Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2011 model coin holder must go down in history as one of the most useless pieces of equipment ever to be included in any vehicle. What were the designers thinking? The ridges at the bottom do absolutely nothing to keep any coin, regardless of size, stationary. It is just a pocket that—in my EX-L—sits empty for now.

That being said, has any intrepid Odyssey 2011 owner come up with a way to make use of this thing (hopefully, for coins)?

·
Banned
728 Posts
I don't know about that. I've got several coins in mine and they don't make noise and are there when I need them. Maybe you drive on rougher roads. :(

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't know about that. I've got several coins in mine and they don't make noise and are there when I need them. Maybe you drive on rougher roads. :(
Same here. It's not the greatest but it works.

;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
The 2011 model coin holder must go down in history as one of the most useless pieces of equipment ever to be included in any vehicle. What were the designers thinking? The ridges at the bottom do absolutely nothing to keep any coin, regardless of size, stationary. It is just a pocket that—in my EX-L—sits empty for now.

That being said, has any intrepid Odyssey 2011 owner come up with a way to make use of this thing (hopefully, for coins)?

Agreed, my '02 had the coin slots as part of the pull out cup holder. Organized and easy to reach. In the 2011, it's worthless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too was getting coin rattle when using the little coin drawer. I had some adhesive backed felt I previously picked up from Walmart. I cut a little rectangle shaped section and stuck in in the coin drawer. Now its totally silent. I keep change and my mail box key in there.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I too was getting coin rattle when using the little coin drawer. I had some adhesive backed felt I previously picked up from Walmart. I cut a little rectangle shaped section and stuck in in the coin drawer. Now its totally silent. I keep change and my mail box key in there.
Oh, I didn't realize the the coin holder on lower trims is bare plastic!?! On the Touring models, we actually get a felt lined coin holder.

:tongue:

·
Registered
739 Posts
@gstom- I have an elite and its not lined. bare plastic. Are you just playin around??
It's Canadian.

Go to Amazon and type in cup holder coin and find your solution, these are awesome because you can pick them up and manipulate them when it's time to get change out, even bring it into the store with you...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sorry guys, I got the coin drawer in my two cars mixed up. The coin drawer in my Odyssey is also bare plastic while the one in my other car is lined with a foam.

Here in Canada we use a lot more coins and some of the coins are physically larger in size ($1, $2) so I don't think they jingle as much as if the drawer was filled with just quarters, dime and nickels. Canadian coins are also made of much lighter metals than US coins. I have filled the coin drawer will a mix of coins and never noticed any noise.

:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coin holder on 2011 EX-L

So here’s the image of the coin holder in my EX-L. Sorry for the really bad low-light image. Plastic, small 2-3mm deep trenches for the coins. No coin I put in there will stay in place. This is just a box. I know, in the grand scheme of things, I’m nitpicking here, but seriously...a $30K-$40K vehicle should have better coin holders than this box.

My original post was to ask if anyone’s managed to do anything with this to actually make it more of a coin holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
I know, in the grand scheme of things, I’m nitpicking here, but seriously...a $30K-$40K vehicle should have better coin holders than this box.QUOTE]

You're right. For a $40K+ car, I think the fit and finish in some areas could have been improved. Also, I think a lot more things should have been included instead of making them aftermarket accessories.

Oh well, in spite of this, we all love our vans!

;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like 2008 Odyssey's coin holder better. We just traded our 2008 to 2011 over the weekend. We are stll getting use to the differences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just two complaints about the 2011!

First, I am an Odyssey freek... I kept my 2001 (without any tranny problems until 2010 -- 176K)... She started to give me some electrical problems. I bought the EX-L 2010... cool car... NO COMPLAINTS.

In January I bought a 2011 EX-L RES! I fell in LOVE!

This week, I just traded in the 2010 on a 2011 Touring.
Now I have two 2011's!

Two complaints that drive me nuts!
One: the change tray. WHY DID THEY TAKE IT OUT? It would fit! I just don't understand. The little pull-out-thingy is not a change tray!
Two: the center tray/compartment goes all the way to the floor. If I am in the seat in the second row to sleep while someone relieves me, I can't stretch out my legs (6'4")... it really bugs me.
Love my new cars. I love the style. Peace!

·
Registered
316 Posts
1) I never put coins in there, so I don't really care.

2) The ridges aren't to hold coins. They're there so you can scoot your fingers underneath what you're trying to fish out (coin, etc...). Have you ever had a hard time trying to pick up a coin from a flat surface? Sometimes it can be rather difficult.

3) If I ever have loose change that I need somewhere quick and convenient to put, I use the grab handle part of the door's armrest. Makes a much better "coin tray."

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honda OEM coin-holder

Or, you can just be done with it and get this.
Ah! Thanks! That's the type of coin holder on our BMW 525...from 2002!!!!! Let me tell you, it is very useful, and I think that's why I've been spoiled by it. You'd think someone would put something similar in a $40K minivan almost 10 years later, right?

Does anyone have this? Does it fit the 2011 Odyssey?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Geez, Toyota gave me one for free when I bought my Tundra. Also, already mounted.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, ya got me. I have a 2011 EX-L RES, and I honestly did not know I even HAD a coin holder. I'm in my office, and now wanting to go down to the parking garage to look for it! Obviously, I haven't had time to look through my owner's manual yet...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts