Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionally have a problem with our 2011 Touring model - the backup camera does not work, and the front and rear bumper sensors stop working - the display shows all 4 in red. Neither restarting the van nor turning the sensors on and off gets rid of the problem. From what I can tell it just goes away on it's own. I can't find any postings about anyone else having the same issue and of course the dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I was trying to describe it - told me "they need to see it to diagnose it" and of course I'm never close to the dealer when it happens! Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, is there a way to "reset" the backup system to get it to work again rather than just waiting for it to go away?

:huh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! I have a 2012 Touring.. ~1300miles on it and it happened to me this past weekend. Backup camera didn't work and front sensors were on full red.
Shut the car off when I went into a kid's bday party and when I came back out, it was normal again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How odd... We just experienced this on our 2012 TE today. We parked the van and let it sit for about an hour while at a pediatrician's office, then when we went to start it, we noticed the red front sensor icon on the center display and the backup camera wasn't working. We drove it for about 30 minutes, let it sit for another 30 minutes, then when we started it up, again, everything was fine.

I plan on taking the van in to the dealership within the next couple of weeks to get the A/T flushed. I'll mention it to the service manager, but I highly doubt they'll be able to do anything about it. At the very least I'm hoping that they'll document it.

I've worked on cars before and hunting down electrical gremlins is NEVER fun as they can appear and reappear out of the blue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That has happened to me twice. I have a 2011 Touring Elite. The first time it happened was three or four months ago, and all I did to make it go away was turn the van off and re-start it. The second time (this past Sunday), re-starting, or turning off the sensor and turning it back on didn't fix it. I was actually able to take a picture of it which I will share with the dealer when I take it in for service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 TE with the same issue. I turned on the car this morning and the backup camera wasn't working and the front sensors were full red. Restarting the vehicle did not fix the issue. After about 15 minutes of driving, I turned off the car, went into a building, and came back and all is well again. It is worth noting that during the time that this was happening both front sensors worked fine, as far as beeping and indicating in the display between the gauges. Does anyone have an update as to what might be the cause of this issue?

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Oh joy. Intermittent issues are a pain to get diagnosed. I normally tell people to take it in for warranty as you paid for the car and you should use the warranty but if it doesn't happen in front of the dealer they brush it off as "not able to duplicate" . I recommend taping the issue on video and presenting that as evidence for warranty work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 EX-L w/ RES. I've been having issues with my back-up camera. The screen goes dark, almost black and you can't see anything. the first time I took it to the dealer, they could not "duplicate the problem". The second time I took it to the dealer, I was lucky and the camera was almost all black again. The service guy sat in my passenger seat and messed with the brightness settings and said that he had never seen this before. I left my van there as he said that they would have to tear apart the dash to get to the camera to diagnose the camera and may have to tear apart the hatch as well to diagnose the camera. I was fine with that and left the car there and told them that I just wanted the car fixed. They called 5 hours later just to tell me, that there was grime on the camera and that they adjusted the brightness setting as far as they could and that it was working again. I could not believe this was the same guy who sat in my van earlier with me and had tried everything to get it to work and now he was telling me it was just dirt on the camera? Well, I told him that when it goes out again, I will bring it back, which I knew it would fail again. It seems to happen every other week. Guess what, it's broke again. This is the 3rd time... Hopefully it will still be acting up when I take it back later this morning...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I had this after a road trip. There were many bugs plastered to the FRONT sensors and after cleaning off the bugs the system went back to normal. It freaked me out as well as the rear camera was affected yet the issue was with the FRONT sensors. I think this is some failure mode where if the front sensors are damaged or unable to work properly (bug guts covering them) then it does this. Try to clean the sensors all around just to be safe and see if that does not fix the issue. I have not had it show up since but I am good about cleaning the sensors now. Even filling up with gas I inspect them. Only takes a second.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the first time, I also noticed this intermittent issue on my 2011 Touring. The rear camera was not working while reversing and the front sensors were indicating red on the navigation screen. After a 5 minute drive, I turned off the ignition and then restarted the car. The problem went away. Yes, I plan to explain the same to the dealer, but I'm not optimistic this will be resolved until a TSB is issued.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bumping an old thread. We have a 2013 Touring and have had this happen 4-5 times now. Once in very hot weather and several more times now since the temp has been below 10 degrees. Not sure if there is some sort of sensitivity to temperature? The backup camera does not work and the front two sensors show full red in the disply. Checked the front sensors and they did not seem very dirty? Cleaned them off just in case and wife said it happened again two days later.

I contacted the dealership and they would have to see it happen to help fix the issue. However, once you turn the car off and on again the problem does not exist. I feel it would be a waste of my time to take it to the dealership but do not want it to get worse. My luck it will completely break just when the warranty expires.

Has anyone been able to successfully diagnose and fix the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the first time, I also noticed this intermittent issue on my 2011 Touring. The rear camera was not working while reversing and the front sensors were indicating red on the navigation screen. After a 5 minute drive, I turned off the ignition and then restarted the car. The problem went away. Yes, I plan to explain the same to the dealer, but I'm not optimistic this will be resolved until a TSB is issued.
Finally, I took my van into the dealership as it will be out of warranty next month. Even though the issue has only occurred once, I at least wanted to see if they knew of a solution. After an hour wait, the service adviser said the technician reproduced the issue once and ordered a new display screen. I asked if they truly knew that a new display screen would resolve the issue (based on previous experience) but the service adviser did not know. Given that the issue has only occurred once and the uncertainty of a true fix, I'm a bit reluctant to let them proceed with the repair. I'd feel a lot better if someone else could confirm a fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This just happened to me yesterday. Same symptoms - sensors out, screen blank. Also restarted a couple times to no avail, then after an hour or so, was working fine.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm wondering if it's a software issue more than the hardware?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts