Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,
I need an advice: my van started making noise described in TSB 13-016 - when parked and have AC running. There is also a mild leak from PS pump (replacing O-rings on intake and high pressure hose connections did not help). I have decided to buy an OEM remanufactured PS pump from on-line seller and replace it myself. Do I need to replace a front PS pump bracket as well, as described in the above mentioned service bulletin? Are the remanufactures PS pumps (06561-RV0-315RM ) coming with slots for 2 or 3 bolts? Does anyone have experience with this?
Thank you!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Aftermarket power steering pumps (especially remans) are a gamble and not worth replacing the factory pump that may be still good. I was close to installing a reman pump on my 2000 4Runner but then acted quick and rebuilt the OEM pump with new seals from Gates and see if that would do something which nothing happened - the outcome was just renewed seals (I had no leaks but what the heck, why not). Turns out it was just the reservoir screen blocked of crap which was starving the pump + the old transmission fluid being very outdated. The PSP flush and clean reservoir stopped the pump from whining. Been good ever since.

I ended up returning the reman pump right after that. Before installing a new pump, you should probably rebuild the original pump and see if the leaking stops. Amazon sells rebuild kits with new o-rings/gaskets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why? change the pump, flush the fluid, replace the reservoir, replace the belt if its due.
The factory installed PS pump is mounted with two bolts and the TSB drawings show that the new pump is mounted with three. It seems that replacement front bracket is there to facilitate the additional bolt. I just don’t know if the remanufactured Honda pumps are mounted with 2 or 3 bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aftermarket power steering pumps (especially remans) are a gamble and not worth replacing the factory pump that may be still good. I was close to installing a reman pump on my 2000 4Runner but then acted quick and rebuilt the OEM pump with new seals from Gates and see if that would do something which nothing happened - the outcome was just renewed seals (I had no leaks but what the heck, why not). Turns out it was just the reservoir screen blocked of crap which was starving the pump + the old transmission fluid being very outdated. The PSP flush and clean reservoir stopped the pump from whining. Been good ever since.

I ended up returning the reman pump right after that. Before installing a new pump, you should probably rebuild the original pump and see if the leaking stops. Amazon sells rebuild kits with new o-rings/gaskets.
Thank you for this idea. I need to look at YouTube videos on how to rebuild the pump and see if this is something I can do myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an update. After doing some research and watching YouTube videos I decided to by a new Honda PS pump and just to replace it. I also purchased a new PS fluid reservoir, hose that connects it to the PS pump, new from bracket for PS pump and an extra bolt for PS attachment. As I suspected the new PS pumps are mounted with 3 bolts as opposed to the original pump. Hence the need for a new front bracket that facilitates third bolt. I have attached the images to compare. I followed the procedure instructions on TSB 13-016 bulletin. I have replaced the PS fluid first (suction- refill fluid from reservoir method x3) prior to PS pump change. All in all took me about 2 hours. First time and no rush. Now - no noise, no leaking. Did this about 3 weeks ago.
Crosscut saw Wood Tool Automotive exterior Bumper

Road surface Asphalt Floor Flooring Gas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To me it seems like you got the Pilot/Ridgeline 2012-2015 Power steering pump.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply!
The part number is 06561-RV0-315RM.
I have e-mailed the on-line place that sells Honda OEM parts (not sure if we are allowed to name them here) and provided them with VIN for my van. This is the part they found by VIN. I understand this is a remanufactured part. Much cheaper than new one. It has been close to 2 months since I have installed it. No noise, no leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts