Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...just got our EX-L with Nav and a bunch of accessories. We basically have a touring without the RES (which is what we wanted.) My kids can watch a movie if they want on their ipod. Much better than spending $3K on a DVD system.

Anyway...a big selling point, or so I thought, was the FM traffic feature. I have this on my Garmin and Tom Tom. I thought the system would be dynamic...meaning it would actively re-route you around traffic if it was faster. Again...that is what Garmin and Tom Tom does. But...that doesn't appear to be the case.

It lists traffic (big deal) and shows it, but doesn't do anything with it.

Frustrated.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I guess Honda figured it's the driver who actually avoids the traffic, not the nav.

:DD:DD

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Nav system does have a detour option that you can select while driving toward a selected destination; it isn't automatic. We tried it while stuck in some construction traffic and it did a good job of getting onto a side road that ran parallel with the interstate. We could see the traffic not moving while we were merrily going on our way.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Also, no time of arrival which is missed from Tom Tom and other portable units and no speed limits like Tom Tom shows...

·
Registered
427 Posts
So...just got our EX-L with Nav and a bunch of accessories. We basically have a touring without the RES (which is what we wanted.) My kids can watch a movie if they want on their ipod. Much better than spending $3K on a DVD system.

No, you don't have a touring, you don't have the 6spd automatic (and other features) of the touring which to me makes a diff. But others may not care as much. The DVD system is not $3k, it's a $1,600 option on the EXL (std on the touring), still pricey, but worth it to some. In comparison the Navigation is a $2,000 option on the EXL. It could be said that a portable GPS for $200 is much better than spending $2k on navigation system...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The Nav system does have a detour option that you can select while driving toward a selected destination; it isn't automatic. We tried it while stuck in some construction traffic and it did a good job of getting onto a side road that ran parallel with the interstate. We could see the traffic not moving while we were merrily going on our way.
Detour
Calculates a detour route for you if you encounter an unexpected obstacle such as a closed road or extremely heavy traffic congestion. If a detour is selected, the system will attempt to recalculate a new route, avoiding the next 5 miles (while on a freeway) or 1 mile (while on a surface street).

Page 71, OEM 2011 Honda Odyssey Navigation Manual

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Detour
Page 71, OEM 2011 Honda Odyssey Navigation Manual

I'd be darned. You mean all that is written in the owner's manual? Who'd have thunk?
:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...tough crowd.

Yes..I don't have a touring...intentionally. We didn't want the RES. If they had a touring without a RES we would have gotten it. It is something we just believe in.

Yes..aware of the detour...yes..realize this will detour you around certain things.

But..what detour doesn't do is take traffic into consideration when it is planning the optimum route. Should I take highway A, B, or C? Which is faster based on current traffic conditions?

They key for any GPS to be able to do this is having access to traffic DATA. The Nav system does this. But it doesn't use that data do program an ideal route.

So that is why I was dissapointed. Yes..it is a big option to spend and Honda makes a bit deal of advertising the FM traffic. So I assumed, for the price, it would have integrated traffic avoidance. My mistake.

Hopefully this can be a firmware update in the future. They already have the difficult thing...the traffic data.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I should also comment that "Detour" is very different than traffic avoidance. Detour is just that...a detour. It doesn't use any intelligence on traffic conditions to plan your route.

VEry different from a true navigation with FM traffic that would consider traffic conditions as it plans the optimum route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know if you can change the nav system to display time of arrival as opposed to how much time left on the route? I like to know what time I'm getting somewhere as opposed to how long it will take me to get there (Yes, I'm aware I can do the math. I don't want to if I don't have to). My Garmin in my other car does this.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Does anyone know if you can change the nav system to display time of arrival as opposed to how much time left on the route? I like to know what time I'm getting somewhere as opposed to how long it will take me to get there (Yes, I'm aware I can do the math. I don't want to if I don't have to). My Garmin in my other car does this.
The Honda Nav does not offer this, however the cheap $200 portable GPS do, LOL! I did not want the Honda Nav, It comes std with the Touring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW...I called Honda (1-800-1009 opt. 7)to complain about this.

They said they will review all comments on how to improve the product in the future. If you want traffic intelligence installed, or any other navigation change, then I suggest you call as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts