Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the folding cargo mat for the 2011 Odyssey? I am just about to get an EXL and can't find any description or image of how the mat looks when the third row seats are up?

Does it fold forward into the third row foot-well? Would that interfere with the all-weather floor mats if you have those as well?

Would love any help and/or images anyone can provide.
Thanks!

Link to Accessory image on Honda's website

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have it. You basically fold it up and don't use it when the third seat is upright.

I bought it because our third row seat is almost always down as we carry large strollers. Works great for that purpose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! That explains it. It makes it easy to store (outside the car) when the 3rd row is up, but not to store in the car some way.

I too need to transport strollers most of the time and will have that row down. Guess with the folding design, it's easier to store than a full-length tray would be. I have a full-length cargo mat for my Pilot and it certainly unwieldy and a bear to store when not in the car. :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
144 Posts
is that right, you're supposed to fold it up and remove it when the third row is up?

the item description makes it sound like it's supposed to "fold and accommodate the 3rd-row seating" which makes it sounds like it stays in the vehicle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just got it in the mail -- literally today. I'll set it up, and see what configurations it offers and report back here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We got one and ended up returning the cargo mat. The concept is great - the ability to fold it up and leave it in car when it's not in use, albeit just a little bit unwieldy. However, the thing is so light weight that it would never stay in place. We'd put our double stroller back there and the whole mat would slide forward (towards the front of the van) 2 feet. The back is so deep with the third row folded down that it was not easy to reach in to pull the stroller back out. Additionally, the mat only extends as far as the second row all weather mats.

It's more of a light plastic that just slid around most of the time. There are no hooks to hold it in place, and the lip of the mat doesn't hold onto the edges of the cargo area as it should.

The people at the dealership looked at it and agreed that it didn't seem like a great design when I returned it.

I think we're going to wait to see about the WeatherTech mats when they come out. I was really disappointed in the Honda branded cargo mat. On a side note, we _love_ the cargo liner and the all weather floor mats. I just wish the mat had the same quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apologies for my delay on this. I echo Amy's issues, that the mat doesn't stay in place well. I'm thinking of some method for keeping it in place better.

When it folds up it can't be used across the open cargo tray since it's too weak for that. But I guess the idea is that at least it can be folded up and laid across or vertically against the 3rd-row seat backs if the cargo hold is full. That's certainly more useful that the full-size tray I have in my Pilot. When the back seats are up I either need to take the tray out entirely or roll it up behind the 3rd-row. Either option is bulky and inconvenient.

I don't have the option to return the mat, so I'll just try to make due with it. Other than the sliding issue, it's fine for us.

Anyone have any clever ideas on how best to keep it toward the rear of the cargo hold?

·
Registered
359 Posts
^does it have a lip where you can drill holes in it on the sides or back (near tailgate) and then use those mini-bungee cords to hold it in place?

Disappointing to hear that it doesn't work very well. Maybe I'll wait for the Weathertech mat instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, there is about a 2 inch lip that comes down which is supposed to hold it in place. In theory you could drill holes, buy bungees and hope that:

1. There is a reasonable place to attach them to van that doesn't scratch anything
2. You don't lose the bungees or have to hunt them down every time you take the mat in/out

All that sounds like a lot of unnecessary work. : ) I think I'll wait for Weathertech too!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could do that. I'll look tonight to see where you could put an attachment point. Only thing I worry about with bungees (even small ones) and kids is that if one snaps off, it could do some real bodily harm.

If there's a good enough attachment point, maybe just a light rope wrap-around would be enough to keep it in place without adding any tension behind a hook. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please let us know if you try it... can it sustain the shearing forces that are moving the cover toward the front of the vehicle?

I noticed that there are two little knobs down there on the back wall of the cargo tray area that could be used as a tie-down spot. Drill a small hole in the rear side of the cargo mat on each side, run a light rope through the hole, with a knot on one end to hold it in, and then make a little loop in the other end and run it over the tie-down post. If I get a chance to try this, I'll post photos.

·
Registered
359 Posts
yeah the rope idea sounds better than the small bungees I suggested. Anyways, I just got my new van and I called Weathertech and they are saying another 5 to 7 weeks for their liners. So I just ordered the Honda mats and folding cargo tray instead since we need the floor protection asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
good thing i saw this thread before purchasing the folding cargo tray online. i too am planning to have the 3rd row folded most of the time to make room for the stroller and grocery items, etc. i'm disappointed that the tray slips on the carpeted floor. i think i'll just wait for weathertech to see if what they come up with. i'll have to provide some sort of protection in the meantime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah the rope idea sounds better than the small bungees I suggested. Anyways, I just got my new van and I called Weathertech and they are saying another 5 to 7 weeks for their liners. So I just ordered the Honda mats and folding cargo tray instead since we need the floor protection asap.
i'm assuming that this is the liner:

WeatherTech Automotive Accessories - Cargo Liner - 2011 Honda Odyssey - WeatherTech Custom Cargo and Trunk Liners Cargo Mat

does anyone know if this can be folded?

·
Registered
43 Posts
They just added that cargo liner today or yesterday. I ordered one a few hours ago. I don't think that it folds up. Looks like a solid piece

1 - 20 of 30 Posts