Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my windshield on my 2011 odyssey just cracked unexpectedly. Is anyone else having this problem? I read Honda had problems on other models.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here. Initially, it looked like an impact from a rock (star shaped). But when a guy came to fix it, he could not feel an impact pit on the outside or inside of the glass. He tried to fix it, but it ended up developing a crack. Now that crack is over 6 inches long and I'm looking into replacing it...

Did your start as a crack or a star shaped pit? The location is about an inch above the bottom of the glass on the passenger side.

·
Registered
170 Posts
sudden extreme temperature changes in your areas?

typically glass doesn't have a large enough coefficient of thermal expansion to crack, but if there's a manufacturing flaw in the windshield, and a large enough sudden change in temperature, it's possible to have a windshield begin forming cracks.

or if there's a large number of temperature cycles (going from extreme hot to extreme cold and back) in a short period of time, it can happen.

I know older accords had that issue, mainly due to inferior glass and temperature changes.. but we're talking late 80's early 90's.

·
Registered
755 Posts
if you dont feel anything on that spot, meaning like no feeling of any impact pit like

the other member stated, then i would take it in

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ours cracked too but we have a minuscule rock chip right on the edge of the window. The size of the tip of the needle. Windshields are very prone to cracking when hit there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe it is just bad luck, but I have owned my 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES for just over two month and have already had to repair 2 separate rock chips in the windshield. I’m driving this vehicle no more than the previous vehicle, a 2008 Nissan Altima. However; after 40K miles on the Altima and at 3 years of ownership, I had no damage to the windshield.

Were rock chips and broken windshields common on the older Odysseys? I am beginning to wonder about the quality of these windshields.

What is the physical difference between the windshields on an EX-L vs. the “acoustic” windshields on the Touring and Touring Elite?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally we had to get the windshiel replaced, according to dealer it was a microchip in the black edge of the windshield. it made a crak at about eye level on the drivers side. I still think its caused by windshield being too thin. I have never seen a microchip break my windshield before. But benefit of the doubt. There is still insufficient data to prove thin windshild.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue here. Initially, it looked like an impact from a rock (star shaped). But when a guy came to fix it, he could not feel an impact pit on the outside or inside of the glass. He tried to fix it, but it ended up developing a crack. Now that crack is over 6 inches long and I'm looking into replacing it...

Did your start as a crack or a star shaped pit? The location is about an inch above the bottom of the glass on the passenger side.
The windshield on our Elite cracked in the same place about a week after we purchased it. We had it replaced at the dealer and were told that all 2011's had the same windshield. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
All i can say is that on my Acura TL-S, i had to replace my first windshield on it when it had 500miles, and again when it had 2500 miles. Luckly, I'm at 24,000 miles with it now and the windshield is still ok. both times they were very small chips right on the black edge of the windshield. The window replacement people (not honda, glass pros or something like that) said that if something hits the edge like that it'll crack, that's just how it is.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The windshield on our Elite cracked in the same place about a week after we purchased it. We had it replaced at the dealer and were told that all 2011's had the same windshield. Does anyone know if this is true?
negative.

US Touring and Touring elite models get an acoustically insulated windshield.

all other models get a standard laminated safety glass.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have had the van 2.5 months. Driving on the highway at around 110 km/h (70 mp/h), a piece of glass hit the lower passenger side of the acoustic windshield causing a noticeable chip.

The auto glass place said it could not be permanently repaired and I ended up getting it temporarily patched for around $75. It's good for about two years, but I will probably have the windshield replaced within the year.

Just one of those "pain in the asses" of auto ownership. :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Honda Odyssey windshield issue.

Hi, my windshield on my 2011 odyssey just cracked unexpectedly. Is anyone else having this problem? I read Honda had problems on other models.
Thanks
Yes, we do have the same problem with our 2011 Honda Odyssey, the windshielf cracked all by itself unexpectedly. No signs of rock hit or dent. We need to get the message up to the Honda Headquaters to have their attention. We should have the warrantyand get it fix by the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Our Elite got a chip on the lower half of the passenger side windshield within 10 days of ownership from a pebble shot from the car in front of us at about 30MPH. My wife was very disappointed. :(

Safelite came and filled the chip. Two months later the top coating (the plastic seal) from the filled spot came off with the use of the vipers. Safelite was nice enough to do a courtesy replacement of the seal, but said it is the last time. They said the next time, the would have to replace the entire windshield. What?!?! And they said all 2011 Odyssey's use the same windshield. I think they want to replace it with a lower quality windshield (that serves the purpose only, blocks the wind and not acoustically insulating).

I agree ... Honda corporate should be notified about this. Seems like a design flaw in the glass design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
windshield cracked

well, my 2011 oddysey had a cracked now (star shaped) after a strong rain last week. i dont remember hitting a stone from somewhere. does warranty cover this? i still have 3400 miles on it.?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bah, my Touring Elite windshield busted too, with a bang, 60 hours after driving it off the lot. I'll post a macro picture of the center of the cracks; maybe somebody can shed some light on whether it was a rock or not.

The cracks are steadily propagating, even when the car is left overnight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Attached is crack on my Touring Elite windshield.

From the above postings, here is a summary of crack locations for everybody who stated the locations:

Location of my crack...........passenger side, near bottom
Location of mraviator's crack:.passenger side, near bottom
Location of Goc3's crack:......passenger side, near bottom
Location of teamTMS:...........passenger side, lower half. (states pebble as the cause).

Is there a pattern emerging?

Has anyone been successful getting this repaired under warranty?
If not, what is replacement cost?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Attached is crack on my Touring Elite windshield.

From the above postings, here is a summary of crack locations for everybody who stated the locations:

Location of my crack...........passenger side, near bottom
Location of mraviator's crack:.passenger side, near bottom
Location of Goc3's crack:......passenger side, near bottom
Location of teamTMS:...........passenger side, lower half. (states pebble as the cause).

Is there a pattern emerging?

Has anyone been successful getting this repaired under warranty?
If not, what is replacement cost?
I doubt you will get a warranty replacement on this one. It clearly looks like something hit it. Usually, when the glass breaks without anything hitting it, you do NOT get a star shape with cracks starting from there. You normally only get that when a rock or something else hits the windshield.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We've had a small stone chip within weeks of getting the van and just went to local glass repair. Seems fine here after 2 months.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our 2006 Ody got a crack running up from the bottom near the driver's side. No evidence of a rock hitting it. I assume that's where most of the a/c flow hits and is more prone to temperature cycling.

This happend about a year ago and the repair is still invisible.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts