Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First time posting on the site. I don't have a lot of experience with engines, so trying to learn as I go.
I have a 2010 Odyssey EXL. I have had some interittment problems with the check engine light and some misfires. It often cleared up before I got to my local mechanic. He indicated he had seen this before and mentioned they tend to use oil, so I should keep oil levels up and I should be fine. This seemed to be working, but last week it started misfiring again and losing power. I had it towed to the local dealer. Their diagnosis was bad spark plugs and it needed the cylinders adjusted ~$1000. I got a call later when the work was completed, but it didn't resolve the misfire which was on cylinder 6. The next day they did a compression test on cylinder 6 and it apparently failed, they also found oil on the spark plug(s). Now they believe I have a burnt valve that needs replaced which is roughly $3000. Researching on this site and the internet I found the class action law suit involving cylinders 1-3. Not knowing a lot about engines, I see potential for some correlation here, but the dealer assures me this isn't possible. I asked for some help with the repairs given the history with misfires, but the dealer refused. I am awaiting a case with Honda North America now, but the rep who took my complaint didn't think it would go anywhere. My local mechanic has another client who just had a similar issue with cylinder 3 & 6 (trying to verify cylinders involved with that customer yet) and NA Honda covered 90% of the bill. Same dealer, same service advisor, but they denied knowing anything about this. My vehicle has 200,000 miles on it and otherwise is in good condition and we were hoping to get another 50,000 out of it.
Does anyone have thoughts if my #6 issue could be related to known problems on #1-3? Anything else I should ask the dealer or push back with? Will it be a money pit if I invest in the repair, or do these have good outcomes once fixed? Anything you can share would be beneficial. Sorry, I don't have the codes that were found, but could try to get them. I don't have much faith in my service advisor. I appreciate the knowledge of all on this site! This is my 5th Honda, so I have been loyal, but this is making me reconsider.

I also have a 2010 Accord with a similar issue. I am concerned I will repeat this scenario on that vehicle. The dealer looked up the history and said something had already been done on the Accord to avoid this. Do I need to sell this before my daughters are stranded on the roadside with it?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
The known problems are technically 1-4. Don't trust only what Honda has put out.

VCM will always be a money pit until you disable it. Are you sure it's cylinder 6 and that your cylinder numbering is correct? Because 6 is not a VCM cylinder and should not have VCM symptoms. It seems odd that you'd have issues with cylinder 6 on two separate vehicles, unless you're labeling your cylinders wrong.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer tells me it is #6, I don't have the engine knowledge to speak beyond that. I am associating it with the VCM since the symptoms seem the same. No issues on the Accord yet, just concerned given similar engine.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
The dealer tells me it is #6, I don't have the engine knowledge to speak beyond that. I am associating it with the VCM since the symptoms seem the same. No issues on the Accord yet, just concerned given similar engine.
If it's also a V6 and has VCM (so 2008 and up), go ahead and disable it. You'll have no issues, provided that you keep up with maintenance.

Going with a dealer is a poor move at this point. Issues related to VCM are well known, but the dealer will avoid them. What you should do is install a VCMTuner II and replace all 6 spark plugs. Then re-evaluate what needs to be done.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
First, don't spend any more money on an engine with 200K miles.

Second, I assume you payed the dealer by credit card, and as they didn't fix your problem, stop payment on the charge.

The troubleshooting they did after the plugs and stuff were done, should have been done first.

Finally, if you want another 50K miles do this:

1. As was said, disable the VCM.

2. Switch to a heavier oil, say 5W30, and if that doesn't work, 5W40.

3. If #6 is still fouling, use the following:

Just make sure the non-fouler you buy is correct for your vehicle.

Start your search for a replacement vehicle now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, don't spend any more money on an engine with 200K miles.

Second, I assume you payed the dealer by credit card, and as they didn't fix your problem, stop payment on the charge.

The troubleshooting they did after the plugs and stuff were done, should have been done first.

Finally, if you want another 50K miles do this:

1. As was said, disable the VCM.

2. Switch to a heavier oil, say 5W30, and if that doesn't work, 5W40.

3. If #6 is still fouling, use the following:

Just make sure the non-fouler you buy is correct for your vehicle.

Start your search for a replacement vehicle now.
I haven't paid the dealer yet. They indicated no charge on the plugs or cylinder adjustment, so at this point I am looking at $200 in diagnostic fees. Do you know will the dealer disable the VCM?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I haven't paid the dealer yet. They indicated no charge on the plugs or cylinder adjustment, so at this point I am looking at $200 in diagnostic fees. Do you know will the dealer disable the VCM?
No. They won't.
Just order one. I have VCM Tuner II but there are others (S-VCM, etc). Not difficult to install.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Honda dealer will not admit to any issues with VCM and certainly won't recommend or install a VCM muzzler device. Even though Honda lost a class action lawsuit and issued an extended warranty to replace damaged piston rings caused by VCM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate the feedback. Do you think I have any traction to say my cylinder 6 issues are related to the known VCM issues?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. Do you think I have any traction to say my cylinder 6 issues are related to the known VCM issues?
I doubt it. But as I mentioned, the VCM variable should be eliminated first. Then reassess your situation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would not trust the dealer at all. First if you have the skill pulll spark plug 6 , check the condition of the spark plug (it might just be loose) . Clean off all the oil residue, replace spark plug if needed. Most Dealers are for the lack of a better word scum buckets . Have you followed the maintenance schedule on your Ody ? You are near your timing belt replacement mileage 210K I believe. Spark plugs might need changing also. If you keep it well maintained,and drive sensibly you can get 500,000 miles easily. I am close to 290,000 miles on my 06 Ody.Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would not trust the dealer at all. First if you have the skill pulll spark plug 6 , check the condition of the spark plug (it might just be loose) . Clean off all the oil residue, replace spark plug if needed. Most Dealers are for the lack of a better word scum buckets . Have you followed the maintenance schedule on your Ody ? You are near your timing belt replacement mileage 210K I believe. Spark plugs might need changing also. If you keep it well maintained,and drive sensibly you can get 500,000 miles easily. I am close to 290,000 miles on my 06 Ody.Keep us posted.
We changed the timing belt around 135,000 so we are ok there for a while. We are due for spark plugs though. We are pretty good with the maintenance and good with driving habits. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
If you're due for spark plugs then that's another variable that you should eliminate before blaming this misfire on anything. It could easily just be a worn out spark plug. Really you should replace them with the timing belt job.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
The spark plugs were replaced without any change in the misfire.
Have you tried a coil drop test? Swap coils with a good cylinder and see if the misfire also moves. Then you know if the problem is in the cylinder or the coil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
will have to ask the dealer about that. I don't think it is something I can do, but have seen it discussed a lot here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts