Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on vacation and had to rent a minivan, was pleasently surprised when I was offered a new Town and Country (no leather, but had all the sliding doors and liftgate). Definately does not handle like my Ody, and after driving my Ody for over 1000km just the week before, the Town and Country just does not do the job. It is a giant box on wheels! (so is the Ody but it doesn't drive like it). Just not as refined, I do have to say that the interior is a bit more updated than the Ody's, but everything else, the Ody wins hands down.... why don't rental companies rent out Odys? :confused: :p

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
pankster said:
.... why don't rental companies rent out Odys? :confused: :p
I dunno...but I sure saw a lot of Odys being used as taxis the last time I was in Hawaii.

Last time I drove a newer Chrysler badged minivan, it was the same experience. It sure seemed to do well on individual measured points of performance, but putting them all together where the roads curve, or where you have to do more than one thing at once in busy city traffic...it felt "pudgy". I just can't think of a better word.

Just wish that Ford made a minivan. They seem to be coming back strong as a company.

OF

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Re: 2010 Town and Country - miss my Ody!

0dyfamily said:
...Just wish that Ford made a minivan. They seem to be coming back strong as a company.

OF
Yeah, I wondered about that. I think they're ready to get this right. They have the Flex to fill in the gap however.

·
Registered
301 Posts
pankster said:
why don't rental companies rent out Odys? :confused: :p
Because they can get american cars at 40% the street price. I work for a big company and asked why they buy so many bad cars and I was told they pay 40% (60% less) what a normal customer would pay.

So a big % of american cars sold are sold at 40% the price other people paid. I would no be very happy to know that I paid 250% of the price paid by many others...

And there goes the resale value...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will finish my week of driving the Town and Country. Already, one of the vent adjusters broke, a really really cheap piece of plastic. The shifting of the transmission was brutal, jumpy when you push on the gas and it seemed like it was always searching for that 3rd gear. I really appreciated the warning signal the Odyssey gave when you use the automatic lift gate because two people have already hit their heads on the Town and Country lift gate when I was closing it. There are many things that this vehicle falls short on and I appreciated the Odyssey more. Makes the price difference that I had to pay a little easier to swallow! :)

I actually did rent a Toyota Sienna once down in Ohio, seemed strange since any other one I rented was either a Dodge or Kia. I would have prefered the Kia actually rather than this Town and Country!

Going back home now and looking forward to driving the Odyssey from the airport home!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Re: Re: 2010 Town and Country - miss my Ody!

Laphroaig said:
Because they can get american cars at 40% the street price. I work for a big company and asked why they buy so many bad cars and I was told they pay 40% (60% less) what a normal customer would pay.

True, and then the remainder of the rental business model is to resell them at just the right time, and for about what they paid. So their total vehicle cost is basic maintenance only.

Pankster glad you found the Ody still trumps the T&C in the handling department. Still, the Chrysler vans keep Honda honest with their aggressive pricing. Many purchasers don't appreciate the value of good engineering, instead choosing a car just by comparing sticker prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts