Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So I was searching around after getting our 2012 TE trying to order the Ambient Footwell Accessory. I found out it comes with the TE, but I just couldn't notice it. After looking at this thread (http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/138908-ambient-footwell-lighting-disappointment-11.html) I figure I'd tackle this myself and write up a little DIY for those who would like tho try it.

This was done on the passenger side, but it is the same for both sides.

Removed the passenger side panel (just pulled gently)

Twisted the LED out of the plastic (Drivers side is only attached by twisting, no panel to remove)

I took off the black plastic cap over the LED

I used a stepper drill bit, but in that other thread they used a 1/4th bit

comparison of the cap after the hole is drilled

reinstalled the LED in the panel.

It might be a little hard to tell from the pics of before and after but it's a 100% improvement over the OEM setup. I could really get any before/after pics because the before was NOTHING to see. It's not dark here yet, but the LEDs are hard to pick up on an iPhone. I have an Acura RL that has the blue ambient lighting and it's a good match to the Ody...

Hope this helps anyone trying to do this...

Nathan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice! Thanks for posting

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I want the footwell lighting in the rear seats as well but no ones figured out how to do it yet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do all TE's have these lights? I have not noticed any in mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does your drivers side seem brighter? I drilled the same way and size on both caps and it seems like the drivers side is brighter. Could it be that the position of the passenger side light is a little closer to the firewall? Or am i just crazy and imaging that one is brighter:dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the pics!!

Thanks NathanJax! The visuals really help. FYI... just got a 2016 EX-L w/Navi a few weeks ago... paid $154 for the interior illumination and they STILL have the same problem... barely visible. Your pics will make quick work of this quick fix. You're awesome for posting! Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does your drivers side seem brighter? I drilled the same way and size on both caps and it seems like the drivers side is brighter. Could it be that the position of the passenger side light is a little closer to the firewall? Or am i just crazy and imaging that one is brighter:dunno:
Mine are the same brightness on both sides. However, if your leg/foot is closer to the LED, it will seem brighter. I noticed it the other night and had to do a double take.

Thanks NathanJax! The visuals really help. FYI... just got a 2016 EX-L w/Navi a few weeks ago... paid $154 for the interior illumination and they STILL have the same problem... barely visible. Your pics will make quick work of this quick fix. You're awesome for posting! Thanks!
glad it helped!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine are the same brightness on both sides. However, if your leg/foot is closer to the LED, it will seem brighter. I noticed it the other night and had to do a double take.

glad it helped!
Boy did it help! Quite amazing the difference it made. Very quick mod, about 5 minutes and I was done. Made the purchase for the lighting worthwhile now, even if I did have to add my (your) tweak!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I knocked this out on my 2016 TE in about 10 minutes! It was so simple and mind boggling why Honda would design these lights with cover. Thanks for the walkthrough!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,220 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts