Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Today, the mechanic who inspected my Odyssey for a groaning sound from steering and a tire TPMS issue reported that the driver side Spring(left front) is broken and Struts are also worn out . He recommended replacing the Strut Spring assembly along with Sway bars. Said he did not inspect CV Axle and tie rods, so not sure about its condition. The van has got 51000 miles. I have been using this van for mostly short trips within the city and never have used roughly. Bought this Odyssey used from a honda dealer a year and half ago with 40000 miles. Thinking that this issue might have been there even before the day I bought from the dealer. What are my options?

Is it safe to drive the Van in this condition (with one broken spring and worn out struts?) ? Is the van running on borrowed time?
If need to do a suspension refresh, what all have to be changed and approx how much would it cost?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
First, you need a second opinion.

Second, if the spring is broken, the ride height should be down on the driver's side.

Third, since this is the front end, your components should be replaced in pairs, both sides.

Fourth, with engine off, lift front end off ground, and with somebody turning the wheel, see if you can locate noise source.

Fifth, you need a second opinion, and don't say anything about the first opinion.

·
Registered
2010 Odyssey EX, Canadian
1,224 Posts
Bought used, from dealer? I suspect your struts are aftermarket. Honda OEM struts can run up to 150-200K.
I have KYB struts now, but I had to reassemble one, it wasn't put together correctly.
If I was you, I would order OEM struts, they are not that expensive. Try Bernardiparts or hondapartsnow.

Reactions: tomgwuyn

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, you need a second opinion.

Second, if the spring is broken, the ride height should be down on the driver's side.

Third, since this is the front end, your components should be replaced in pairs, both sides.

Fourth, with engine off, lift front end off ground, and with somebody turning the wheel, see if you can locate noise source.

Fifth, you need a second opinion, and don't say anything about the first opinion.
Thank you. I don't see the ride height down on the driver's side. I have scheduled an appointment with another Indy shop for a second opinion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought used, from dealer? I suspect your struts are aftermarket. Honda OEM struts can run up to 150-200K.
I have KYB struts now, but I had to reassemble one, it wasn't put together correctly.
If I was you, I would order OEM struts, they are not that expensive. Try Bernardiparts or hondapartsnow.
Sure I will order those parts from here . But its going to be difficult to find a mechanic who will install my parts.

·
Registered
2010 Odyssey EX, Canadian
1,224 Posts
Sure I will order those parts from here . But its going to be difficult to find a mechanic who will install my parts.
Struts replacement is very simple job. You can DIY, with minimum tools.
Any small shop should be able to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts