·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
yes...

This looks like the Honda part number
91205-P0X-005

get your parts guy to verify.
Thanks got the seal, van on jacks stands....and i can't get the old seal out, i even tore a bit of it trying.
Any specials tricks for this? searching not helping here, and can't find anything of replacing in the FSM.

Also i found a spring ring at the opening, no idea what its from, thoughts?

Body jewelry Gesture Finger Thumb Wood

Wife is going to kill me if i don't finish this tonight.

EDIT: ok ring is from the inside of the seal, just noticed it on the new one. i guess i'm going to have to rip it out in chunks. Appears to be in there pretty good and a bit brittle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks again for the assistance, this took just as long as both axles to install :)
Ended up using a small pry bar and worked it out slowly. When I reinstalled I ended up going too deep into the opening, so had to carefully remove it and reseat it - hopefully it was to spec.

Went for a 5 min drive, no leaks yet, so crossing my fingers.

For others in the future, what I suspect happened was when I reinstalled the axle I wasn't careful enough inserting it, and it must have dislodged the internal o-ring, leaving a weaker seal and slowly getting by. This time around I was under the van carefully guiding it through.

Got the ruthenium plugs, so that's next on the list, likely followed by the front engine mount (when ever I feel like that task).

I was thinking after the fact I should have made a video so we can post it for future reference, apologies.
I know mrRanger is good that those.

Cheers

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
Ended up using a small pry bar and worked it out slowly. When I reinstalled I ended up going too deep into the opening, so had to carefully remove it and reseat it - hopefully it was to spec.
There's a decent chance that the new seal got damaged on removal, so watch carefully for leaks. I often buy extra seals just in case this happens (more of a risk on cam/crank seals, but same idea on the axle seal). If you have sufficient access, a pry bar is reasonable way to remove an axle seal - they really get stuck in there with age.

In my experience on Toyotas, often switching from OEM axles to aftermarket axles causes a leak (slightly different diameter at the seal surface, maybe?) and requires a new seal. Maybe at this point it would be reasonable to just replace axle seals with the axles every time...

-Charlie

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll admit I didn't read all the posts. I had an issue on 2014 in July. I was driving and made a sharp turn while accelerating at around 35-40 mph. I felt a quick shift like I had hit a significant pot hole, though none was present. A few days afterwards we noticed that the van was pulling significantly to the left. We drove it at regular speeds for about a week, but the van still pulled to the left. I decided to take it in and have the front end aligned. The tech called me back after the alignment and said that after the alignment (with no noticeable deficiencies in the front end suspension components) the van still pulled to the left. I asked him to recheck the tires to see if there was an issue, He found that a belt had broken internally which wasn't obvious when just looking at the tire. We replaced the tire and all was well with the van again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
ok changed the plugs this morning to rutheniums, noticed they are about 2mm shorter when compared to the laser iridiums, van starts and runs fine.

However, my cylinder 2 and 3 at the back are leaking oil pretty bad, suspect either the valve cover gasket (which honda replaced in aug 2019) or the o-rings for the spark plug tube seals...either way i feel like that job is going to be a PITA, might as well consider a valve adjustment, heavy sigh.

Man i miss working on things from the 90s - like my 96 civic hatch, i can climb into the engine bay :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok changed the plugs this morning to rutheniums, noticed they are about 2mm shorter when compared to the laser iridiums, van starts and runs fine.

However, my cylinder 2 and 3 at the back are leaking oil pretty bad, suspect either the valve cover gasket (which honda replaced in aug 2019) or the o-rings for the spark plug tube seals...either way i feel like that job is going to be a PITA, might as well consider a valve adjustment, heavy sigh.

Man i miss working on things from the 90s - like my 96 civic hatch, i can climb into the engine bay :)
Well?? I can't follow, you started with frontend and now everything is wrong with it? Did you not fix the noise or clunking?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts