Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,644 Posts
will have to ask the dealer about that. I don't think it is something I can do, but have seen it discussed a lot here.
Honestly the dealership is not the place for this. They're not going to be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
will have to ask the dealer about that. I don't think it is something I can do, but have seen it discussed a lot here.
If the engine is idling rough, the coil-drop test is very easy for you to do! And as others suggest, find a good independent mechanic rather than rely on the services of the 'stealership'!
As WiiMaster suggest- swapping coils, that's fine if you have a code saying a single cylinder is misfiring. (But the code is not always accurate.) And you have a scanner to read and reset the codes.
If the engine is idling rough, you can disconnect a single coil at a time. If the idle gets worse then that coil is fine. Reconnect and on to the next one. If the idle does not change- you found the failing coil! Many videos on how to do this. Either disconnect the electrical connector to the coil, or as I prefer- unscrew the hex bolt and disconnect the coil from the spark plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How do you know the dealer's wrong and it's not a burned valve?
They may be right, but they confidently said it was the plugs and cylinders needing adjustment. My local mechanic said I should push back on Honda for the VCM also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We changed the timing belt around 135,000 so we are ok there for a while. We are due for spark plugs though. We are pretty good with the maintenance and good with driving habits. Thanks for your reply.
I'm guessing spark plug "6" loosened and the honest grease monkeys @ the dealership told the service manager LOOSE spark plug who then turned it into a major cash upgrade for HONDA

21 - 25 of 25 Posts