Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 7 week old Ody EX-L/Nav. For the past two weeks I can be driving along and the A/C suddenly comes on on its own without any buttons being pushed. The A/C switch is OFF. The A/C will cycle OFF and ON randomly. A few times hot air suddenly comes poring out of the vents, even after I turn the thermostat down to LO. And at other times the Climate Control performs normally. Dealer is stumped. Anyone else experience this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This automatic climate control is new to me and it's been taking some getting used to.

Is the climate control in "Auto" mode, i.e. does it say "Auto" on the climate display? When in Auto mode, the system can select defrost automatically under certain conditions, which will cycle the A/C on and off. Then, if conditions change, the system can change from defrost to some other vent mode, causing A/C not to turn on. It is common to use A/C for defrost as well as actual A/C. Note that the system does have a humidity sensor, so it could very well be selecting defrost and turning on A/C in order to keep the windows from fogging up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The system is not in Auto Mode. The A/C is not turned on and the display reads "A/C OFF", yet the A/C still cycles off and on. I thought about the humidity sensor but figured that would only be active if the sytem were in Auto Mode. Also that wouldn't explain why I've gotten blasts of hot air on a hot day with the thermostat turned way down.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here's a couple snippets from the owner's manual, near page 226:

- The system automatically selects the proper mix of conditioned and/or heated air that will, as quickly as possible, raise or lower the interior temperature to your preference. The system also dehumidifies the interior.

- When you set the temperature to its lower limit ( Lo ) or its upper limit ( Hi ), the system runs at full cooling or heating only. It does not regulate the interior temperature.

Totally not sure if this stuff is related to your problem, just trying to get more information out there. It is unclear from the wording whether the dehumidify feature is only on when in Auto mode or not, but I'm guessing the A/C is used for dehumidifing.

OOOHH! I also just remembered that the Cool Box uses the A/C. Is the Cool Box on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for continuing to research this problem. I assume the humidity sensor would only be activated when the A/C is ON or in Auto Mode. I've checked the cooling box. It is OFF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the car to the dealer. We test drove the only other 2011 EX-L he had and it exhibited the same problem as mine: A/C comes on even though the A/C switch is OFF and the system is NOT in Auto Mode. I'm surprised no one else has noticed this. Dealer is having the Honda rep. come in to check it out.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I took the car to the dealer. We test drove the only other 2011 EX-L he had and it exhibited the same problem as mine: A/C comes on even though the A/C switch is OFF and the system is NOT in Auto Mode. I'm surprised no one else has noticed this. Dealer is having the Honda rep. come in to check it out.
I think more details are needed on your issue because is getting a bit confusing. "A/C" is just a feature of the whole car's HVAC (Heating, Ventilating, and A/C) system so having the A/C ON or OFF does not mean that the HVAC system is ON or OFF. You can manually turn the A/C OFF (by pressing the A/C button, and that will be indicated in the display as "A/C OFF") and still have the HVAC system working blowing cold or hot air (i.e. you may hear the fan working).

Now, if you press the whole system's "ON/OFF" button to shut it down (the one to the lower left corner with a little fan image, not the "A/C" button to the lower right) and the display is completely off (i.e. no blue back light and nothing is displayed like the temp setup numbers) but still the HVAC switches-on on its own, then yes, your car has a problem ;)

Anyway, report back any findings if you don't mind!

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
A stupid question. How do you know the A/C is cycling on/off? Does the display change from A/C OFF to nothing and then back to A/C OFF?

·
Registered
288 Posts
A stupid question. How do you know the A/C is cycling on/off? Does the display change from A/C OFF to nothing and then back to A/C OFF?
I hear the A/C cycling in the front of the car and hear the fan run.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd still like to help if I can.

What is the front fan speed set to?
What is the rear fan speed set to?
Driver temperature?
Passenger temperature?
Rear temperature?
Front vent mode?
Rear vent mode?
What all is being displayed on the front display?
What all is being displayed on the rear display?
What is the outside temperature?

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
I hear the A/C cycling in the front of the car and hear the fan run.
I am not sure if you have the problem too Lori or not but what I was asking is since the OP is saying the A/C is OFF in the climate control system but is cycling on and off, how do they know that? If you're only going by the fan noises, well, the fans do turn on even if the A/C is off. So, I am trying to decipher how exactly are they figuring out that the A/C is on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will describe a typical situation when the problem occurs:

HVAC sytem ON/OFF switch is ON.
Sytem is NOT in Auto Mode.
AC switch is OFF and display shows "AC OFF".
Temps are set at 68 degrees.
Mode is set for upper vents.
Outside temp is 74 degrees.
Rear system is OFF'
Fan is set to low speed

I can be driving along with outside (warm) air flowing through the vents. Suddenly, without me touching anything, the AC comes on and the air begins flowing cold. The display still reads "AC OFF". I know the AC is ON because I have a temperature probe in the vent and it drops from 74 degrees to about 48 degrees. I also can hear the compressor cycle on and off. On one occasion the Honda service manager was in the car and he agreed the sytem is not working properly. We noted this on my 2011 EX-L with NAV and the dealer's EX-L without NAV. A Honda rep is supposed to come to the dealership to check this out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is definitely not what happens in my van. I hope you get the problem figured out soon!

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts

Rear system is OFF'
Fan is set to low speed

I can be driving along with outside (warm) air flowing through the vents. Suddenly, without me touching anything, the AC comes on and the air begins flowing cold. The display still reads "AC OFF". I know the AC is ON because I have a temperature probe in the vent and it drops from 74 degrees to about 48 degrees. I also can hear the compressor cycle on and off. On one occasion the Honda service manager was in the car and he agreed the sytem is not working properly. We noted this on my 2011 EX-L with NAV and the dealer's EX-L without NAV. A Honda rep is supposed to come to the dealership to check this out.
Hmm. That is a problem. Must be a bug or something in the climate control if you saw it happen to another one too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had the same experience as the OP.

Here was my situation.

38dg, Constant rain.

Whole family went to the market. On the way, we had the heater going with AC/OFF and everything seem to be normal.

On the way back from market to Costco, had the heater going with AC/OFF and noticed the windows fogging up. I turned on the front defogger and the AC/OFF disappeared and the ac kicked in which is normal.

Now at Costco, the kids were watching video so had the van on idle, and turned off the front defogger and turned off the ac so the AC/OFF was showing again, but the AC did NOT shut off and kept cycling.

Turned off the whole HVAC and turned it back on, but the AC kept cycling even with AC/OFF showing.

Finally turned the car off and sat there for a while while my wife shopped in Costco.

She came out and I started the car up again and didn't think of anything but on the way home, the AC/OFF was showing and it started to fog up again which meant that the AC was actually off.

Go figure. I think when you turn on the AC for any reason, it gets stuck on no matter what you do after that and the only way to reset is to turn the whole car off and on again.

Just my observance and opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We generally keep the rear AC off on our EX-L, however, sometimes it turns on automatically when restarting the vehicle. We leave front AC on Auto mode. Comments?

·
Registered
53 Posts
No idea if this is the issue, but since someone previously quoted the manual stating that the system dehumidifies... I know dehumidifiers can use a cooling system to cause warm, moist air to condensate, and thus be disposed of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2011 Ody Climate Control system

Your experience is similar to mine except that my AC will come on even though I never turned it on on that particular trip. You may want to keep checking it because sometimes mine will go days without acting up, and then it will turn on with no input from me. My dealer has installed a new computer and new AC control panel but the problem persists.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Are the guys with the issue driving under direct sunlight? Is the navigation on?

I just read this, I wouldn't be surprised if it's related ;)

Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control System with Humidity Control and Air Filtration

On models equipped with navigation, the system uses data from the onboard global positioning system receiver to automatically adjust fan speed to compensate for heating from direct sunlight

Honda Media Newsroom - Odyssey - 2011 Honda Odyssey: Interior

·
Registered
196 Posts

Rear system is OFF'
Fan is set to low speed

Not sure if this would help, but hearing the condenser come on sitting in the dealer lot (about to drive home with my new EX-L) and noticing the A/C was turned off was a bit disconcerting.

Though, the fine print in the owner's manual seems to shed some light. Turning "Auto" climate control on enables the vehicle computer to control the temperature, using the A/C unit and heat in order to do so. And, on page 228, middle column, under "Semi-automatic Operation" seems to indicate that once "Auto" has been selected, you can select various functions of the climate control system—including adjusting fan speeds, etc. But when you do, while the word "Auto" on the display goes out, it still remains in Auto mode. So, even though the display seems to say you're no longer in Auto mode, you actually still are...which means A/C and/or heat is still being utilized/controlled by the vehicle to help maintain the temperature you've set.

This piece of instruction made me think: are you kidding me?!?!?! I really like my Odyssey, but come on Honda engineers, you couldn't do better?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts