Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey posted here awhile ago and you all help with alignment issues on our 03 Ody. I know this is an ody forum, so I can guess where this is headed but heres my question.

Own a 2003 EX-L excellent shape <70,000mi also have 98 Accord EX-L <70,000. Going to keep the Accord to run the wheels off, great shape.

Only one kid - husband pushing for a CR-V. We drove a CRV-EXL and it is nice. Have to say the Lx and even EX's were like siting in a civic (no offence)

Here's the kicker latest quotes I have is about 10% off a CRV-EXL sticker while 2010 Ody EX-L (no navi) is running about 17% off sticker. So about $2800 diff. Will I be paying for that in the end (resale value) since it's the new year of a model change or should I jump on another Ody?

I'd love any input.
Carolyn
wanna be soccer mom!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very similar situation. We went from a 2002 Ody to a 2008 CRV EXL and then back to a 2010 Ody EXL. We drove the CRV for over 2 years. Didn't hate it but didn't like it either. It had poor utility and if I needed to transport a number of items it usually required more than 1 trip (forget furniture or any big items). Although the 2010 engine is rated at 180hp at 6800 rpm (166hp for the 2008) and 161 lb-ft torque, it's poorly mated to the 3554lb beast. You really had to work the engine. We're at a point where the boys are living in residence and being 6 hours away, we can easily transport all their items on one go in the Ody. Even with a downsized family, we still found very compelling reasons to own an Odyssey. We just love the comfort, security, utility and power that only this type of vehicle can offer. Believe it or not, the Ody handled better than the CRV - just compare their stance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The wife and I own a 2009 CR-V EXL w/Navi. We purchased it when we didn't have any children. We now have an 8 1/2 month old baby and are thinking about trading up to an Odyssey.

The CR-V is very nice (especially since it's the top of the line). We are sometimes surprised at how much it can hold in the cargo area if you get creative. However, the cargo area is limited due to the shape of the back of the CR-V. The previous generation were boxy in the back where the new ones are slanted and it definitely interferes when trying to load bigger items. It is a 4 cylinder so it does good with gas mileage but it is a little underpowered. The ride is a little choppy at times and the cabin does get buzzy with engine & road noise. We do have the AWD version and it did great in the snow.

I had the pleasure of driving a brand new 2010 Odyssey EXL RES/Nav yesterday and it is a night & day comparison to the CR-V. The Odyssey drives much nicer than the CR-V. It is quieter and feels more substantial on the road. The Odyssey accelerates easily and quietly too. And of course, utility wise, there is no comparison. The Odyssey can probably haul anything and anyone you put in it.

If it were me, it would be the Odyssey without question. My wife and I will be making a decision next week!

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your replies. We were very close to closing the deal on the CRV-EXL but wised up and are keeping our Ody EXL. It's a 2003 and just turned 70,000 mi. It is really in excellent shape. I just don't see the need. This way we can drive it a few more years then maybe pick up a 2 yr old ody. The whole buying new thing is just so expensive.

Thanks again, for your input. I agree there is no comparison between the two vehicles imho.
Carolyn

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
ndsmom said:
Thanks so much for your replies. We were very close to closing the deal on the CRV-EXL but wised up and are keeping our Ody EXL. It's a 2003 and just turned 70,000 mi. It is really in excellent shape. I just don't see the need. This way we can drive it a few more years then maybe pick up a 2 yr old ody. The whole buying new thing is just so expensive.

Thanks again, for your input. I agree there is no comparison between the two vehicles imho.
Carolyn
We had an 03 Odyssey and when it came time for a new vehicle, we seriously contempated a CRV, since I already have a Pilot. Ultimately, with the amount of traveling we do, with 2 kids and a dog, we decided the CRV just wasn't up to the task....hence the 09 Ody in my signature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts