Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Etrailer, the hitch I had on my 2002 will also fit on my new 2011. I noticed that on the 2011 there is a plastic cover under the driver side rear bumper. Has anyone installed a 3rd party hitch? Did you discard this cover or cutout the portion that needed to be cut out and then reinstall it? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the dealer install my hitch at time of purchase. There is some extensive work to install the hitch. I actually just posted request from help on the forum bc the wiring didn't work right. It was resolved by the dealer this morning. During that process, they gave me the wiring diagram and install instructions for their Honda hitch set-up. I will post a copy in a little while so you can see what is involved.

S

·
Registered
730 Posts
This topic is discussed in several threads. The factory hitch sits higher within the chassis and is truly hidden compared to the third party hitches. The factory setup requires the rear bumper cover to be removed and a section notched out so the receiver has higher ground clearance. The third party hitches sit lower and generally will fit all the years. You have to decide which is more important. The third party hitch is cheaper, easy to install, ugly (to some) but you give up ground clearance. The factory is more expensive, more labor intensive to install but gives more clearance and is ,for the most part, truly hidden.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I put mine on, I just cut a corner off that panel and put it back on. The hidden hitch came with info that indicated that it was for an earlier model but it fit with no problems. The hidden hitch does sit lower than the factory one but it's also further back under the vehicle and doesn't stick out from the bumper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. Thanks for the info. I've repainted mine and am ready to install it on my 2011 now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To see the "hidden hitch" on the 11 ody, scroll down about a third of the way on here: Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch for Honda Odyssey 2011 - 87479

More specifically: http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/r/i/rid15433_r2_800.jpg

(I have a "hidden hitch" from my previous 02, it will fit my 11...i'm not going to use it. I'll just save and buy the OEM and have the dealer install it so its covered better with warranty.
Is that how the OEM hitch will look like? Just like the picture you metioned on your post? Is that considered hidden where you can still see the bar?

I'm looking for a hitch where you cannot see the bar. Does one exist for the 2011 and 2012?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is that how the OEM hitch will look like? Just like the picture you metioned on your post? Is that considered hidden where you can still see the bar?

i think that's for aftermarket hitch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I do not think there is a truly hidden aftermarket hitch. There is an install video on youtube that addresses the black plastic cover.

·
Registered
182 Posts

I'm looking for a hitch where you cannot see the bar. Does one exist for the 2011 and 2012?
You want the OEM hitch. There's a little square cut out of the bumper to where the attachments to what you're towing go. Otherwise, everything else (like the bar) is hidden behind the bumper. I really like the look and saving the ground clearance so we're gonna go with OEM when we buy the van.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You want the OEM hitch. There's a little square cut out of the bumper to where the attachments to what you're towing go. Otherwise, everything else (like the bar) is hidden behind the bumper. I really like the look and saving the ground clearance so we're gonna go with OEM when we buy the van.
Yeah you're right. Looks like I will be going with the OEM instead.

Here's a link to the instructions on installing the OEM hitch, wiring, ATF cooler, etc... just in case anyone needs it.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/11hitc.pdf

Btw, does anyone know how much the OEM weighs?

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts