Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey that has misfires on cylinders 1 and 4. I swapped coil packs 4 and 5. Now it only shows a misfire on cylinder 1. It's running extremely rough and has about every light on the dash lit up. Any ideas on what could be going on and what brand might the factory coil packs be if I have to replace them. I'm thinking NGK or Hitachi.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Switch coil packs from 1 and 4 to cylinder 5 and 6. If the misfires show on 5 and 6 now, then just replace the coil packs.

You need to let it run for a short while for the misfires to change, if you start it up for 5 seconds, shut it off, then check the codes, one cylinder may already set the code, but the other cylinder didn't because it didn't register in that short time. So, after you swap coils, first reset the code, then start the van and let it run. Once the CEL comes on, then check for codes. Hopefully that made sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you. I replaced all the plugs and swapped the coils like you said. The plug on cylinder 4 was black and had oil on it. All the codes went off and it's driving much better now. Should I be concerned about the wet plug and also the boot on one of the coil packs broke. Should I replace it or is it ok. I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yes, thank you. I replaced all the plugs and swapped the coils like you said. The plug on cylinder 4 was black and had oil on it. All the codes went off and it's driving much better now. Should I be concerned about the wet plug and also the boot on one of the coil packs broke. Should I replace it or is it ok. I appreciate all the help.
There was oil on which side of the plug? Inside the cylinder or outside? Hopefully outside, in which case the spark plug tube seal is leaking and needs replaced - if it's inside, then you have a oil fouling issue which ought to be addressed. I would replace the broken coil pack - the boot is used to hold the contact in place and keep it clean/dry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is unfortunately being oil fouled on the firing tip. I had taken it to a mechanic. He said that my timing cover gasket was leaking oil and my VVT solenoid was bad and there's oil leaking from it as well. My fuel pump is also bad and it's leaking onto my alternator. I only have power steering when I'm hitting the gas. What do you think I should try and tackle first? I also don't know if any of that has to do with the oil fouled spark plug?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would start with the VVT solenoid... Is it giving symptoms besides leaking oil? I would replace the gaskets and reseal it and clean the area up and assess after that. It could be that the VVT leak is looking like a valve cover leak.

The VVT is in the right spot to leak onto the alternator and leaking oil onto the alternator will make the alternator fail.

The fuel pump may be covered by a recall. The power steering issue is common and probably unrelated to the other ones.

IMO, oil-fouling of the spark plug will not be due to an external oil leak. The combustion chamber is pretty tightly sealed! I would be suspecting a piston ring issue (what is your VCM status?)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
You're not done with fixing your problem, you need one of these ;) https://www.odyclub.com/threads/vcmuzzler-ii-for-disabling-vcm-faqs.268778/unread

Check cylinder #5 for cracked valve cover.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
It is unfortunately being oil fouled on the firing tip. I had taken it to a mechanic. He said that my timing cover gasket was leaking oil and my VVT solenoid was bad and there's oil leaking from it as well. My fuel pump is also bad and it's leaking onto my alternator. I only have power steering when I'm hitting the gas. What do you think I should try and tackle first? I also don't know if any of that has to do with the oil fouled spark plug?
Hold up, how is the fuel pump leaking on the alternator??

Best thing to do is do degrease/clean the engine thoroughly and then check for leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts