Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we had a 2010 EXL(RES/NAV) for 2 months before my wife got rear ended and the car totalled (she had only minor injuries thank goodness - and hence why we bought an Ody again). We bought the 2011 Touring which we've had for a month. Here's the pros/cons vs. the 2010 in our opinion:

Pros:
1) Handling/Ride - the 2010 was good, but the 2011 is even better
2) Brakes - just feel better/firmer
3) Backup Camera - way better - clearer, lines really help, different views good
4) Screen - way clearer
5) Controls - all around much better. I know some liked the touch screen in 2010. Phone controls way better - able to easily select #s
6) HDD/USB ipod very nice
7) 2nd row searts tilt back, so you can actually titlt back with a car seat installed so an adult can get in the 3rd row
8) Nav is better

Cons:
1) steering wheel controls should have allowed you to select numbers and features on screen to dial
2) you have to fill the HDD one CD at a time rather than just dump from USB
3) front row console does not fold down; only one cup holder in front pull out drawer
4) It's too wide imo
5) 2nd row captains chairs can not be put next to each other
6) Front seats seem slightly too small (or my butt got bigger)
7) Steering a little too light (not as bad as Sienna's)

Indifferent:
1) Styling - doesn't bother us one way or another (obviously a personal preference)
2) lower height - easier to get in, but grounding out more often
3) Fit/Finish - I know some people saying it's worse; seems comparable to me - it's not a mercedes, but it's certainly not rental car cheap

All around happy so far.

·
Registered
810 Posts
How is the noise level of your 2011 compaired to the 2010?

·
Banned
728 Posts
hitchens97 said:
Definitely quieter on freeway, but tbh the road noise in the 2010 never bothered me
I'm bothered by interior noise - and particular - road noise. I've been comparing the 2011 Sienna to the 2011 Odyssey and the Sienna SE seems a bit quieter than the Odyssey.

Our 2008 Sienna seems pretty loud inside at highway speeds so I'm being a bit picky when looking at new vans.

Car and Driver has tested the 2011 Sienna and reports an interior sound level of 70 db at 70 mp/h. The 2011 Odyssey also tested at 70 db.

You say that the older van is noisier than the new van, but I looked up an old road test for the 2007 Odyssey and C&D tested it at 67 db which should make it a fair bit quieter. I also looked up their review of the 2007 Sienna and it tested at 66 db.

It is hard what to make of these tests as C&D commented that the earlier van is a bit noisy, but said in the latest review that the only notably road noise was over bumps.

I'm left wondering whether both of these vans are noisier than the ones they replace or C&D has a new testing device that provides different results across the board (i.e. higher db ratings).

Maybe I should write them. :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Most likley the only difference was the road surface that the vans were tested on.
Our 2005 is MUCH quieter with GoodYear Confortreads over the stock tires. But there is still room for improvement.

·
Banned
728 Posts
ledebuhr1 said:
Most likley the only difference was the road surface that the vans were tested on.
Our 2005 is MUCH quieter with GoodYear Confortreads over the stock tires. But there is still room for improvement.
I was thinking that the tires can make a major difference. I've tested both an EX-L (with 17's) and a Touring (with 18's) and I could swear the touring had more road noise. I'm going to try and do a back to back test drive tomorrow afternoon. I'm bringing my iPhone along for he ride - I have a decibel meter app on it. Not scientifically accurate, but should show differences between the two vehicles, if any.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ledebuhr1 said:
Did you compare new stock tires directly against new Comfortreads?

Cause if you didn't then your assessment is flawed and your only hearing a difference between old noisy tires vs. a brand new tire for which there is often a huge difference in noise.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Shazzam said:
I was thinking that the tires can make a major difference. I've tested both an EX-L (with 17's) and a Touring (with 18's) and I could swear the touring had more road noise. I'm going to try and do a back to back test drive tomorrow afternoon. I'm bringing my iPhone along for he ride - I have a decibel meter app on it. Not scientifically accurate, but should show differences between the two vehicles, if any.
It is not only tires, but also the size and width. I'm not surprised that the 18's are noisier, all other things being the same. Add that to what is most likely a wider tire and also probably a stiffer sidewall and you'll get a much noisier setup.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The factory tires were changed with only 22k on them. yes it was early but the Confortreads are much better overall. On fresh pavement you dont even hear the tires. On concrete you only hear a muffeled droan.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
It is not only tires, but also the size and width. I'm not surprised that the 18's are noisier, all other things being the same. Add that to what is most likely a wider tire and also probably a stiffer sidewall and you'll get a much noisier setup.
Actually, the 17's and 18's both have 235mm of tread, but the sidewall on the 18's is about .4" shorter.

If I can get away from the office for an hour or so tomorrow, the dealer has an EX-L and a Touring for me to drive back to back.

The Touring has the Michelin tires (traditionally noisy tires) and the EX-L has Continental tires (I think). It will be hard to tell what is causing more road noise (if in fact there is a difference) - the tire manufacture difference or the size difference.

Based on the above post, I bet it is the tire manufacturer.

I guess, in the end, I just need to get comfortable with the noise level. I was just surprised that by the C&D road test data, the new vans (both Sienna and Odyssey) are noisier inside that the vans they replace while some new owners say the find the new Odyssey quieter than the last generation van.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The data is puzzling if it fact it shows that the previous generation Odyssey and the current one have the same noise levels. I went from a 2007 EX-L to a 2011 EX-L and there is a very, very significant difference. It is quite noticeable to the naked ear. In fact, upon riding in the new van for the first time, the first thing my father said was that it was much quieter than our last one.

The engine noise is a bit more pronounced, but I attribute that to the fact that wind and road noise are much less. I wouldn't call it loud. Road/bumps and wind are much less. Same thing at idle.

·
Banned
728 Posts
MFLetou said:
The data is puzzling if it fact it shows that the previous generation Odyssey and the current one have the same noise levels. I went from a 2007 EX-L to a 2011 EX-L and there is a very, very significant difference. It is quite noticeable to the naked ear. In fact, upon riding in the new van for the first time, the first thing my father said was that it was much quieter than our last one.

The engine noise is a bit more pronounced, but I attribute that to the fact that wind and road noise are much less. I wouldn't call it loud. Road/bumps and wind are much less. Same thing at idle.
Actually, C&D shows the 2011 Sienna and Odyssey as the same at 70 db, but shows the 2007 Odyssey at 67 db, which makes it quieter than the new Odyssey.

What is confusing is that you are not the first owner to say that the new 2011 is much quieter than your old last generation Odyssey, but that observation seems to fly in the face of the test results.

I don't doubt your real life impressions though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My guess is that when new the test data is correct

My guess is that the '07 when brand new was quieter than the '11 brand new. After 4 years the original tires were probably replaced with tires that have better traction (more noise), if the tires are original than they are getting worn out and may make more noise, the insulation is packed down, the seals are drying out, the little cubby holes have pens, pen tops, buttons and misc. other stuff that moves about even if you can't hear it individually it probably makes a bit of noise, the panels and other things have been jiggled and stressed with temperature extremes creating more gaps, rubbing against each other, loosening etc...

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: My guess is that when new the test data is correct

mic111 said:
My guess is that the '07 when brand new was quieter than the '11 brand new. After 4 years the original tires were probably replaced with tires that have better traction (more noise), if the tires are original than they are getting worn out and may make more noise, the insulation is packed down, the seals are drying out, the little cubby holes have pens, pen tops, buttons and misc. other stuff that moves about even if you can't hear it individually it probably makes a bit of noise, the panels and other things have been jiggled and stressed with temperature extremes creating more gaps, rubbing against each other, loosening etc...
Well if comparing new to new the 11 is louder inside - it is a bit of a step backwards, in my opinion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: My guess is that when new the test data is correct

mic111 said:
No way. See, it isn't like a little quieter--its a LOT quieter. I know what you are saying, but that can't account for such a disparity. Now, this is my wife's daily driver, though I drive it every weekend. Anyway, she's sitting here as we watch the Celtics and I asked her. Answer--yes, its much quieter. "I don't hear the road at all." Ha. So there you go. I told her about the sound testing and the theory that maybe it was because our van was getting older. She said no, the old van was always kind of noisy. Which is true--I always did think it was noisy. This one is really quiet.

So, I don't know. All I can say is--maybe see if you can drive an old one and a new one back to back. I guarantee you'll notice the difference.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: Re: My guess is that when new the test data is correct

MFLetou said:
No way. See, it isn't like a little quieter--its a LOT quieter. I know what you are saying, but that can't account for such a disparity. Now, this is my wife's daily driver, though I drive it every weekend. Anyway, she's sitting here as we watch the Celtics and I asked her. Answer--yes, its much quieter. "I don't hear the road at all." Ha. So there you go. I told her about the sound testing and the theory that maybe it was because our van was getting older. She said no, the old van was always kind of noisy. Which is true--I always did think it was noisy. This one is really quiet.

So, I don't know. All I can say is--maybe see if you can drive an old one and a new one back to back. I guarantee you'll notice the difference.
Well, I took a 2011 Touring and EX-L for a test drive - back to back yesterday. Same roads, same speeds.

Here is what I found: There is no significant difference in road noise between the two vans. The roads were wet, so the actual db value isn't of concern here (my iPhone db meter isn't a scientific device anyway), but both vans were showing 70 - 72 db driving on varying surfaces at around 70 - 80 km/h (40 - 50 mp/h). Wind noise is pretty well controlled in the vans as speeds up to 100 km/h didn't increase the db level by more than 1 or2.

The interesting thing is that when I got into my 2008 Sienna to drive home, the db reading was about 2 db lower that the Odyssey(s) - again on the same road. C&D tested the 2007 Sienna and Odyssey to be about 3 db quieter than the current models.

Maybe the db reading doesn't tell the whole story. Perhaps 72 db of mostly wind noise is more apparent that 72 db of mostly tire noise. In this case there may be less wind noise exposing the "roar" of the tires on the imperfect road surface.

Whatever the measure, to my ears (and the two other people I brought with me), the new Odyssey was a bit noisier than my old van, or "maybe the same". I don't think anyone thought the new Odyssey was quieter than the 2008 Sienna (which according to C&D tested at the same db as the same year Odyssey).

I'm more than a bit disappointed that Honda (and it would seem Toyota's Sienna) are at the best no quieter than the vans they replace.

As I sit here and type this, I admit that my interest in a van is purely for function. Given that the entry point for the Odyssey in Canada is $29,000 and tops out at $46,000, I'm wondering whether I shouldn't just get an EX in the 30's and put the rest of the money towards our second car, which is due to be replaced next year.

True, you get allot more toys in the Touring, but, in the end it is the same van with the same driving dynamics (save for the 6 speed), so I feel like I would be dressing up a "6" to look like a "9".

Finally, a word about the 6 speed transmission. Driving the 2 vans back to back convinces me that the 6 speed has better acceleration at lower speeds. It does, however, seem a bit frenetic in its shifting at times, taking many gears quickly and not being sure what gear to settle in, but at other times (when cruising or downshifting) seems perfect. The 5 speed doesn't provide as much acceleration off the line but I though it was a bit more definite in its gear selection. Maybe this had something to do with the fact that I drove a Touring with zero miles on it and the transmission hadn't retained a "driver pattern" yet. The 2010 MDX demo I drove on Thursday (with the same transmission) shifted flawlessly, never hunting for a gear under light acceleration.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In our '08 Touring, I am really disappointed with the wind noise that comes through via the front window seals, I'm not expecting Teutonic level of quietness, but the noise really drone when driving long distance on the highway.

That is definitely something I'll be noticing when we test drive the various candidates for my wife's next car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My guess is that when new the test data is correct

Shazzam said:
Finally, a word about the 6 speed transmission. Driving the 2 vans back to back convinces me that the 6 speed has better acceleration at lower speeds. It does, however, seem a bit frenetic in its shifting at times, taking many gears quickly and not being sure what gear to settle in, but at other times (when cruising or downshifting) seems perfect. The 5 speed doesn't provide as much acceleration off the line but I though it was a bit more definite in its gear selection. Maybe this had something to do with the fact that I drove a Touring with zero miles on it and the transmission hadn't retained a "driver pattern" yet. The 2010 MDX demo I drove on Thursday (with the same transmission) shifted flawlessly, never hunting for a gear under light acceleration.
I wonder if the automatic transmissions on the Honda or the Toyota can be 'reset' like on my Mercedes-Benz. There is a procedure that's published on various forums that will reset the memorized driving modes and shifts depending on the driving style and input; and yes, this procedure can be performed in the comfort of one's garage.

Anyone know if Honda or Toyota has this feature, especially on the new 6-speed transmission?

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: My guess is that when new the test data is correct

Arkay said:
I wonder if the automatic transmissions on the Honda or the Toyota can be 'reset' like on my Mercedes-Benz. There is a procedure that's published on various forums that will reset the memorized driving modes and shifts depending on the driving style and input; and yes, this procedure can be performed in the comfort of one's garage.

Anyone know if Honda or Toyota has this feature, especially on the new 6-speed transmission?
I think they can, but the one I drove had 5 km's on it, so I don't think it had been set to an odd pattern of driving yet.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: My guess is that when new the test data is correct

Arkay said:

Unlike your Merc, I highly doubt that the Honda or Toyota have the adaptive memories like many luxury cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts