Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2010 Odyssey van has started to randomly shut off while decelerating and/or coming to a stop. It has happened 4 times over the past 3-4 weeks while driving on flat, normal roads (no bumps). There is no warning of when this will happen and the van does not stall at all. It just shuts off. All the lights on the control panel go dark and power is completely lost.

After waiting a minute, the van will start back up and drive OK. We did notice corrosion over the positive battery terminal and that it was loose. We cleaned it completely and tightened it, ensuring a firm connection. Nevertheless, the car shut off again the other day.

We have 3 kids and this is a dangerous situation.

Any suggestions on what it could be causing this problem. We have tried to research it but have not found anything online that is helpful.

·
Registered
622 Posts
How many miles on the van?

Any codes? Does it started happening suddenly or after some kind of work performed. Eventhough no check engine light, there may be some stored codes.

If you try it immediately, does it start or you have to wait for a minute. Otherwise, it will just cranks and no start?

Possible culprits that i can think of.
1) Fuel delivery - If you full throttle on highway, any backfire kind of thing? Fuel clogged / fuel pressure regulator / fuel pump. Any issue in starting after sitting for a while?
2) Crank / Cam sensor - When it cools down it works and finally it will die and then throws a code.
3) Ground connection. Any signs of rust?
4) When engine is running, open gas cap. Any signs of air.
5) No water damage in the ECU right? and the connection to the ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Any codes? Does it started happening suddenly or after some kind of work performed. Eventhough no check engine light, there may be some stored codes.

If you try it immediately, does it start or you have to wait for a minute. Otherwise, it will just cranks and no start?

1) Fuel delivery - If you full throttle on highway, any backfire kind of thing? Fuel clogged / fuel pressure regulator / fuel pump. Any issue in starting after sitting for a while?
2) Crank / Cam sensor - When it cools down it works and finally it will die and then throws a code.

[/QUOTE

190,000 miles are on the van. We do not get any error codes at all. The display panel goes black.

1) No backfire or any kind on the highway. No issues with re-starting the car after waiting for about a minute.
2) No sign of rust on the connection. I had some corrosion but I cleaned it really good.

I will check the ECU and connection.

Oddly enough, the car has only died when my wife is driving it. I have not been able to replicate the same problem when I drive it. I have a separate key. I was not sure if the chip inside her key may be a cause of the problem

·
Registered
622 Posts
Display panel goes black - No power and could be a loose connection. Finding is the tough part. When it happens, all electrical part dead or only the display panel?

Check the ECU and update. Make sure to remove battery connector first. Look for any signs of rust or deposits like that.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Display panel goes black - No power and could be a loose connection. Finding is the tough part. When it happens, all electrical part dead or only the display panel?

Check the ECU and update. Make sure to remove battery connector first. Look for any signs of rust or deposits like that.

Good luck
Hi

Any news on the solution for this one?

Our 2010 with 205,000 miles just cut off today while driving. Started right away twice then died right away. Started and ran fine after we waited a few minutes.

The only codes are catalytic converter codes that we've had for a while.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
THIS is VERY interesting issue. (Sorry, I have no idea - loose alternator connection? But does not explain why it will start right up though).

THAT SAID, my OLD Mazda MPV had EXACTLY same issue. (down to the fact that when I drove it, it did not shut off, only when my wife drove, it shut off - it happened maybe once or twice a year, and at the end, when I traded it in, it shut off maybe once every other week when my wife drove it - not when I drove it).

Another symptom that my Mazda had was when I was cruising - like going down hill with foot off the gas pedal, if I downshift, (D -> 2) then engine would cut off reliably (THIS, I could duplicate). It does NOT happen when I had foot on the accelerator (like going up hill, etc) or if I shift down when I was stopped. So, I was wondering whether my wife's driving style made sudden downshift while she was coasting causing the engine to cut off. Now, THAT was symptom, the dealer tried spark plug swap, coil pack swap, air filter, ATF change, tested fuel lines etc. to no avail.

Sorry for not giving you any possible solutions, but I will be watching this thread with interest.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
On previous generation Ody's this could be a symptom of main relay or ignition switch- but not necessarily when de-accelerating! (cold solder joints in main relay)
2) No sign of rust on the connection.
Did you check both ends of each ground connection? No rust on my connection! o_O

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a problem like this in my 2000 and it was the main really. Only happened a few times and it never happened again after replacing the main really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts