Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Ody owners!

I purchased my 1st Ody certified pre-owned after baby #2, almost four years ago at 58,000 mi. 40,000 Miles and another baby later... it's time for this Odyssey's 3rd set of tires. I'm going to throw out some information about the original and current set for reference. Please lend me thoughts are on a third, I am hoping for some some feedback on what your experience has been, or what you might think of my possible selections.

Original set (came with the vehicle): Michelin Energy LX4 102T - OEM
Honestly I did not really expect much as they were OE tires and due for replacement soon anyway, with 5-6/32nds left on the tread. I rotated them once. Around 8,000 miles of use (on my watch) they began to vibrate between 65-68MPH. They had edgewear/cupping on all four tires. (Alignment checked out good!!!)

Replacement 1: Firestone FR710 100T 560AB 65,000mi Warranty
These tires ran well for about 20,000 miles, and required road force balancing twice. 3rd time with roadforce (at Discount Tire) improved the ride. Tires are now down to 2-4/32nds, vibration has returned at 65-68mph. Normal tire rotations performed per the maintenance minder since install. Edgewear is back, alignment checks out good.

**Someone at Discount tire told me that Odyssey is known for edgewear and chewing up tires quickly because the vehicle is so heavy. Does anyone else have this problem? I am willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy to sure up the tires by using an XL or an LT, but I want a touring tread for a smoother ride.

I am considering the following:

Goodyear Eagle LS P235/60R17 103S XL
Goodyear Radial LS LT235/60R17 112/109S E ... another "heavy" tire (might be overkill for an Ody).

Anyone else out there been down this decision path?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack is very nice. They are a little bit on the expensive side ($317 ea. 255/45R19), but rated up to 80,000 miles. I think for your tires size, it is half the price. My 06 Ody tires size are 255/45R19 with Acura RLX Hybrid wheels that has noise damper builtin to the wheels. The quietest tires I have ever owned. I don't know how noisy it will be on standard wheels though. The Vredestein Quatrac 5 is also good and cheaper. Goodyear Weatherready is the 3rd option.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I Depaxed my '07 Touring I went with 16" after market wheels and 235/65R16 General Altimax RT43 tires as they top rated on Consumer Reports and were reasonable at about $100 per tire. I have 1 year and over 13K miles on the tires and so far I've been very satisfied with them. I'm pretty sure they come in the size you need.

Too early to say, but I expect to get more that the 40K miles I was getting from a set of PAX tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I Depaxed my '07 Touring I went with 16" after market wheels and 235/65R16 General Altimax RT43 tires as they top rated on Consumer Reports and were reasonable at about $100 per tire. I have 1 year and over 13K miles on the tires and so far I've been very satisfied with them. I'm pretty sure they come in the size you need.

Too early to say, but I expect to get more that the 40K miles I was getting from a set of PAX tires.
Thanks Bert

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Is van depaxed? Your first set ran over 60K miles. Get them again if you can?

Do you have a bent wheel or a bent suspension component. The tires are sized for the weight of the car, and unless there is something wrong, they won't burn up tires because the van is heavy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Marvin,

Thank you for the comments. I believe this van was manufactured Post-Pax | 2010. Perhaps a re-do on the OE set is possible. I really want something with a harder tread compound, perhaps an XL load range if I can find that combo with a touring tread. Suspension is definitely good.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is van depaxed? Your first set ran over 60K miles. Get them again if you can?

Do you have a bent wheel or a bent suspension component. The tires are sized for the weight of the car, and unless there is something wrong, they won't burn up tires because the van is heavy.
That's a good point. If the tires were original when the vehicle was purchased at 58K miles and you got another 8K miles on them, that is 66K miles which is normally what could be expected.

Replacement 1: Firestone FR710 100T 560AB 65,000mi Warranty
If the Firestone's are really only 100T where the original tires were 102T the load rating could be too low and may be the reason the tire life isn't good. I'd make sure the load rating of tires you get are 102 or higher. The General Altimax RT43 in your size are 102T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where do you live and what conditions do you drive in?

Your choice and the recommendations surely will be different if you live in Florida versus here in central Canada where it's winter for half the year.

If you drive on snow and ice at all and do not want to have dedicated winter tires, then take a look at the newer 3PMSF-branded Grand Touring All-Season tires that started to become available about 2 years ago. They are supposed to be as good as any other "all season" radial in the summer, and around 90+% as good as dedicated winter tires, so you can manage an entire year without the hassle of swapping and storing wheels.

Goodyear Assurance Weatherready looks pretty interesting with the testing that's been completed to date and a 60k mile (100k km) rating:

Here's the full list of the 3PMSF Grand Touring tires and ratings:

The Goodyear is 2nd from the top of the list with near top-of-the-charts 9+/10 ratings in Wet/Dry/Winter/Comfort/Treadware categories and are highly recommended by actual users. They are available in your 235/60R17 size in a 102H load/speed rating.

BTW, your Goodyear Eagle LS's rate near the bottom of that list with 3-6/10 ratings...

Based on that, you might actually want to consider the All-Season Weatherready's whether you drive on snow/ice or not as they seem like pretty capable summer-only tires too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good point. If the tires were original when the vehicle was purchased at 58K miles and you got another 8K miles on them, that is 66K miles which is normally what could be expected.

If the Firestone's are really only 100T where the original tires were 102T the load rating could be too low and may be the reason the tire life isn't good. I'd make sure the load rating of tires you get are 102 or higher. The General Altimax RT43 in your size are 102T.
Ok. I think the curb weight is around 4,600lbs unloaded. With family onboard it's closer to 5500. I would think even four 100Ts should be able to handle that...it would be what, 7,056 ... carrying capacity? 102s would work out to be around 7496? I'll have a looksee at the General Altimax also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you live and what conditions do you drive in?

Your choice and the recommendations surely will be different if you live in Florida versus here in central Canada where it's winter for half the year.

If you drive on snow and ice at all and do not want to have dedicated winter tires, then take a look at the newer 3PMSF-branded Grand Touring All-Season tires that started to become available about 2 years ago. They are supposed to be as good as any other "all season" radial in the summer, and around 90+% as good as dedicated winter tires, so you can manage an entire year without the hassle of swapping and storing wheels.

Goodyear Assurance Weatherready looks pretty interesting with the testing that's been completed to date and a 60k mile (100k km) rating:

Here's the full list of the 3PMSF Grand Touring tires and ratings:

The Goodyear is 2nd from the top of the list with near top-of-the-charts 9+/10 ratings in Wet/Dry/Winter/Comfort/Treadware categories and are highly recommended by actual users. They are available in your 235/60R17 size in a 102H load/speed rating.

BTW, your Goodyear Eagle LS's rate near the bottom of that list with 3-6/10 ratings...

Based on that, you might actually want to consider the All-Season Weatherready's whether you drive on snow/ice or not as they seem like pretty capable summer-only tires too.
Hi Peter,

Hailing from Southeast Texas here. I'll rarely see snow, ... usually we can use a small boat in a pinch. I'll take note of your suggestion on the Weatherready's, ... and the advise on the Goodyear Eagle LS.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I have a 2010 Touring and after my second set of Michelin LX4's I went with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring. I have put 10K miles on them and they are good so far. Quiet & Handle well. I had those same tires on a Ford Escape AWD and put 90K on them and turned in the lease with 4-5/32's still on them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok. I think the curb weight is around 4,600lbs unloaded. With family onboard it's closer to 5500. I would think even four 100Ts should be able to handle that...it would be what, 7,056 ... carrying capacity? 102s would work out to be around 7496? I'll have a looksee at the General Altimax also.
Not sure if it is a problem or not, or how much higher the load index should be compared to vehicle weight, but why would you go to a lower load index tire when there are many tire choices having the same 102 Load Index originally coming on the vehicle? Just looking online they talk about getting the same or higher than the original load index.

When I Depaxed Discount Tire would only allow me to drop to 103T from the 104 for the PAX. I was considering the 235/60R17 and 17" wheels, but because they were 102T they wouldn't budge and sell them to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts