Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2011 Check Charging System- Anything other than alternator?

671 Views 21 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Steve1234
Wife has a 2011 EXL with 135K. The alternator died in April of 22 and I replaced with a remanufactured Denso unit. Also replaced the gaskets on the Vtec module that was leaking onto the alternator. All was well.

Today she said the Check Charging System warning came on again, started van and put a meter on it and it's reading 11.5 volts. The alternator has a 1 year warranty but I was wondering if there was anything else to check before I order a new one and yank this one out again. Appreciate any suggestions.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could it be the tensioner? I can press on the belt by hand and move it fairly easily. Gonna try to put a bar on it and put more tension while it's running to see if voltage picks up.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That didn't work, did notice the voltage started about 13.6 then dropped to 11.4 over about 2 mins. When I shut the van off the voltage increased to over 12. Guess I'll order a replacement unless anyone has another suggestion.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,290 Posts
Is the spool valve leaking again? Also make sure that you understand how the Honda charging system works. There is a low charge and a high charge mode, one that keeps the battery at ~14 volts, another that maintains it at ~12 volts.

Reactions: Loid

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the spool valve leaking again? Also make sure that you understand how the Honda charging system works. There is a low charge and a high charge mode, one that keeps the battery at ~14 volts, another that maintains it at ~12 volts.
Spool valve is not leaking again, first thing I checked.

I guess I don't know exactly how it works but it's getting low enough to throw the check charging system message, and that's with everything off inside the van.

· Registered
5,076 Posts
things are pointing to the alternator... although not common even reman denso's can go bad, have seen some posts on them.

whats the state of that battery now? did you test it / change it with the alternator when it blew?

always a good practice, so you're not working an alternator on a bad battery.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
things are pointing to the alternator... although not common even reman denso's can go bad, have seen some posts on them.

whats the state of that battery now? did you test it / change it with the alternator when it blew?

always a good practice, so you're not working an alternator on a bad battery.
I have it on the charger as we speak, I purchased on 11/23/20 so just over 2 years old.

I don't really feel confident that I could get it to an auto parts store to be checked, how can I check it at home?

· Registered
5,076 Posts
I don't think it's the battery, it reads 12.5-12.6V with the van off and it cranks quickly with no hesitation.
The alternator has a 1 year guarantee so at least it won't cost anything but my time.
a decent load test doesn't hurt, many of the battery testers are not analyzers and do not place an adequate load on the battery, they measure voltage and internal resistance which helps identify some issues but not all.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I did a crude test with the meter while starting and using the min/max on the meter, 12.6 before starting an 10.22 was the minimum while starting. From what I'm reading that indicates the battery is ok?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

· Registered
915 Posts
I picked up a Solar BA7 tester years ago.
Will test your battery
Will test your charging system
Below is. BA9
Lot of good you tubes on how this tester works
View attachment 172885
Those are awesome.
Great to check your electrical and charging systems.

Reactions: v4forever

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It came from Amazon, it has a Denso sticker that says Remanufactured in the USA.

It's oily again, not sure where it's from because the spool valve is dry, could be just residual, maybe a valve cover?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Gotta vent a little, this van has been pretty disappointing since we've had it. Oil leaks, motor mount, cv axel, I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting. Not to mention having to disable VCM. A modern vehicle that hauls the wife and kids should be dead nuts reliable and this one just isn't. Not sure if the next one will be a Honda.

Rant over.

· Registered
915 Posts
Gotta vent a little, this van has been pretty disappointing since we've had it. Oil leaks, motor mount, cv axel, I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting. Not to mention having to disable VCM. A modern vehicle that hauls the wife and kids should be dead nuts reliable and this one just isn't. Not sure if the next one will be a Honda.

Rant over.
Honestly - I feel the same way.
I was really thrown back when all of these issues cropped up so quickly on a relatively young vehicle.
All of which are common failure points across this and other generations.
Honestly - I will not be buying another modern honda -
They are not built to last anymore - just to pad dealers with parts replacements and piston ring jobs - 7k a van really adds up.

Reactions: Loid

· Registered
915 Posts

Rant over.
Honestly - I feel the same way.
I was really thrown back when all of these issues cropped up so quickly on a relatively young vehicle.
All of which are common failure points across this and other generations.
Honestly - I will not be buying another modern honda -
They are not built to last anymore - just to pad dealers with parts replacements and piston ring jobs - 7k a van really adds up.

· Registered
131 Posts
I will be the Captain Obvious of the day.

1. Have you checked the battery terminal? There might be corrosion building with underneath that you may not see. You can clean up with baking soda and little bit of water.

2. Also those terminal bolts seem to worn out in my case. It did not 'latch' tight enough so it wasn't making full contact. I had to put a battery terminal cap and then tighten it up.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to update, got the new one in, 14 4V while running. The new one actually came with a tag that said the warranty could be void if it's contaminated with oil. I guess this is so common that they're seeing a pattern with warranty claims.
Hopefully mine will be warrantied, going to send it back tomorrow bit I wouldn't be surprised if i have to eat it. Now to try and track down another oil leak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts