Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchaing a 2010 EX-L model, but it doesn't have a trailer hitch.

I was thinking I would like some kind of hitch on the back for a bike rack system and/or the possibility of some light towing in the future (eg. small utility trailer etc).

1. Would I require a cooler for the transmision for this type of use?

2. If I do require the full tow package (eg.cooler also). What is the approximate cost to have this installed at the dealer?

3. Is the dealer my best bet for this, or is there better/cheaper alternatives out there

4. Does the hitch look ugly or is it hidden while not in use.

Many thanks,

Detox99

·
Registered
27 Posts
get the Honda OEM hitch, just order the main hitch you will not need to the coolers etc.
also if you will do some light towing the honda OEM harness is very nice, but a little pricey, it does clip right in though, very clean and excellent design.

The benefit of the OEM hitch is that it tucks up under the bumper skin and only the 2" reciever sticks out, very clean. All other brands look terrible, hang down below the skin, absolutley not well thought out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Definitely need the OEM hitch. It looks much better than aftermarket and much better than the average tow hitch. No coolers are needed for your planned use. Hitch install with the rear OEM harness took me about two hours with basic tools. Any shop, handyman or shade tree mechanic could do the install much cheaper than a dealer if given the parts and instructions which are both available online as this is not a technical job.

~$400 for OEM hitch and wiring harness. Figure 2.0 hours of shop time to your mechanic.

Trans cooler is ~$220, Power steering cooler is ~$120, Air deflector $15 (directs air to coolers), Plus an additional quart of Trans fluid ($9) and a bottle of Honda power steering fluid ($5). Figure the dealer charges around $95 hr shop time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The best hitch is by far the Honda hitch. It's virtually hidden inside the rear bumper cover and looks like the best fitting hitch imho. I opted to purchase the p/s cooler from Honda as well but have gone aftermarket on the transmission cooler and the wiring harness not only to save $$ but, in the case of the tranny cooler, better performance for less $$. The wiring harness from Honda is prohibitively expensive and why? Instead of $199 the dealer wanted I bought from a local hitch shop for $45 and it just plugs in like the OEM.
Btw, I'm quoting Canadian prices here since I believe you are from Toronto (GTA)?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just a thought and I have no idea if anyone has had this happen: If you get a hitch but not the coolers (which are required when towing, as per Honda...), Honda may balk at covering transmission work under warranty... :-/

Again, not from experience, just a bit paranoid about this kind of thing...

Nicolas

·
Registered
27 Posts
transmission and p/s coolers are overkill, you will never need them unless you tow 3500lb trailers through death valley hills.

actually transmission cooler will prevent your oil temp from ever reach optimal operating temperature unless you are towing 2000+ lb enclosed trailer at hwy speed.
in cold weather with a cooler forget about getting oil up to proper temp.

·
Registered
513 Posts
transmission and p/s coolers are overkill, you will never need them unless you tow 3500lb trailers through death valley hills.

actually transmission cooler will prevent your oil temp from ever reach optimal operating temperature unless you are towing 2000+ lb enclosed trailer at hwy speed.
in cold weather with a cooler forget about getting oil up to proper temp.
Not disagreeing, the question is not whether it WILL damage the car, but whether Honda may SUGGEST it did. From the Bernardi web site, when looking to order the hitch:
VOID Warranty. Honda's policy is to void a new vehicle warranty if they determine that damage to the vehicle was caused by towing in excess of 1,000 pounds without the required coolers.
If I brought my under warranty van to a dealer with a transmission problem and the dealer saw a hitch but no coolers, I would expect questions and hassles... Just me... :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you are borderline on needing the Transmission cooler for your towing then switching to the new synthetic DW-1 trans fluid will give you an extra margin of heat resistance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just purchased a Curt trailer hitch model # 13068. It is round tube design rather the typical square tube. I purchased it from Autoanything.com. I intend to use it for a bike rack only so no coolers or wiring harness needed. I may install it today and I'll post pics of the finished product. I found Autoanything to have the best price out of all the online dealers...& pretty much for anything they carry.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The entire lower bar of the so-called "hidden hitch" is visible below the rear bumper on the Odyssey and might scrape where the OEM bumper will not especially if you have a bike rack that extends directly out a bit.

The Honda OEM hitch sits inside the bumper.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bought the Curt hitch class2 from Etrailer and wiring harness. So simple to install. Using an Allen 2 bike carrier it works fantastic. just came back from vacation and 1500 miles latter. Trailer Hitch by Curt for - 12261

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also bought a Class 2 hitch from ETrailer.com and wiring harness. Simple to install. Completed installation in less than 6 hours. I did not install a transmission cooler. Granted it does appear a bit lower than the OEM hitch. However, it doesn't look bad in my opinion. We've used it for one year pulling a single jet ski without any issues (approximately 1,130 total miles towing, 1 trip of 650 miles round-trip + 4 other trips at 120 round-trip miles each time) I had a transmission oil scan test completed a few weeks ago with acceptable results. The ATF was still reddish colored (not brown) and did not have any hint of burnt smell. However, due to our plans of keeping this van for a while, I am planning to add a transmission cooler and switch to synthetic transmission fluid (DW-1) even though we may not actually need it. If your plans are to carry bikes, I don't see any need for a tranny cooler for performance/transmission wear-out reasons. However, if there is a transmission failure under warranty of any sort (i.e. unrelated to the hitch in every way, shape & form) I expect that the dealer will not cover the repair expense as you won't be able to prove that you didn't pull anything "heavy" with that trailer hitch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interesting...

So, I have a hitch that doesn't seem to be readily available...

My van has a Torklift hitch under it... but they don't list anything for a honda odyssey on their website...

interesting... (not sure if these pictures will show anything worth while... but it seems to be different than what I see elsewhere...)

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
i'm just about to do a search on your torklift.......truly hidden like the OEM, but probably a helluva lot cheaper......lets see what i get.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's installed by a company in Kent, Washington... custom hitch. (you're relatively close anyway being in BC...) it's nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DIY Hitch/Harness

R1172624.jpg R1172626.jpg R1172631_2.jpg R1172640.jpg R1172638.jpg R1172636.jpg R1172635.jpg R1172633.jpg R1172632.jpg R1172625.jpg

Purchased a used 2010 EX-L a couple months ago. Had 40,000 miles on it.

Last week, I DIY installed the factory hitch and wiring harness. I did not do the coolers because we only use the hitch for our Thule bike rack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Draw tite hitch. It sits low and drags on everything. Pay the extra money for a Honda OEM, cut the hole in the bumper and be happy with the better clearance.

I do some light towing, use a cargo basket, and a bike rack. I always drag going over a speed bump or up a steep incline.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have a Draw tite hitch. It sits low and drags on everything. Pay the extra money for a Honda OEM, cut the hole in the bumper and be happy with the better clearance.

I do some light towing, use a cargo basket, and a bike rack. I always drag going over a speed bump or up a steep incline.
Yep this is true....it is "easy" to go to U-Haul and have them install something, but not ideal. I spent a couple hundred on the OEM and did a self install and I've been very pleased at the tied-together look.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts