Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a # 3 cylinder misfire error code on my 2010 Honda Odyssey. Just want to look at the spark plug but very frustrated to see I can't get location of # 3 cylinder anywhere (so far) on the Internet. Can someone PLEASE tell me the firing order and locations of the cylinders? It's a 3.5 liter V-6.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your interest dvpatel. I also found this post using the search function. However, I'm not sure my 2010 has the same firing order and location of cylinders as a 2005. Do you know?

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Thanks for your interest dvpatel. I also found this post using the search function. However, I'm not sure my 2010 has the same firing order and location of cylinders as a 2005. Do you know?
The firing order and cylinder locations has been the same since 1999 model year. Why do you think it would be any different in 2010 model year?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answer dvpatel. The short answer to your question is...I never take anything for granted or assume anything regarding a knowledge area in which I'm not an expert. Again, thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thanks for your answer dvpatel. The short answer to your question is...I never take anything for granted or assume anything regarding a knowledge area in which I'm not an expert. Again, thanks for the answer.
David is correct,

Do not take anything for granted.

1. In this DIY (Spark Plug replacement), I posted the diagram for cylinder numbering in post #25. In other words, #3 is close to the firewall and driver side.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...-2007-honda-odyssey-spark-plug-40k-miles.html

2. The firing order is:
1-4-2-5-3-6

(I think it is done in pairs: 1-4 ---> 2-5 ---> 3-6)

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
David is correct,

Do not take anything for granted.

1. In this DIY (Spark Plug replacement), I posted the diagram for cylinder numbering in post #25. In other words, #3 is close to the firewall and driver side.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...-2007-honda-odyssey-spark-plug-40k-miles.html

2. The firing order is:
1-4-2-5-3-6

That is still worthless cnn as that is for the 2007 model year and David here needs this for the 2010 model year if you are giving him advice not to take anything for granted, then your information is incorrect too as the 2007 model year information cannot be taken for granted for a 2010 van either.

Hope David finds someone with a 2010 model to post on here citing the cylinder positions and firing order with proof so that the information can be factually ascertained and not taken for granted. Good luck David.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
dvpatel,

It is not worthless.
All model years within 2005-2010 time frame (3rd gen) have the same numbering system and firing order.
It is clearly stated in the Helms Service Manual that I have at home.

PS: David asked the right question because things may change between generations of car development, such as from 1st to 2nd gen; and from 2nd gen to 3rd gen etc.

But within the same generation, things are very similar.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
:rollingeyes:

To my 2005's information you posted its OK for David to question the information. But you yourself posted 2007 information. You and I are saying the same thing that this gen (and the prior gen) have the same firing order. My gripe is you agreed with David in questioning the 2005 information that was provided earlier but are giving him your 2007 information and then saying 2005 - 2010 is the same.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
David,

On the same topic of misfire, there are basically 3 causes:

1. Bad spark plug

2. Bad ignition coil.
In the Ody, the problem is unique. Unlike other cars when the ignition coil goes bad with time, the Ody bad ignition coil is usually traced back to loose spark plug that might have been under-torqued at factory. This allows combustion gas/heat to escape and burns the ignition coil.

3. Cracked (or porous cylinder head). In my case it turned out to be a porous cylinder head, not a true crack but porous aluminum that allow coolant to be sucked into combustion chamber causing misfire.
It took me a long time to diagnose the misfire. Initially, I though it was bad coil but later turned out to be coolant in cylinder.

Anyway, more info that might have you:

a. Ohm values for the coils, see post #9:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...m-multiple-misfire-cyl-2-cyl-4-cyl-5-etc.html

b. My experience with porous cylinder head:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/27718-coolant-disappearing-reservoir-2.html

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
:rollingeyes:

To my 2005's information you posted its OK for David to question the information. But you yourself posted 2007 information. You and I are saying the same thing that this gen (and the prior gen) have the same firing order. My gripe is you agreed with David in questioning the 2005 information that was provided earlier but are giving him your 2007 information and then saying 2005 - 2010 is the same.
Ooops,

You are right, sorry I misread your post (because in one of your posts I saw 1999!). My fault.
I owe you a beer! What do you want:
- Heineken
- Singha
- Or Budweiser?

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Ooops,

You are right, sorry I misread your post (because in one of your posts I saw 1999!). My fault.
I owe you a beer! What do you want:
- Heineken
- Singha
- Or Budweiser?
LOL. Thanks but I don't drink. People tell me "I am this grumpy without drinking. Think how bad it'd be if I drank." :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the attention guys. I appreciate it. My troubleshooting resulted in a curiosity. After reading dvpatel's posts, I decided to take out the back right spark plug and "assume" it's #3. Sure enough, it was fouled. I cleaned it up a bit then swapped the ignition coil with the one from the # 6 cylinder and cleared the error code. Restarted the car and waited. I expected to see either # 3 misfire again OR # 6 misfire telling me it's the spark plug or the ignition coil. Surprise! After running the car for 15 min and then driving it for about 20 miles, no error codes, no check engine light.
What the????? I suppose it might take a while to return but I'm scratching my head right now.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
That's not good. Hope the code returns either at #3 or at #6. If it returns at #3, I would suspect the fuel injector at #3 and if at #6, obviously the coil. But vanishing codes are a PIA to deal with. Good luck with the troubleshooting. Do report back on what it turns out to be. I am hoping you had bad fuel and just fouled up the plug. Also, based on cnn's spark plug thread, since your #3 was fouled up, once you are comfortable with the troubleshooting if the code doesn't return, I recommend to still at the least change out all the plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dvpatel;

In some ways my concern is much like yours. Just last week I had a 0302 Trouble code on my 2000 Honda Odyssey. And like most I went online to find the firing order. According to the diagram I saw, the #1, #2 and #3 Cylinders was on the back side of the engine facing the firewall. Thus I pulled the coil module and plug on the #2 cylinder. The plug was badly fouled for sure, so I replaced the plug. Then after buttoning up everything, I cranked the engine. The vibration was still present and I was still getting the 0302 #2 Cylinder misfire code.

Then I found another 2000 Honda Odyssey 3.5VTEV engine cylinder firing order diagram which showed that the #2, #4, and #6 Cylinders were on the front side of the engine right behind of the radiator. I replaced the coil module but didn't replace the plug (as yet). I also replaced the same coil module on what I originally thought to be the #2 cylinder. When I cranked the engine this time, the engine vibration stopped and the 0302 Trouble code disappeared. Go figure!

Thus, my question is this: If the Honda Odyssey engine firing order has been the same since 1984 or more, as one responded to your question, why was my problem resolved when I replaced the coil module (not the plug) on the front cylinder closest to the crankshaft pulley?

Try this test method next time you experience a similar problem. 1.) Crank the engine 2.) Disconnect one by one each Coil Module wire from its connector plug. As you go through this process, place your hand on the top of the engine and see if the vibration stops or continues. The bad coil module will not increase nor decrease the engine vibration if it's bad. Thus, you have located the bad cylinder associated with your trouble code readout.

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
The reason is that the misfire code is not always accurate on older vehicles. The PCM tries to determine the cylinder that is misfiring by the sudden slowing of engine RPM and then guessing which cylinder it must have been due to crank sensor position. As technology has progressed the misfire counters have gotten better, however, in 2000 they were not very accurate. This is true of most vehicles of that era. The only way to 100% determine a misfire is to do a cylinder drop test and see which cylinder is not contributing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts