Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if the RES in the odyssey (my car is touring) can have input from USB device like an ipod or does it only take DVD source?

or has anyone tried loading media/videos other than the DVD player?

thanks guys! :tongue:

·
Registered
687 Posts
The USB input is strictly for playing music from an iPod, USB thumb drive or other compatible device. It is also used to update the Gracenote database and load wallpapers into the system. You can not input a video source to the USB and output to the RES.

Vanvirgin, just to clarify, you have the Touring and not the Touring Elite model, correct? Then you don't have the HDMI input but you do have RCA composite inputs. You can output any device including an iPod/iPhone/iPad as long as you have the correct cable and output that to the RES. For an iPod/iPhone/iPad, you'll need this cable:

Apple Composite AV Cable - Apple Store (U.S.)

;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hope this works, have you had any experience with this? should be consider as another input right?

And all media is controled via the ipod/ipad?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have played videos from my old Classic iPod using the above cable to the RES without any problems. The only negative is that the input plugs are all the way int he third row next to the 115V outlet.

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess there is no difference in hdmi or av as the screen is pretty crappy haha. Well it is a tad far but its good news that there's another choice to the DVD.

I will buy that apple one maybe. I read it's 6feet long gstom you think that might reach the front seat? Wonder why Honda put it there

Phil you use a 15 ft hdmi or your kids grown enougH to use the iPad

·
Registered
687 Posts
I guess there is no difference in hdmi or av as the screen is pretty crappy haha. Well it is a tad far but its good news that there's another choice to the DVD.

I will buy that apple one maybe. I read it's 6feet long gstom you think that might reach the front seat? Wonder why Honda put it there

Phil you use a 15 ft hdmi or your kids grown enougH to use the iPad
They put the A/V ports in the back to accomodate back seat passengers since technically they will be the ones viewing the video. It is not that usefull for the driver or front seat passenger.

What's really strange is that Touring Models with an HDMI port, they put that on the right side of the van while the power outlet, RCA A/V inputs and dual headphone jacks are on the left side.

Anyway, just get a an RCA composite cable extension and you'll be fine.

;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the radio in the touring version the same as in the EX? I went to the dealership part department and they dont have a diagram or picture of the back of the radio. Im trying to find out if the EX has the same radio as the EX-L or touring because I want to install the IPOD cable and mount it in front of the stereo stack area. From what I have seen on YOUTUBE.com the access to the stereo is quite a process to remove it from the center stack. I dont want to try to remove it if the stereo itself doesnot have the cable connection on the back known as cable area "C".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2005 EXL-RES and have tried, without success, to play videos from ipad via the rear RCA jacks (input set to AUX). I have the right ipad/rca cable - i have been able to play videos from ipad onto home TV without problems.
Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2005 EXL-RES and have tried, without success, to play videos from ipad via the rear RCA jacks (input set to AUX). I have the right ipad/rca cable - i have been able to play videos from ipad onto home TV without problems.
Yes! Patiently waiting an answer, as my kiddos want to watch videos off the iPhone and iPad

·
Registered
80 Posts
I seem to recall on my 08 that there were two aux settings. One was audio and one was video. The audio one is for the headphone jack at the front of the van, the video is for the RCA inputs in the back. I am sure you have already figured that out, but just in case. I used the RCA cables to my ipad and iphone on my 08 with no problems. I bought extender cables so that I could have the device sitting on the center console and control it from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 2014 ex-l with res. I'm having the same problems as previous above post trying to connect my device in the 3rd row. I notice that the ac power outlet is also not working. I try plugging an old alarm clock but no power. I did press the rear power button on the front system as the green light is lit. My dodge caravan has a separate button for the ac power outlet. Does Honda has this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes! Patiently waiting an answer, as my kiddos want to watch videos off the iPhone and iPad
I know this is an old thread, still replying in case this comes handy for others. I recently found out that the video output from the apple products equipped with the "lightning port" will be digital only, meaning there will be no analog conversion to support a video output via composite cable into the rear aux video inputs. In other words, that apple composite AV cable won't work as well. That cable works ONLY on the older 30 pin connector Apple devices (iphone 4/4s and older and original ipads) as they had an on-board digital to analog converter chip to facilitate this. You can however buy a digital to analog converter(usually a box needing power via usb to micro/mini-usb cables. Don't waste your money on cables with different heads on either side, e.g., hdmi-composte) with composite output and that will probably help you in your quest. Hope this helps someone :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Armed with Agnov's information...does anybody see potential in watching content from an iPad up front and in the RES at the same time? We own an iPad holder that we would use to watch movies on road trips in our other vehicle--just plug in the headphone jack and enjoy.

i would like to see if we got a digital-to-analog converter and snaked an RCA cable to the back if we could see the video on the iPad and RES screen at the same time. And taking that a step further...then be able to have kids on headphones in the back watching a DVD while we watch the iPad with front speakers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thought I would bring this thread back to life. Has anyone found an HDMI to RCA conversion box that they are happy with? Looking on Amazon shows countless options, many that are almost identical looking but with wildly different ratings. I'm looking to play videos off of an iPad Air with the Lightning connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I would bring this thread back to life. Has anyone found an HDMI to RCA conversion box that they are happy with? Looking on Amazon shows countless options, many that are almost identical looking but with wildly different ratings. I'm looking to play videos off of an iPad Air with the Lightning connector.
I just tried this box: Amazon.com: Tendak 1080P HDMI to AV 3RCA CVBS Composite Video Audio Converter Adapter Supporting PAL/NTSC with USB Charge Cable for PC Laptop Xbox PS3 TV STB VHS VCR Camera DVD: Electronics
ATV3 to HDMI to HDmI2AV to RCA composite to 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring RES Aux rear input
the Apple logo appears on a black screen for 5 seconds and then nothing - black screen
I am a bit frustrated, but not giving up
Any help or thoughts on why this must be would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 2006 with old school AV cable inputs. Got the following below works great.

AGPTEK 1080P Media Player Read USB drive/SD card with HD HDMI/AV/VGA Output for RMVB/ MKV /JPEG etc with Remote Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CCRYIN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tXRFDbHJEFGPQ

And a 128G thumb drive
Samsung MUF-128AB/AM FIT Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7PDLXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_01RFDbN4QVRXZ

Simply upload movies to USB then plug into media player. Then install power and AV cables in van. Select input as AV on media center remote, and DVD Aux on van.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts