Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Repost.

There are similarly many other articles that tip the Sienna.

·
Registered
506 Posts
motortrend.com/roadtests/minivans-vans/1012_2011_toyota_sienna_se_vs_2011_honda_odyssey_ex_l_vs_2010_dodge_caravan_sxt_comparison/index.html

This one tips the Sienna including in areas that are typically Honda's wins such as handling, performance, etc.

Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
jopinoyz said:
sorry if repost..

but links not working...
Sorry, I can't get it to link correctly.

Anyways it was a comparo between the Ody, Sienna and Caravan.

Cheers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That MT review is worthless

Because it compares the Odyssey EX-L to the Sienna SE. The Sienna SE is a totally different animal. The take rate on it is tiny because of the way it is packaged. I live in the minivan capital of the world, I've seen thousands of Siennas...and literally 2 SE's on the road.

It isn't available with leather, DVD, or several other common options. One dealer I talked to doesn't even want to order them, another one said they haven't sold any.

If you compare the Odyssey's handling with the Sienna LE or XLE, its going to be a much different result. And since that's what everyone is buying, that's the more apt comparison.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: That MT review is worthless

MFLetou said:
Because it compares the Odyssey EX-L to the Sienna SE. The Sienna SE is a totally different animal. The take rate on it is tiny because of the way it is packaged. I live in the minivan capital of the world, I've seen thousands of Siennas...and literally 2 SE's on the road.
The SE is a totally different animal? How? It has some tweaks to suspension and a body kit and different options but that doesn't invalidate it as a test vehicle.

MFLetou said:

If you compare the Odyssey's handling with the Sienna LE or XLE, its going to be a much different result. And since that's what everyone is buying, that's the more apt comparison.
What different results are you expecting? The article in question in this thread was primarily referenced in terms of performance and the Ody lost. There have been other articles that tipped the Sienna on handling as well. The key is that they are very close, and much closer than they have been in past years when the Ody was clearly ahead in handling.

On the apt comparison though, when the article was posted around her comparing the Elite to the XLE and the Ody won mainly due to features that was a more incorrect comparison.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: Re: That MT review is worthless

Snobike Mike said:
The SE is a totally different animal? How? It has some tweaks to suspension and a body kit and different options but that doesn't invalidate it as a test vehicle.

What different results are you expecting? The article in question in this thread was primarily referenced in terms of performance and the Ody lost. There have been other articles that tipped the Sienna on handling as well. The key is that they are very close, and much closer than they have been in past years when the Ody was clearly ahead in handling.

On the apt comparison though, when the article was posted around her comparing the Elite to the XLE and the Ody won mainly due to features that was a more incorrect comparison.
It doesn't invalidate it as a test vehicle, but it does invalidate it in a comparsion test. The suspension and the steering are an entirely different setup on the SE. I read the MT article and the things that tipped it in the Sienna's favor (though if you read it you'll see it was basically a coin flip because the author preferred the Dodge, one editor preferred the Honda and the third the Toyota) were...the handling and steering.

The steering feel in the SE and the LE/XLE is completely different. If you go back and read articles about the Sienna when it was introduced, several of them discuss how different the feel was. All of the enthusiast magazines vastly preferred the SE's setup and feel and criticized the other models for their floatiness and soft suspension setup.

I have yet to see anything praising the Sienna for handling unless it was an SE.

I don't question the conclusion that the SE provides excellent handling, but as I said before, you have to make significant compromises in order to get that model that go to the core of why someone would buy a minivan in the first place. Having spent 10 days and several hundred miles driving a 2011 Sienna LE, I can assure you that handling is not a strong suit.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Looks are obviously subjective...but on that alone I'd never buy an '11+ Ody. I don't particularly have a problem with the Sienna..beyond the fact that it's a van. If I gave the Ody a 2 for looks...I'd give the Sienna a 5.

Of course we are talking mimi-vans here so we took a lot more into consideration than just the looks. For example, my wife won't buy the Ody because there are no colors she likes:stupid:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks are obviously subjective...but on that alone I'd never buy an '11+ Ody. I don't particularly have a problem with the Sienna..beyond the fact that it's a van. If I gave the Ody a 2 for looks...I'd give the Sienna a 5.

Of course we are talking mimi-vans here so we took a lot more into consideration than just the looks. For example, my wife won't buy the Ody because there are no colors she likes:stupid:

To each its own. Cheers. The only thing that I like the Sienna more then the Ody is the third row windows can be open outwards. The first gen ody had it and they took it away.

·
Registered
79 Posts

To each its own. Cheers. The only thing that I like the Sienna more then the Ody is the third row windows can be open outwards. The first gen ody had it and they took it away.
Yep and I love the fact the Odyssey will stop when it's suppose to !

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yep and I love the fact the Odyssey will stop when it's suppose to !
Compared to our '05 Ody...the Sienna has Corvette brakes. The accelerator issue? eh I'll take my chances. Odds are better I'll hit the lottery and I don't even play.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Some people never change. They get their opinion and midset tainted and for the life of them, cannot snap out of it. I have had to LOCK 2 prior threads due to this same Toyotas wont stop and all and other either Toyota bashing or Oddy bashing. This conversation is headed the same way. Please don't make me lock a third thread.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some people never change. They get their opinion and midset tainted and for the life of them, cannot snap out of it. I have had to LOCK 2 prior threads due to this same Toyotas wont stop and all and other either Toyota bashing or Oddy bashing. This conversation is headed the same way. Please don't make me lock a third thread.

Yeah I agree. Although I am biased towards the ODY, I did take a hard look at the Sienna, I just can't get over the new front end. I was not bashing Sienna, I was just pointing out things I didn't like about it and also the things I do like a bout it (third row windows pop out). In the end the front end of the Sienna is what killed it. Also the Ody has the highest safety rating.

Honda Media Newsroom - Headlines - 2011 Honda Odyssey Achieves Historic Safety Milestone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

New to this forum and first post. I was in the market in a new minivan and this is my take on the Toyota and Honda. To be specific, I was compairing the Toyota Sienna SE to the Honda Odyssey EX-L.

This is my story........

My wife and I both went and test drove the Sienna and Odyssey. First was the Sienna, I was not initially looking at the SE. As the sales rep drove us to the remote lot that the Siennas were parked in I noticed the SE (black). It stood o7ut from the rest and I became very interested. I really like the look and since this was going to be my first minivan, this was important to me (I typically always had large "Man" drivers, Suburbans or an Excursions, all lifted with the oversized tires etc etc. Now that I am married with two kids I was advised by my wife that we needed a practicable vehicle. My man card was revoked! But my ego is still intact).

We took both the Se and the XLE for a test drive and I really liked the drive of the SE. It was a much better drive than the XLE. Plus the SE was in the price rage we wanted to pay for a new car. I really liked the SE!

We then went and test drove an Odyssey EX-L (my wife was set on a power rear lift gate, both the SE and EX-L have it as a standard as part of the package). In my head, it was ok. I did not think it looked as nice as the SE plus I did not like the gap on the rear panels that the door slid in. I know I know........I was judging mostly on cosmetics. As we left the dealer I noticed a black Odyssey and the door slide gap was not as noticeable, I mentioned to my wife if we get a Honda we are getting a black one. I knew she did not like black and figured this would sway her towards the SE.

With my man card revoked and the desision resting on a her approval I had much work ahead of me.

I conducted my due diligence and fully reviewed both vehicles. Here is a list of my pros and cons.

Sienna SE:

Pros:
Cheaper (little under 35k OTD)
Better looking (my preference)
Better handling, breaking and performance
More leg room in second row (I think there is more leg room in the front seats compared to the EX-L also)
More POWER!
Six speed tranny (resulted in a better takeoff from a stopped position compared to the EX-L five speed)
Two years of free maintenance
Intergated auto start to fob (I have had auto start on my last vehicle and grown to appreciate it)

Cons:
interior not as refined as EX-L
No leather option
Due to the sport suspension I felt the road noise was louder than normal
Small back up camera screen

Odyssey EX-L:

Pros:
Better interior
ECON mode (better gas millage?)
Less road noise
Leather
Easier third seat storage (per my wife)

Cons:
Not as sporty as SE
More expensive (little under 37k OTD)
Less leg room
No free maintenance program

After much deliberation I was able to convince my wife that it was her desion to get the Sienna. This works much better for me instead of trying to plead my desision.

Later in the week I made an appt with a local Toyota dealer who had a SE in stock with the color i wanted via internet pricing. I again test drove it and confirmed the handling. I like!

After the test drive I was advised hy the sales lady she had another appt. I let her handle it due to my wife was not there yet, she was coming by to look at the color since we changed it from black to mica grey. She left me with the keys so I decided to give it a good look over. While sitting in the driver's seat my back started to hurt (I have a sensitive back). I looked at the seats and they seemed very small and not padded very well (more consistant with sport seating due to the package). I also noticed the interior to be very plastic and hard, more so than the EX-L to my memory. While playing with the dash and steering buttons I noticed they were very cheap looking and did not feel very solid, almost like a kids toy. The auto windows did not work. I am not sure if this needs to be enabled prior to purchase. I observed there were tracks on the floor of the second seat area, did not notice before, more stuff for my kids toys, food, etc to fall in to. Also the middle seat after being removed left a plastic tray, you have to step over it to get to the third seat. there were a few other interior things that I noticed.

My wife was running late and I decided that I wanted to look at the EX-L again. I advised the sales lady that I would come back when she was not busy. As I drove out the lot I noticed there was a Honda dealer next door. I stopped and walked in to the showroom. As soon as I walked in I observed a black Odyssey. I test drove the Odyssey any did notice it was not as sporty as the SE but much nicer than the XLE. The seats were very comfortable but lacked the leg room of the SE. Not bad tho. The interior and the layout was much more refined than the SE. Buttons felt like they were better made. The larger back up camera screen with the information is much nicer. I did like the smaller things like the beverage cooler, trash bag ring, removable center counsel and iPod connection. I liked the position of the side door and rear gate since they were near eachother. The SE had the side doors on the dash and the rear gate on the roof by the sunroof control.

The biggest thing was my back did not hurt while seated in the drivers seat.

To make a long story short, sorry about that, we decided to go with to Odyssey. I am very happy with the desision. Ended up purchasing the one I saw in the show room. The only thing to do now is by some new wheels and maybe some new suspension (I do have some slush money saved up)

PS.... after thinking about it for a while. I have a conspiracy theory regarding my wife being late to the Toyota dealer. She may have known that I would venture to the Honda dealer due to my impatience and may been a calculated maneuver. She has been driving Honda's for the majority of her driving exprerence. She never will admit to wanting the Honda over the SE. This is the problem with the revocation of my man card, so confused! ??????? But according to her I am very happy with the desision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts