Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This continues to be an issue for me, my CEL and traction control light are on, van is running rough, this has happen to be 4 times over the past 3 months, I have changes the plugs twice and previously is the code read misfire in cylinder 2, so I replaced the coil. This last time, after the coil and plug change, it ran pretty good for about 2.5 weeks, but I felt like there was still something make it run a little off, but I could not put my finger on it. The lights turned on yesterday and it ran pretty rough at lower speeds and accelerating from a stop. However, I went to read the code and it says there is none, not sure how that could be, drives like a misfire, but not sure why no code when all the other times it did read a code. Any ideas out there.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
395 Posts
How many miles on the van? There is a reasonably high likelyhood that you have a piston ring issue on the rear cylinder bank due to the VCM system. There was a lawsuit about it, but I believe you are likely out of the free repair window...

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
What did the spark plugs look like when you changed them? If you have the VCM fouling problem, you should have seen some of them come out visibly black and carboned up. There is a very blatant example of this in the first post of this thread (not all of them are this bad):

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on the van? There is a reasonably high likelyhood that you have a piston ring issue on the rear cylinder bank due to the VCM system. There was a lawsuit about it, but I believe you are likely out of the free repair window...

-Charlie
I am at 200,000 km.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did the spark plugs look like when you changed them? If you have the VCM fouling problem, you should have seen some of them come out visibly black and carboned up. There is a very blatant example of this in the first post of this thread (not all of them are this bad):

The plugs looked nothing like that at all, just a little bit blackish at the gap.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The plugs looked nothing like that at all, just a little bit blackish at the gap.
You said you changed the plugs twice. These ones you're describing here that are just a bit blackish at the gap, how old are they? How many kilometres are on those?

It's definitely possible that VCM fouling has caught up with you. It's also possible that your new coil isn't up to snuff, even though it's new. Where did you buy it? Aftermarket coils (especially from eBay or Amazon) are known to be of widely variable quality.

The Check Engine and stability control lights are Honda's way of signalling that your engine is in limp mode. I think Honda has extra lights come on as a way of getting you to hit the panic button sooner and getting the van looked at quicker.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
395 Posts
The Check Engine and stability control lights are Honda's way of signalling that your engine is in limp mode. I think Honda has extra lights come on as a way of getting you to hit the panic button sooner and getting the van looked at quicker.
Basically all modern cars do similar things. Its like a Christmas tree on the dash for often simple engine/sensor problems...

-Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts