Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steps to converting from the 2011-13 incandescent style tail lights to the 2014+ LED style:
1- Purchase the set of lights. I got mine from my company (LKQ). The part numbers for the lights are HO2802107 (LH inner), HO2803107 (RH inner), HO2804104 (LH outer), and HO2805104 (RH outer).
2- Purchase the 4 pigtails you will need. This is the hard part. Again I got mine from my company. I am not sure how Honda supplies them, but my guess is each quarter is a harness and the liftgate has a harness. If you call your local LKQ yard- they will probably sell you a set.....
3- Remove the quarter panel lights by unscrewing the two screws and pulling the housing directly rearward.
4- The turn signal plug is the same for all years so it can stay as is. The park/brake plug will need to be removed. I suggest leaving a little on the plug in case you want to reconnect it for some reason. It has three wires- Black (-), Red (park+), and purple (brake+)
5- The 14 pigtails you need will have a red wire and black wire on one and a green wire and black wire on the other. Connect the black wires to the black wire from the body side harness since it is the ground. The red wire goes to the red wire and the green can go to the purple. Make sure these are soldered well since if they short out you will lose your rear lighting.
Qtr wiring.jpg
6- I would suggest also rewrapping the harness with black electrical tape to add another layer of protection and make it look as OEM as possible.
7- Reinstall the housing plugging the plugs in as you go.
8- The liftgate lights are easier for wiring, but harder for the housings.
9- Remove the access panels (used for replacing the bulbs in the liftgate housings). There are two nuts holding the housing in behind that panel. You can get to them both if you have a decent universal joint and a deep well 8mm socket. The other two nuts are next to the weatherstripping. Once all four nuts are removed- pull the housing away starting on the outside and working your way towards the license plate lights. There is a retainer that is also in there, but it came free pretty easily.
10- The reverse light plugs will interchange so they don’t have to be swapped.
11- The parking light plugs will need to be swapped. It is simple. The wire colors match. Simply remove the old plug and reconnect the new one. Red wire goes to the park lights and the black wire is the ground.
Liftgate wiring.jpg
12- Reinstall the housings making sure to get the plastic retainer back in the hole without breaking it.
13- Enjoy the upgrade!

Difference between the 14+ liftgate light and the 11-13 quarterpanel lights:
Difference.jpg

Complete:
Complete.jpg

I also have a set of the 2014+ HID headlights that will be going in soon. I am planning on several upgrades for them beforehand though...:evil:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks great. I love those LED lights. You should do something about that chrome bar next to finish it off. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great. I love those LED lights. You should do something about that chrome bar next to finish it off. :)
Yeah. That's next. I am planning something different for it though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Excellent write-up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very nice conversion, I was wondering if anyone has added the TE rectangular LED integrated tail light as well.
Anyone has the part number for such LED integrated tail bar? I 've been looking at diagrams all over, but can't find it.. at least it's not listed with the tail lights on '14-'15 models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok everyone, I finally found the item and part number of the LED integrated rectangular tail light.

It is actually listed under TAILGATE (POWER) and called: GARNISH ASSY., RR. LICENSE. The part number is: 74890-TK8-A41
Dealer priced:$133.33. My Honda parts store has it for $96

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the garnish has lights in it does it? If so- I'm ordering it! I was planning on trying to make it tie the tail lights together, but a premade piece would be great.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't think it has lights either but tell me I'm wrong and I would be ordering it asap!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok everyone, I finally found the item and part number of the LED integrated rectangular tail light.

It is actually listed under TAILGATE (POWER) and called: GARNISH ASSY., RR. LICENSE. The part number is: 74890-TK8-A41
Dealer priced:$133.33. My Honda parts store has it for $96
Just installed that exact part today and I can confirm it does not have any lights or provisions for installing them but it does match the un-lit look of the 2014 LED tails perfectly! I took a picture of the back of it beside the chrome garnish I was replacing. Pictures:

Old chrome garnish is on the bottom of this picture and the new red one on top. Notice the new red one came with an extra button that I did not need to connect because my latch button is integrated with the backup camera in the center. Also there is a round black thing in the grey plastic on the right side of the new back of the new red garnish, that is a vent cover, being that there is a red "lens" with an air gap behind it for an effect that matches the tail lights. The air gap requires that a vent be present to allow condensation to evaporate and leave the lens, but as far as I can see there is no way to install LEDs and the "bars" than run through the tail lights are not present in the licence plate garnish bar so not sure how the LEDs would work:
IMG-20141010-00888.jpg

Still, it looks fantastic:

day time:
IMG-20141010-00891.jpg

night time:
IMG-20141010-00907.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
NarfBLAST, fantastic job, thanks for posting your opinion and pics. I can't wait to change the head/tail lights on my 2013. They look so much better. lol at your stig family sticker, nice!

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi there pjs97talon,
Can you please tell me exactly witch plugs and harness I'll need for the quarter panel ligths( I'm looking in bernardiparts).
I understood For the liftgate lights I need to change only one plug.(for the quarter ligth you have to change one plug + had a third plug?).
So if I read you right I'll need to cut the wires to reconnect the new plugs, correct?
I just want to be sure since there is some cutting + the lights are not cheap since i'm ordering from Canada!
Thank's in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I live in Canada and I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring that was also made wheelchair accessible by VMI. I would love to do the conversion you did to the 2014 taillights and I have some questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

When you switched the taillights and connected the 2014's with LED bars did you have to add a load equalizer (resistor) or was that not required.

I searched the U.S. LKQ website for the 4 taillight part numbers you quoted in your OdyClub post and there were no results listed. How were you able to find them?

You didn't mention any part numbers for the pigtails you needed for the conversion do you know what they are? If not, do you know where I could get my hands on the pigtails I would need?

I can get the taillight housings from my local Honda Dealership but no online Honda parts suppliers list the pigtails so they are the key to my being able to do the conversion.

Thanks Martin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only lights that are LED are the parking (running) lights. They don't require any kind of resistor in order to work correctly. You can contact the Keystone Automotive warehouse in Toronto and if they don't have those parts- they will be able to order them for you. I don't have the part numbers for the pigtails since they are not an inventoried item in our system. If you contact the LKQ yard close to you listed on the website- they should be able to find them for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
nice look on the upgrade! I'm thinking of doing something similar I would have to smoke the lens so it blends with the paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
pjs97talon. Right after you last pm replied in Mid November, I sent you at least two PMs but without reply. Wondering if you can reply back to me please-Need just a quick answer? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts