Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2011 Odyssey at the end of December. So far, I am in love with it... except for one strange issue.

A few weeks ago, I left my house and saw that one of the sliding doors was wide open. The last person to drive the car was my boyfriend, so naturally I blamed him ;)

Then on Monday, I was at the grocery store and when I came back to the parking lot the trunk and driver's side sliding door were wide open. I hadn't opened either all day, so I really don't think it could have been me just being forgetful. I also remember clicking the lock button on the keyfob until it beeped before I walked into the store for my own piece of mind.

I brought it into the dealer this morning and the first thing they asked was could the keyfob have gotten bumped. I suppose when I went into the store- but how far can that signal actually reach? And when it was parked in my driveway my keys were hanging on my hook by the door, so I don't think them being bumped was possible.

They took the car in and couldn't find any reason for it, and sent me on my way.

Has anyone else experienced this? What solution did you find?

Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I haven't seen this happen. Here's a suggestion, though. According to Page 151 of the Owner's Manual:

If the power sliding door MAIN switch on the dashboard is in the OFF position, you cannot open or close the sliding doors with the remote transmitter.

You could try turning off the main switch on the dashboard above the sliding door buttons and see if your problem goes away.

Another is to start using the valet key for a while and see if the problem goes away.

You could also try changing the behavior of the remote transmitter by following the instructions on Page 165 (tailgate), and Page 171 (sliding doors) of the Owner's Manual.

Just somewhere to start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes! On several occasions I have been greeted with an open side door on returning to the vehicle, and at one point had collected a fair amount of snow in there!
For myself though, I chalked up to a very sensitive key fob, combined with the default setting to have the side doors open from the remote even from a locked state.

You could also try changing the behavior of the remote transmitter by following the instructions on Page 165 (tailgate), and Page 171 (sliding doors) of the Owner's Manual.
This fixed it; I changed the behavior to only open when unlocked and haven't had any more accidents

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a 2011 Odyssey at the end of December. So far, I am in love with it... except for one strange issue.

A few weeks ago, I left my house and saw that one of the sliding doors was wide open. The last person to drive the car was my boyfriend, so naturally I blamed him ;)

Then on Monday, I was at the grocery store and when I came back to the parking lot the trunk and driver's side sliding door were wide open. I hadn't opened either all day, so I really don't think it could have been me just being forgetful. I also remember clicking the lock button on the keyfob until it beeped before I walked into the store for my own piece of mind.

I brought it into the dealer this morning and the first thing they asked was could the keyfob have gotten bumped. I suppose when I went into the store- but how far can that signal actually reach? And when it was parked in my driveway my keys were hanging on my hook by the door, so I don't think them being bumped was possible.

They took the car in and couldn't find any reason for it, and sent me on my way.

Has anyone else experienced this? What solution did you find?

Thanks!

Hi I am just curious if you ever found out the cause of this. This has startd happening on our van. I am almost certain it isn't the keyfob because when I got home in my car the van was parked with all of the doors closed. The keys were left untouched in our house. I then went outside and found one of the sliding doors open. The first few times it happened I chalked it up the key fob, but this time I can't belive it was that. We have a lot of honda/acura on our street. Could it be that some transmitters are on the same frequency?

·
Registered
632 Posts
start using the valet key and turn off remote sliding door switch on the van. It will relieve the problem. Or better get an LX.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The Honda keyfob is very sensitive. Even in your pocket or purse, you can accidentally open the sliding doors or tailgate.

As hasenpfeffer and protospam have already mentioned, change the behavior of your keyfob to make sure that is not the issue. See page 171 in the owner's manual on how to do that.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/K81111/K81111OM.pdf

If that doesn't work, I would take it in to the dealer and have them look at it. Maybe they can reprogram the frequency for you.

:)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, this happened to me, power tailgate up in the rain, 100 feet from an inside stage where I used the key for part of a demonstration. Took an hour to figure out how it happened.

One safeguard, can program that doors only open if unlocked. I kept the regular program, open = unlock & open, now that I know about it, am more careful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone managed to change the setting for the sliding doors successfully? I want to be able to remote open them only when they've been unlocked. I've tried following the directions in the manual (2012) to no avail. If sliding doors are enabled, I just sit there opening and closing the doors but nothing happens. If sliding doors are disabled, then REALLY nothing happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We were having this happen on our 2012, despite my wife's protests, I'm 99% sure it was errant presses and not some mysterious problem as I witnessed my wife press it accidentally (I noticed her do it, she didn't) on more than one occasion. I changed the behavior for the doors and lift gate to only open when unlocked and for the unlock button to work all the doors with a single press.

I was at first baffled by the door process until I saw the blurb about locking the doors and turning off the sliding door main switch (I was just opening and closing the door a lot). You just press and hold the drive side sliding door close button next to the steering wheel, and while holding press and hold the same button on the remote. The tiny red led on the remote will blink once after about 2 seconds, then you release the remote button followed by the button in the car. You have to do this button combo work 4 times in 20 seconds and after you release the interior button the 4th and final time, you are rewarded with some beeps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts