Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a leak yesterday and checked under the van and noticed this. What do u guyz think?

·
Registered
268 Posts
How many miles on your 2011 and which sub-model?

Shot axle half, or blown boot heading towards failure; it happens. There's the disassemble and reboot/repack approach or just replace. Then the debate comes what "brand" of axle half to install.

I just did this with my '07 Toyota Avalon, and NTB "insisted" that the NAPA heavy duty brand was reliable and they've never had one come back. We'll see but so far so good. I think the total w/ labor was $410 for the Avalon. And OEM axle was $460, I considered going that route but we'll see how the NAPA part holds up.

You can also keep driving and throwing grease until this thing really starts to clunk and vibrate; not recommended but you don't have to drop everything immediately.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
437 Posts
That looks like an oil leak, not an axle boot leak. The oil pan is wet, and axle boots normally sling globs or spots of grease instead of wetness.

Look above that area and find the highest spot that is wet with oil. See if you can get a picture from above.

-Charlie

·
Registered
201 Posts
That looks like the gasket for the oil filter housing.
@MrRangerZr1 has a great youtube channel showing how to replace this.

It could also be the valve cover....
I had to change my valve cover and spark plug tube grommets in the back due to severe leaking.
Had the TSB recall for the piston rings ,they had it apart and looks like they reused the gaskets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So did a little more investigations and I think in found the culprit. I don't know if its the valve cover gasket. Here is pic I took today.. The leak is next to the oil dipstick. Is it the valve cover or intake manifold. or is it the valve spool gasket.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
That does look like valve cover from that pic...

Going to make a suggestion here, and to make it easier to isolate the leak.
invest in a can of engine de-greaser like gunk and clean things up.
Then you can isolate a fresh source of the leak.

I had to do this on my 2012 TE to find the source of my rear valve cover leak, turned out one of the spark plug tube seals was gone, and was leaking badly into the spark plug tube then out from under the coil pack, and down the back of the motor.
Hindsight, it would of been easier to remove all the coil packs in the back, to see which one of them was drenched in oil.

What I did to clean things up was remove the plastic engine cover, then spray the de-greaser on all the areas of the block and heads you see dirty with oil, you might need to remove some of the bottom plastic covers as well, and get the car up on a hoist or jack stands to be able to spray those areas clean.

Careful not to get the de-greaser or water on your alternator or ac compressor battery ecu, fuse box or hoses and belts, air intake, just stick to the block and metal bits.
When you're in there with the pressure washer, wrap a sturdy plastic bag around the alternator, or you'll be dealing with more problems than just an oil leak.
:confused:

There are lots of youtube videos on the subject, and you should watch a few before tackling this one.
That or pay someone to do it.

that's my two cents...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think in found the culprit. I don't kn
So did a little more investigations and I think in found the culprit. I don't know if its the valve cover gasket. Here is pic I took today.. The leak is next to the oil dipstick. Is it the valve cover or intake manifold. or is it the valve spool gasket.
I had the same issue. if you do not take care of it, eventually you need to replace the alternator because the oil will get it and destroy it.
Parts are available from eBay, Black For Honda 15815R70A01 15845R70A01 Cylinder Head Solenoid Gasket VTEC Set | eBay and the job is not difficult to do.
This video will help.

it may be the valve cover gasket but it does not hurt to replace the VTEC Gasket first in my opinion

·
Registered
201 Posts
MrRangerZr1 always makes good videos...

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
437 Posts
When you're in there with the pressure washer, wrap a sturdy plastic bag around the alternator, or you'll be dealing with more problems than just an oil leak.
No need to use a pressure washer... A regular hose sprayer should work well enough for this purpose - and is less likely to get water into sensitive places. Now that distributors are long gone, there isn't much you have to avoid with a hose spray in an engine bay... (don't TRY to spray the alternator, but don't be afraid to get it wet)

-Charlie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts