Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a 2012 Odyssey EX-L. I've noticed a pretty bad distortion at my eye level that basically gives me a severe headache after driving just 10 minutes. It's like wearing the wrong prescription glasses and driving. While I know that distortion happens in glass and it's not possible to have zero distortion, this seems pretty bad. I've recently had a few other vehicles with high slope windshields (Nissan 350Z, BMW 3-series, Acura TL) and haven't noticed it to be nearly this bad.

I went to the dealer today and the service manager was out, but the interim manager says that it's likely due to the lamination between the two pieces of glass in the windshield.

It appears that others have had this problem, but has anyone reached a satisfactory resolution?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Have you tried other Odys on the lot to see if it is unique to yours? If it is the same with all of them, I suppose you could try the Touring, with its acoustic windshield. I don't know if that would make a difference, but it is worth a try.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There is a thread on this. They used to have a lot of distortion same with the mirrors.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/132090-2011-distorted-windshield.html

Our windshield was pretty seriously warped, passengers noticed, etc. A rock hit it ant the replacement thankfully is fine. A year ago I sat in several ex and tourings, problem was everywhere. I thought they fixed it, there have not been reports for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a thread on this. They used to have a lot of distortion same with the mirrors.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/132090-2011-distorted-windshield.html

Our windshield was pretty seriously warped, passengers noticed, etc. A rock hit it ant the replacement thankfully is fine. A year ago I sat in several ex and tourings, problem was everywhere. I thought they fixed it, there have not been reports for a while.
PhilZJ - Did you get your replacement at Honda? Was it an OEM windshield or an aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
PhilZJ - Did you get your replacement at Honda? Was it an OEM windshield or an aftermarket?
No, I got it from Glass Pros, it was an OEM replacement though. Incase it matters, they said this windshield is too big to install at home, I had to bring the van in. Same company replaced the windshield on our other car in the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
Here is the response from Honda regarding this issue:

Frequently Asked Questions - Official Honda Web Site

When I look through the side of the windshield on my car, it's all wavy and distorted. Is this normal?

This distortion is called "cross-car distortion." You will notice it when you're watching a vehicle cross in front of your car and also when you're turning left and looking through the right side of the windshield at other vehicles. Front-seat passengers see the same distortion when they look through the left side of the windshield. Since cross-car distortion occurs when you look through the glass at an angle, it may be even more noticeable for short drivers. Wearing nonprescription sunglasses, which tend to reduce depth perception, also may increase the perceived distortion.
Some cross-car distortion exists in the windshields of Honda vehicles manufactured since 1994. In fact, all of these recent Honda windshields have this distortion to some degree, and the condition should be considered normal. Because the aerodynamic windshield of recent Hondas is at more of an angle than in the past, the cross-car distortion may be slightly more noticeable, even though the jump distortion is at the same low level as before. These windshields meet all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for glazing materials, and this minor distortion is allowable within the industry specifications for automotive glass.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi there,
I have a 2011 touring Canadian,( same as elite in U.S.)and there is a little distortion on both side of the windshield and in the middle.
The side driving mirror was warp or distortion and made them replace it at the dealer with better improvement.
But for the windshield we test an EX-L before and it was horrible(made my head spin after 5 minutes I felt I was going to vomit).
I talk to the dealer and said no one as notice it!!!! Go figure!!!!
Wish Honda could replace the windshield without distortion, just like our 2007!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, I got it from Glass Pros, it was an OEM replacement though. Incase it matters, they said this windshield is too big to install at home, I had to bring the van in. Same company replaced the windshield on our other car in the driveway.
Which Glass Pros? Tampa? Clearwater?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Which Glass Pros? Tampa? Clearwater?
the one in Clearwater FL

5767 157th Ave N
Clearwater, FL 33760

About distortion, ya some is normal, all my cars and my parents cars have had some small degree of it, but the original windshield of the van was on the verge of giving me motion-sickness.

Good luck with a replacement, that was a huge relief when I got the new one and it didn't have the issue. (I can still see some distortion here and there, but it's really not bad and you don't notice it while driving)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2012 Touring. My wife never notices it because she sits lower, but the ripple is very noticeable to me.
The dealership is supposed to call me back when they get more replacement glass in stock.
They actually ran out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts