Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to go to Honda dealer to initialize TPMS sensors when swapping wheels (Both Summer and Winter wheels with OEM Honda TPMS sensors)? Does my van allow 2 sets (8 sensors in total) of TPMS sensors?

I did a lot of searches regarding about the TPMS sensors reprogram questions and even went to two honda dealership and still couldn't find my answer, does anyone got a definitely answer or your own experience?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
687 Posts
From what I read, the Honda Odyssey does not store 2 sets of TPMS codes. For our winter set of tires, we decided to go without TPMS. We've been driving around all winter with the red warning light on.

When we change back to the summer tires, we plan to have the dealer reprogram the TPMS since we'll probably get an oil and filter change as well.

;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try this guys, works like a charm......ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool
ATEQ Quickset

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do I have to go to Honda dealer to initialize TPMS sensors when swapping wheels (Both Summer and Winter wheels with OEM Honda TPMS sensors)? Does my van allow 2 sets (8 sensors in total) of TPMS sensors?

I did a lot of searches regarding about the TPMS sensors reprogram questions and even went to two honda dealership and still couldn't find my answer, does anyone got a definitely answer or your own experience?

Thanks in Advance
I'm still looking for an answer to this. This topic has been beaten to death but i still get conflicting information. Two of my local dealers tell me that i will need to get the system reprogrammed everytime i swap from winter wheels to summer wheels whether i have the Touring model or not. Some here declare that only the Touring can remember 2 different sets of codes without reprogramming, but only for the Canadian market cars. Some say that Honda has no such technology for self adjusting to two sets of codes. Then i heard that there's aftermaket cloneable TPMS sensors. Others declare that they just don't bother with a second set of TPMS and drive with a warning light during one season at a time. I've also read that there's an annoying alarm that may sound or that there may be a second warning light perhaps a huge orange warning in the multi information display that may or may not disappear when i hit the "i" button. I can live with covering up the tiny TPMS light but not the light which takes over the MID.
So what are the facts with a 2012 Canadian version Touring? Can it store 2 sets of TPMS? I have no intention to visit a dealer twice a year to reprogram sensors. What can i expect to see or hear on the dash when i buy an extra set of mags w/o TPMS for 6 months of the year?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Cdn Touring does NOT store more than 1 set of codes. I just use an ATEQ Quickset to swap the codes on mine each time. The only thing with that is you need to know what the codes actually ARE and program them into the ATEQ unit. I think that the cloned sensors will work as well (where the second set of wheels has the same set of codes as the first ones).

Apparently the third gen cars will auto detect new sensors but the current fourth gen does not.

Basically the way it works for me is you click the ATEQ into the diagnostic / OBD port and click sun for the summer tires and the snow flake for the winter ones. Then you drive 900 metres and the light will go out. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the response Chris. I plan on buying a set of mags from Honda. I still don't know if aftermarket cloneable sensors are reliable enough. What brand sensors to get and where to get them? Are your sensors Honda originals? Where did you get your ATEQ Quicket? Also how do you retrieve the TPMS ID? Can it be read by the ATEQ or do you need to break the bead on each tire and physically see it? Finally, prior to driving 900 m how many warning lights do you get?
Sorry for all the questions, but it's still up in the air whether i install the sensors. I dont mind a small light on the dash but i would have a problem with beeping sounds and my MID being taken hostage.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I bought my ATEQ quickset right from the head office, which is only 20 mins from where I live in Mississauga Ontario. The sensors I have are all OEM Honda (but I bought the snows used). To get the TPMS ids you need to get someone to read them for you. In my case, the guy at ATEQ used an ATEQ 30 to read the codes for me and then programmed them into the system for me. Remember you need TWO sets of codes. I would imagine that a Honda dealer or any tire shop should be able to do this for you at no charge.

Once you swap them and put the Quickset on and start it up, you will get the TPMS warning light. Once you've driven 900 metres, the light just goes out. It squawks at you for that time but its a small price to pay to avoid paying for it every season. It's a bit of leg work up front but its worth it in the end.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great! Thanks for the info! Let me analyze all that. Btw, are you telling me that if i choose to go without TPMS sensors the dash will squawk at me in addition to the warning light? The car is a 2012 most probably of identical electric components to your 2011.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yes - I'm assuming the 2012 is the exact same as my 2011 so it would most likely squawk and have the light on. The light is annoying because you can't see the distance to empty or avg fuel economy or anything else in the dash on the MID display.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts