the filter around, I presented the incoming airflow with a clean filter surface.

Part of my observation stated in my original post was that the design of the filter housing causes this curved dirty area to appear and leaves most of the filter clean...a huge waste. I was wondering if anyone had done away with those curved walls within the filter housing...thus allowing for more of the filter surface to be utilized.

Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If most of the surface of the filter is still clean, it is most definately still filtering adequately. By accumulating the "dirt" in one particular area, rather than the entire surface of the filter should actually allow the rest of the filter to function at a higher level for a longer period of time. I would leave the engineering to Honda, or whoever ultimately designed the airbox.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just changed mine over the weekend at 15k mi on our 2010 with a Fram Air Filter from WalMart. The original factory filter also showed this curved wear, but it was looking quite dirty. The replacement did not have keyed feet on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts